The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 26

I then had a thought. "Is it set up for communications or emergency work?"

Matt smirked. "No, it's a fancy sedan. It was purchased for communications and emergency use but can't be used for either. It's too softly suspended and isn't real good for a satellite phone much less radios."

I was neither surprised nor impressed. "Get rid of it with as little loss as possible."

"What about the driver?"

I started to say, "You have to be kidding!" Instead, I said, "If there is a place here where he or she can genuinely be useful, good. Otherwise, see if some other department will take him or her. If not, then make a finding that the position is redundant and start termination proceedings. That is the right procedure, isn't it?"

Matt said, "Yes, sir. Don't you want to see it?"

I said, "Matt, I have two perfectly good vehicles of my own. Both are set up for radio work and the truck is good for emergency work. I'm a pretty good driver. If I ever get too important to drive myself, I have been here too long."

"Okay, Bill. The driver is a woman who does have other duties. She has a college degree and is, I think, frustrated being a driver."

"Good, She can lose that frustration. At some point today, have her come by."

He nodded. Gerald came in with his recommendations and I motioned him to a seat taking the report. I went over them. I said, "These are fine, Gerald. They are approved. Should I note that and sign off?" He nodded and I did. I said, "I believe you also have the luck to be in charge of the parking lot?" He nodded. "Other than visitor and handicapped spaces, I want every reserved sign removed. Parking for employees including me is on a first come, first served basis from now on."

Gerald grinned. "I have the guy and a hammer ready. He's more than willing. You know some folks won't like that."

I grinned back. "Maybe they'll get mad and quit."

"You won't be that lucky."

I grinned. "You never know."

He left and April Monroe entered with a flourish. "Mister Anderson, I have some important meetings at the Capitol to soothe some Senators and Representatives who are upset with your appointment. I..."

"Stop." I said abruptly. "Don't do that. Cancel those meetings by phone, text, or email. Then return here. Do it now." I let her hear the steel in my voice.

She whined. "But."

I interrupted again. "Do it now and be back in this office within five minutes. What part of that didn't you understand?"

Her eyes dropped under my stare. "None." I looked at the door and she left.

Albert Wesson was next in the door carrying a single sheet of paper. He said, "I am resigning in protest. I don't think you should be Director." I took his resignation letter and read it. It had a lot of flowery words but made it clear that he didn't agree with the new Director's appointment.

Down at the bottom, I wrote, "Approved." and signed it as Director. "Albert, it's nice to know we agree about something. I don't like the governor's appointment of me either. However, I will do what I can to make sure this agency functions as best it can before I leave. Good bye. You are relieved as of now. Give Matt any items or information that the agency should retain. We will pay you through your notice."

He was a little startled but left. Matt went with him. I had time for two sips of coffee before a very attractive woman in her mid twenties came stalking into the office. She was followed almost immediately by April. Both started to speak.

I held up my hand for silence. I said, "April, have you done what I told you to do?" She nodded, clearly not happy. "Good. You will make no contacts with any person in any government without my prior approval. Any contacts made to you will be reported upon and that report given to me immediately. You will also write up a detailed description of your duties." She nodded. She wanted to say something but left.

I looked at the other young woman. "Ma'am, please tell me who you are and why you're here."

She looked like another unhappy camper. "My name is Tracey Morgan. I am your driver. Why didn't you call? I was at the meeting with the governor earlier to drive you here. Now, I find out that I'm going to be fired."

"Miz Morgan, I didn't know that I had a driver or a car. I have not seen the Director's vehicle but have been told by a reliable sources that it is unfit for emergency work of any kind. Is that correct?" She nodded though not quickly. "I have my own vehicles which are quite serviceable and I am able to drive them. That does appear to make the need for a driver excessive. I hope you have other duties here that are sufficient to justify your continued employment. If not and if you cannot be transferred, you will be terminated. The driver's position is gone."

She said, "Well, that's one relief. I didn't like driving the queen bee around anyway. I wasn't hired to drive."

I said, "What were you hired to do?"

She said, "I am a meteorologist and my original duty was to monitor weather situations and advise about coming storms or other weather-related events that would affect the state."

"Sounds useful though might not keep you busy full-time. What did you think of Horace?"

"I think a number of people missed it. A close look at the jet stream and Mexican weather convinced me that it would head north drawn by upper atmospheric winds. However, I didn't think it would get beyond a category three. I didn't think about how warm the gulf was nor that it wouldn't be pulled north very quickly."

I smiled at her in a friendly way. I had a feeling it was tough to admit an error to her new boss. I said, "You weren't the only one who missed it. Write a report for me detailing what you thought would happen, what did happen, why you were wrong, and what you learned from the whole thing."

Her eyes widened. "It won't be a short report!"

I nodded. "All the more reason why you should get started. It would be nice to get it finished with conclusions before the next one comes our way."

She jerked. "Yes, Sir." She headed for the door. She had to hold it for Terry Russell, who had the title of Assistant Director, Liaison to the Governor. He moved beyond her and she went out the door.

He came in and sat in an easy chair at my motion. He said, "The governor's chief of staff referred me to you for direction. He said he was told that Governor Jemerson would speak to you directly. That is unacceptable and must change."

I purposely moved slowly placing my mug on an end table and looking up at him slowly.

I said slowly. "That might not be the best way to start a conversation with me, Mister Russell. It is acceptable to Ben and to me and will not change. The question for you is, 'what are you going to do about it?' Then I will respond."

He said, "I will call Speaker Johnson's office and get them to straighten things out."

I responded. "Okay." I pulled my phone from my pocket and called Ted Johnson's cell number. "Ted, this is Bill Anderson." I listened and chuckled. "I never have learned to duck quickly enough." Changing the subject, I said, "Ted, Terry Russell is in my new office and is unhappy. Ben and I talk to each other quite well and don't need a 'go between.' Mister Russell finds that unacceptable and expects you to resolve the issue. Let me have you talk to him."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.