The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

I called Beasley on my personal phone and worked through his receptionist. Before I got to him, I had formed an opinion that he was a nasty individual. When he picked up, he said, "This is Beasley, who the hell are you."

"I'm Bill Anderson as you well know."

"Well, I'm tired of your threats to my client."

"It's no threat. Richard, if he made that deal, was way beyond the scope of his authority. He's dead, there's nothing in writing, and we, meaning Eve, will have nothing to do with it. She has also made the decision that this show will no longer accept advertising through your agency. Now, what part of that do you not understand."

"You can't do that!"

"We have done it. Watch the beginning of the show in which we deliver the news publicly about XYZ. Thus far, we aren't mentioning your company publicly though Eve may decide to change that. I rather suspect she will."

"Richard said he would require all advertising to come through my agency. You have to deal with me."

"Again, Richard is dead. Such a deal, if it existed, was beyond the scope of his authority. There is nothing in writing. It won't happen."

He said, "Did you know Richard?"

"No," I answered. "I became involved after he had breathed his last."

Beasley said, "You had better watch your back."

I said, "Beasley, with people like you in the world, that has been a practice of mine for many, many years. Watch the show. I will talk to Eve and I think your name will appear. Have a life." I thumbed the off button.

I looked at Nick. "If you want to quit, Eve will not hold it against you. Beasley will not be a friend in the future with Eve."

He said, "No. I want to stay. I never liked Richard but I like and respect Eve. I appreciate what you said to Beasley. He will try something."

I grinned. "Yep. We will be making our announcement in," looking at my watch, "in about thirty minutes. Life may get interesting."

After getting and modifying the release from and with Joan, I went to Eve's dressing room door and knocked. "Eve, we need to talk."

"Come in, Bill."

I walked in and she was dressed but being prepared with makeup. She said, "Are we at war with someone?"

I chuckled. "Pretty close. Joe at XYZ isn't too impressive. Beasley is even less. Joe is alarmed but thinks we're bluffing. Beasley is one of those people that I wouldn't do business with because he's sleazy. Joan has prepared a release for you to read at the beginning of the show and then post on social media. Richard was making side deals and I bet was skimming from you and your advertisers ... XYZ is gone and Beasley gets dishonorable mention. The official reason to dump them is unethical conduct on the part of an executive of XYZ and the unethical operation of Beasley. The release will state that the show will not accept advertising through Beasley nor advertising from XYZ.

"You need to know that Joe propositioned Joan. She refused him. Richard said that next time she had to go to bed with him or he would fire her. She told me that she didn't think you knew and was hoping to be protected when the second time came around. I told her that she was in good shape with you."

"Thank you, Bill. It's going to uncomfortable but we'll get through it."

I said, "Yes, I be here if you want me.

Eve said, "I want you, Bill." Her makeup lady grinned but kept working.

I smiled. "Joan also said that the Jones and Jones guy had no problems with that and was only going along with Beasley. At some point, they would love for you to tour their place but at a mutually convenient time. She did a good job and is loyal. Nick did well, also, but isn't as strong on when stands should be taken. Both were worried about this move and its potential ramifications."

Eve looked up at me. "It could get me off this merry go-round. In many ways, I would like that."

I handed her the piece of paper that Joan had prepared. Eve looked it over and said, "It's good, restrained but firm. It's what I suspect you would say if you were in my shoes." I nodded. Eve said, "Jackie, what do you think of him?"

The lady put a few flourishes on Eve's face and looked me up and down. "As a replacement for Richard or in some more romantic setting?"

"Either."

"I didn't like Richard. Romantically, if you decide to throw him back, I want him. He looks yummy." Jackie was in her late twenties or early thirties and quite attractive. I was a little shocked.

Eve said, "I have no intention of throwing him out or back. I just don't know if I'm good enough for him. But I plan to try."

She and Jackie smiled at each other. I kept my mouth shut.

I watched her show from the side. She made her announcement saying it sadly but firmly. She added, "I regret the necessity of making this announcement but this show bears my name. It may not mean much to others but it's what I have. Also, there are two sides to every story and I encourage you to listen to persons from these two companies and form your own opinions and determine your actions. I can only speak to mine."

The rest of the show went normally as she talked to guests and interacted with them and the audience. There was an ease about her actions that I hadn't noticed when watching over the TV. Joan moved next to me. "She is even more relaxed today. Bill, she really cares about you. What are you two going to do?"

"I guess we'll figure it out over time. There are issues."

Suddenly our phones started vibrating. We moved away from the set to answer our phones. My call was from Beasley. He said, "I going to sue you for defamation."

"Okay, talk to your lawyer. The fact that it's true is a superb defense. Since you're going initiate a law suit, we don't need to talk further. Bye." I thumbed him off. I then put his number on my rejected calls list.

Joan had received a call from XYZ's counsel. I heard her say, "Let me let you talk to Mister Anderson. He is handling the matter for Miss Baylor." She handed the phone to me.

I said, "Hello. This is Bill Anderson."

Over the phone, the voice said, "This Mark Rosenthal, General Counsel for XYZ. We would accept an immediate apology and one million dollars in damages to resolve this."

I laughed. "Mister Rosenthal, that won't happen. Your co-worker, Joe, didn't believe how disturbed Miss Baylor was over his activities. Now, you have confirmation that it was no bluff. However, before we wind up in court, you need to decide how important it will be for the entire story to be played out in a public arena. Lawsuits are distressingly matters of public record. We would, of course, file a counterclaim and that means you can't later cut your losses by walking away. You will have to defend that counterclaim. I'm no lawyer but I've been sued before. Miss Baylor will have a good litigation attorney for her counsel.

"You've made your position clear and it has been rejected completely. Is there anything else we should discuss?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.