The Hurricane of 2020
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

It was tuned to the Weather Channel. The person there was discussing a new tropical storm that had turned north.

Tropical Storm Horace had been slow to develop. It had run a southerly course to our hemisphere and then had run northwesterly above South American without gaining or losing strength. It was working through the Caribbean and now entering the Gulf between Mexico's Yucatan and Cuba turning more northward. The weather person was stating that it appeared to be growing in intensity but that more would be known tomorrow. She said that if the storm maintains its current heading, west Florida and southeast Alabama were lying directly in its path.

Eve said, "Bill, is our trip still on?"

I replied, "Mine is. You might be headed to Nashville."

Eve stood back from me with her hands on her hips and angrily said, "I don't think so. I'm going where you're going. We resolved that weeks ago." I started to say something but the look in her eyes was one I had seen in Jan's eyes. I had never won those arguments and knew my chances of winning hadn't improved with Eve. I just nodded reluctantly.

I was concerned about what could happen to Horace if it traversed the warm waters of the Gulf without changing course. It would be headed for my home again. Somehow, I had the feeling it would not be a weak category one when it made landfall.

We took the limo to the condo. We went inside and exercised. We never left the living room but we both were happily tired and sweaty when we showered together. I put on my suit with a tie while Eve slid into a cocktail dress.

I smiled. "A lot of the EMA directors are older guys. You may be responsible for some heart attacks!" I chuckled.

She looked me in the eye and said slowly and seductively. "I just want to give you a hard attack. Ever since I quit being mad at you, I have had a chance to look and I agree with many other women. You are a hunk. On top of that, you're a gentlemen." She looked at me seriously, "Bill, that's part of your allure to Joan and other women. That's becoming an uncommon trait."

She looked at me with a satisfied look so as to say, "So there!" I just smiled. I pulled on my coat and she slipped into her heels. I offered her my arm which she took and we left the condo.

We go in the limo and were driven to the hotel and went inside. We were following the signs and found the banquet hall and wandered inside. There, we were met by an "earnest young man" who ignored me to fawn over Eve. He escorted her to the head table to a spot where her name was listed. She looked around. She asked, "Where is Bill sitting?"

The EYM said, "Your assistant had called us and we have a spot at a table for him."

Eve said, "I will sit with Bill."

"Miss Baylor, we have managed to find 'Bill' a place. This is a sold-out event. It was quite difficult."

Eve looked at him and smiled grimly. "I'll help you out. We're leaving. Now, you have two spots available." She took my arm and we began to leave the hall.

We had gone about half way when an old friend of mine stopped us as he came in. "Bill Anderson, how in the world are you?" He stared a moment. "Who is this lovely lady?"

"Hello, Grant. It's good to see you, too. This is Eve Baylor. Eve, this is Grant Fowler, an old friend."

"Miss Baylor, it's good to see Bill with a lovely lady since Jan passed. Thank you for coming with him."

The EYM came rushing up. "Mister Fowler, there is a problem. Our speaker is leaving because there is no space for her date at the head table or for her at the table we assigned to him."

Grant looked at him. "I guess you have a problem, son. Unless you want to give the speech, you had better solve it." He looked at us and said, "Bill, Miss Baylor, where are you sitting? When this is over, I would like some time to talk to you. I'm sure my wife, Marlene, would like to talk to you, Miss Baylor."

My sense of humor was about to take over as Eve and I grinned at each other. I said, "Grant, Miss Baylor is the speaker leaving because your "earnest young man" there can't seat us together. We're a bit new as a couple for us to take any separation willingly."

"Mister Fowler, I have an assistant and two guests who have tried to lure him away from me. I'm not letting go nor will I leave him alone. I trust Bill but I don't trust other women."

Grant grinned. "If it weren't serious, it would be funny and it really is anyway." He looked at the EYM. "Son, you have a problem that has gotten worse. I will leave with them. Marlene hates these events anyway and a good meal with a friend and his pretty lady sounds really good at the moment."

The EYM was about to faint. I think he could see his life passing before his eyes. "Mister Fowler, let me see what I can do. I will find a solution somehow."

"That would be a good idea, Son." He left in a hurry.

Grant looked up and continued to speak, "Marlene! Look who's here. He brought our speaker, too."

An attractive woman about Grant's and my age walked up. "Bill, it's very good to see you and to see you out." She noticed Eve. "Miss Baylor, is Bill the rescuer you have talked about on the news and your show?"

Eve grinned. She said, "Yes, he rescued me and I won't let him go. I have decided that he's an altogether lovely man with too many other women casting covetous looks at him. I'm trying to nail him down before anyone else does."

I said, "She's doing a good job. I feel hammered." Everyone laughed.

Marlene said, "Grant, I'm sitting with them. Where will we be located?"

Grant said, "That's a real question. Eve and Bill were told that they would have to separated here and Eve objected saying she wouldn't let Bill go. The young man is supposed to be finding a solution. They had been leaving earlier because he would offer no solution."

Marlene said, "They will have to enlarge the head table or add another table somewhere."

Grant said, "Dear, he now knows that he has to find a solution and I'm sure he will. He looked so worried I thought he might faint. Let's try not to add to his worries."

I said, "Grant, what are you with this bunch?"

Grant said, "I'm currently the First Vice President so I'm the incoming President. I set up this monstrosity except for the speaker." He smiled. "I don't know what I did that so bad to deserve becomoing president but, if I find out, I won't do it again.

"What are you doing up here?"

I shrugged. "Eve came down to Luverne for the weekend and I didn't scare her away. We agreed that I would spend a week here and then, tomorrow, we will spend a week on the farm. We are trying to put an 'us' together."

Eve said, "It's been challenging." She grinned. "I've told him that I will stay down on his farm, barefoot and pregnant, but he wants me to keep the show."

Grant looked surprised but Marlene looked to be in shock. She said, "Miss Baylor, you have to continue the show. Without you, my day would be ruined. It's been hard enough to miss your show this week."

Eve smiled. "You missed Bill on the show on Wednesday then. He was a marvelous guest and didn't melt when I kissed him on national television!"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.