The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 22

We went south to the first road below mine and I turned right into it. It was a graveled road and had suffered from Horace.

We hadn't traveled a hundred feet when I had to stop for a tree in the road. I stopped and pulled my chain saw from the back of the pickup along gloves and safety glasses. Eve took the lopers and she and Joan added gloves and safety glasses. They started collecting limbs and casting them to one side or the other of the road. I cut a hole big enough for my truck to pass. Then I had to attach a chain and winch the tree trunk out of the way.

Once that was accomplished and everything stowed back inside the truck, we continued. At the first driveway, we pulled in and looked. The house was demolished. I said, "That's Fred and June's house. I'm pretty sure they were there. We'll need to look. They were and we had to leave them. They had been in bed when the tree fell over their house killing them. I had red paper and tape. I wrote a "2" in magic marker on the paper and placed it on the mailbox with tape. I put the red tape across their drive. We continued on.

We found four more dead and two injured who we could help. Many were trapped in their demolished homes or storm cellars. We must have freed thirty people and I knew all of them, at least by name. Our efforts were tracked by Charles. Two more dirt roads and many hours later, he sent us home thanking all three of us for our efforts. As we headed back for my house, Joan called Todd's cellphone but had to leave a message. She told him what we were doing and asked him to call her or, better still, to join us at my place.

When we pulled up to my house, Todd was there. He came out of his car and opened the door for each lady. He said sternly, "I'm here to take into custody one Joan Tatum who is charged with toying with a police officer."

Joan put her hands behind her and said, "Ooh, handcuffs! We're getting kinky!" She leaned forward and kissed him without moving her hands. Todd enjoyed his kiss though was a little surprised. Joan continued, "I like being arrested and 'taken' by a big police man!"

Eve and I were grinning. Todd looked at me and then pulled Joan tightly to him and kissed her again. He said as officiously as he could manage, "I may have to keep you in custody all night."

"Oh, I hope so!"

Todd looked at me and I said, "Don't look at me. I have a crazy city broad to watch over already. I couldn't handle another if I wanted to." I paused. "She looks like she needs handling." Eve and I were laughing at them. Todd's bluff had been completely called and I could tell he wasn't quite sure what to do. I decided that Joan and he would have to work all that out on their own.

Eve sidled up to me and put her arms around my neck. "Am I a crazy city broad?"

I grinned. "Yes but you're very cuddly, too." I gave her a kiss. She kissed me back easing her body against mine in full contact. We were both grinning when we came up for air.

We got inside and I left the ladies to clean up and change. I went outside followed by Todd. He was looking at me curiously. I said, "I need to check the gas on the generator." He nodded and helped me refill the tank.

He said, "What are you going to do Sunday?"

I replied. "I don't know. There will be much to do here and, with the power off, I need to fill the tank every two days minimum. Eve and I want to be together but she has to go to Nashville for her show. I think you have the same problem."

"Pretty much. She is a great gal and I like her a lot. Bill, I'm happy here. I've never really wanted to live anywhere else. I just don't know if I could follow her to Nashville. I can't do it right now anyway."

We were walking back to the house and stepped to the front porch. "I know. Eve plans to broadcast from here at least part-time. I don't know how it's all going to work out with Eve yet. I want it to work but wanting won't make it happen."

I knew that Eve and I needed to talk before she left for Nashville. I also was pretty sure she wanted me to go there, too. That troubled me because I had obligations here. We were all hungry and when Todd and I walked in, we found that Eve and Joan had started supper. They had found my wine rack and had opened a Merlot and set out four glasses. We came in and Eve said, "Sit down, gentlemen. Bill, please taste the wine. It's to go with beef."

I poured a small bit in the bottom of my glass and went through the process of tasting it. I said, "Considering what I paid for it, it is an excellent wine, hearty and full of flavor."

Eve grinned at me. "Bill, that's good. Pour us all a glass. Move your chair. I need a place to sit." I pretended to move from my chair into another further away from where they were working.

She glanced over and said, "No way, Jose. I expect a spot on your lap." I grinned and moved my chair out, turning it half way. I then poured all four glasses. She sat in my lap and said, "What are we going to do? I have to go to Nashville and I know you have obligations here from the hurricane."

I said, "It's going to be difficult for both of us. However, we have had a good two weeks that has been great for me even with the tragedy through which we are working. We have obligations and must do what we have agreed to do. This romance was never going to be easy and we both knew that going into it. I think Joan and Todd are working out some issues of their own. Doesn't Joan keep your schedule?" Eve nodded. "Perhaps we should go over it and try to figure out what we can do." She nodded again.

She said, "Let's do that after supper. Joan and I need to finish cooking." She kissed me lingeringly and rose to help Joan who had been sitting in Todd's lap. We made the effort to help and everyone cheered up as we ate a good supper. After supper, Joan got her laptop and fired it up on the dining table. Eve, Todd, and I cleared the table and started the dishwasher. We went back into the dining room and I was carrying my paper calendar. Todd kept his on his phone.

We sat at the table with Eve sitting as close to me as possible without actually getting in my lap. Todd was close to Joan but gave her a little more room. Eve said, "How many weeks in Nashville this time?"

Joan said, "Four weeks, then a week in Birmingham, followed by two in Atlanta. After that, you have a week of repeats to make appearances and that week is filling fast. Then you have another four weeks in Nashville, followed by two in Birmingham, and two in Atlanta. After that, you have two weeks, one for appearances and one for vacation. After that is two more weeks in Nashville which completes the current contract."

Eve said, "Usually, the negotiations for the new contract get really serious in that last month. Before then, we pass drafts, collect audience numbers, and look at sponsors."

Joan looked at her and nodded. She then looked at Todd. I can be here every weekend though I will need a place to stay." Todd didn't say anything. She looked at him. "Todd, we aren't blushing virgins. I want you to offer me space in your bed. That is, if you want me."

Todd was red-faced. "I want you, Joan. I want you full time and permanent. I have a house with a big, empty bed. You can work if you want but it's not necessary."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.