The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 6

Sunday morning dawned brightly. I got up and showered. I put on my tan suit pants and a dress shirt. I left my tie and suit coat on the bed. I started coffee and jumped into my truck and went to the Jensen's. Eve was waiting for me with her suitcase on the porch. She was drinking coffee with Sarah and Hop and they were laughing together. I said, "Good morning!"

Eve stood when I came to the porch. I almost lost my breath. She was lovely. She was wearing a light blue dress that fit her perfectly and was short enough to show a lovely expanse of gorgeous legs. I gave her a wolf whistle which made her smile. She asked, "Does that mean that you approve?"

I smiled and said, "Heartily." She gave me a light kiss.

I said, "Sarah, Hop, thank you for giving this lovely lady a place to sleep away from my lecherous self. We're going to get some breakfast and go to church. I think I'll skip Sunday school today."

Sarah said, "We're having dinner on the grounds today. I made Eve promise to use her wiles to convince you to stay. It will be easier for your son, too."

I knew that wasn't a battle to fight after a quick look in Eve's eyes. "Okay, we'll stay. That will be good since I'm taking Eve to Atlanta later today."

Sarah said, "We know." She looked at me earnestly. "We'll be praying, Bill."

Hop said, "We'll watch your place, Bill. See you shortly." We went to the truck and headed over to my home.

When we arrived, she said, "Bill, please bring my suitcase inside. I will want to change clothes before we leave for Atlanta." I nodded. I pulled the suitcase into the house and parked it in my room. Everyone was up and Linda had started breakfast while Bill was working with the children. I said, "Linda, the church is having dinner on the grounds today. I need to fix something to bring."

Eve said, "Don't, Bill. Sarah said that she was fixing extra to keep you from having to do that. She said she suspected that your mind wasn't on preparing food." She smirked. Linda was smirking, too. I decided that saying nothing was probably my best ploy.

We had a light breakfast with Trey giving the blessing. He asked God to watch over all of us as we traveled. He also thanked God for Eve coming into our lives. We ate and cleaned up. It was time to go and the grand kids wanted to ride with us in the truck. We loaded up and went to church.

It is an old country church. During the summer, the choir didn't sing but guest singers and members gave us special music. Our pastor was part-time because the church couldn't pay much. The service was good as it usually was. Eve's presence made quite an impact. Harold was seen walking with Martha between Sunday school and church. Eve saw them and whispered to me, "Is that Martha?" I nodded and we walked toward them with her pulling me.

When she got close, Eve said, "Martha, is that you?"

Martha turned and looked at her in shock. "Eve Baylor?"

"Yes, it's good to see you. We saw Harold yesterday and he was so nice." Martha was in awe. Eve went on, "The steaks he cut for Bill were fantastic last night."

Martha had recovered her voice and said, "Thank you. Harold tries to do a good job for all his customers." The church bells started ringing. Eve gave her a quick hug and everyone went inside. The sanctuary was full as always. It has been a good church with an active membership over the years. My son was well-known with his family. They had saved us a spot among the kids. We sat down and, a moment later, the service started. The beginning of the service was led by the church's lay leader or another lay person. I had done this on occasion in the past. After an opening prayer, we sang a call to worship hymn. I found that Eve had a great singing voice and that she knew the hymn. The next thing was announcements. Then came recognition of visitors and guests.

I stood. "I would like to show off my son and his family who are visiting this weekend and my special guest, Eve Baylor." Everyone clapped.

Our lay leader was Greg and he didn't make a big show about who Eve is. He did say, "Eve, you are very welcome here. It's nice to see that all the world's ladies aren't scared off by Bill's looks." That got a polite laugh. We went through the service from there. At the end, our pastor gave the benediction and a blessing for the upcoming meal and the service was over.

Eve was mobbed. She was gracious, continually saying that she was just here as my guest. Miriam finally grabbed her hand and said in a loud voice, "Miss Eve, please come eat with me!"

Eve said, "Okay, Miriam. I would like to sit between you and your grandfather if that's okay." She nodded. Eve pulled me with her and we got in line and filled a plate each. There was more discussion as we went through the line. We sat down with my family and she breathed a sigh of relief. "Bill, I enjoy it but it can be tiring. That's what I have and do like about you. I'm special to you not because I'm well-known but because you know me, warts and all. Be patient, Dear." I gave her arm a gentle caress. The food, as always, was fantastic.

Our pastor came by and thanked her for joining us today in worship. Eve said, "I appreciate Bill bringing me. Hopefully, he will ask me again." I smiled. She ate fairly well as people let her get in bites. It was more the talk that any new person would receive. Our church is friendly and people truly want to get to know any guests. The fact that Eve was pretty and with me didn't slow anyone down. There were a couple of widow ladies who were disappointed but Eve charmed even them.

We finally left saying that my son's family had to drive home and Eve had to get to Atlanta. We loaded back in the truck. Miriam said, "Do people always talk to you that much?"

"Yes, Miriam. If they know I have a TV show, they want to talk to me. The people at church were nicer than most groups. The biggest problem is that they will remember me better than I will remember them. I don't like that but I can't remember everyone's name."

Trey said, "There were an awful lot of people there. I don't know all of them and I've been going every time we visit Grandpa."

Eve said, "I know, Trey. It's difficult but people remember meetings with me and are impressed when they are remembered. Every night, I list those who I have met in a file and a person who works for me puts that information into a computer that I can access. I don't like having to do it but it does work."

Miriam asked, "Are we in that file?"

Eve smiled at her and said, "No, Honey. Very important people to me are listed in my heart. They don't go in a file. Your brother and sister and parents fit into that group."

Joy asked, "What about Grandpa?"

"Your grandfather is in a super special group all by himself." Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Joy settle back with a satisfied smile on her face. We pulled in at the house and everyone got out. Eve said, "I need to change into some more comfortable clothes for traveling. We can figure out what for you to pack after that unless Linda and Bill are ready to leave."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.