Shakespeare - Cover

Shakespeare

Copyright© 2015 by Harry Carton

Chapter 12

While we were waiting in the pinnace, we got periodic updates from the shuttle-Merlin about the asteroid killing. He wanted to tell pinnace-Merlin the details of his nuclear explosions on the non-sun side of the asteroids in an attempt to change their trajectories. That would hopefully get them to fall into the gravity well of the sun and they'd be destroyed. As a means of destruction, it was not as immediate as Gabby's method of shooting them with antimatter, but it was much more effective in terms of total destruction and saved on fusion fuel in addition.

Shuttle-Merlin: "I estimate a total saving of 6% of fuel. I'll still want to scoop some atmosphere from one of the gas giants in this system to reload the fusion reaction."

Me: 'Merlin, why is he sending us all the details like this?'

Pinnace-Merlin: 'He wants to preserve the data, in case he falls into the sun, or encounters trouble during the refueling maneuver. Scooping atmosphere from a gas giant is never a sure thing.'

Me: 'Understood. Wish him good luck, please.'

Pinnace-Merlin: 'I think that abiological constructs, like him or me, do not believe in luck. So that is meaningless.'

Me: 'Really? ... How do you account for the Condition Zulu accident that the Destiny encountered? Surely that was bad luck.'

Pinnace-Merlin: 'Hmmm ... something to ponder.'... "Shuttle: the crew of the Meriah I wishes you good luck on your mission."

There was a longish pause while the shuttle thought about this message.

Shuttle-Merlin: "Thank you, Meriah I."

Pinnace-Merlin (to me): 'I have revised my opinion on luck.'

...

Gabby: 'I think that's all of 'em, Jay. Heads off ... let's get a beer.'

Jay: 'What's next? Robbie are you making any progress with that computer?'

Our deliberations were interrupted by an incoming message from Yerowl:

"Shakespeare: Most gracious of you to give Yerowl the former Bug ships. What do you think we should do with them? They are of no use to us. Merhnah."

While extricating herself from the battleship, Jay talked to us all.

Jay: 'We have some thinking to do. According to USN code, we have been formally abandoned by a superior force "in the face of the enemy." That section was put in, I think, to terminate our pay and death benefits, and done by some R.E.M.F. bean counters to save a few bucks. It clearly states that, as of the date of our abandonment by our superiors, we were officially terminated from the USN. To eliminate liability and possible lawsuit, the equipment we had with us are "given" to the local planetary authority.'

Me: 'What is R.E.M.F., Jay?'

Jay: (laugh) 'An ancient term of endearment. It's a Rear Echelon Mother Fucker.'

Me: 'Ahh ... A term of derision, I take it.'

Robbie: 'An understatement, Shakey.'

Jay: 'So, officially, we have a stolen pinnace and a stolen shuttle and everything, except Shakespeare and Krayshall, belongs to Yerowl, not us: rifles, skinsuits and all the etcetera. That makes us officially pirates.'

Me: 'Ridiculous, Jay.'

Jay: 'Nevertheless ... I want to send Merhnah a message and have it back time-stamped.'

Jay's message:

"To Merhnah

From Jay Nelson

"With the departure of the SS Harrington, Ambassador Morris' flagship, and the abandonment of four crewmembers and two AIs of the Destiny to certain destruction by the Bugs, we are no longer members of the USN, according to USN Code 822.3 titled 'Abandonment in the Face of the Enemy.'

"We hereby apply for asylum to Yerowl and ask that we be authorized to use such equipment as is available to face the Bug invasion.

"Jay Nelson"

And she followed it with:

"Merhnah:

"The ridiculous formality of the previous message is necessary so that we will not be considered stateless pirates by the USN, if and when they show up again.

"Shakespeare and Krayshall have annihilated almost 29,000 Bugs located on four warships. In addition Krayshall has provided insight into the existence of the 'queen' of this fleet, and her escorts. Robertson, Gabrielle and I have destroyed them. Krayshall also provided the crucial information on deciphering the Bug computers.

"If you have any high honors, I would nominate both of them for that honor.

"Gabrielle and the AI in the shuttle, whom we also call Merlin, have destroyed – or are destroying – the asteroids that were hurled at Yerowl, and that threat is no more or will be no more soon.

"I know that these threats were not visible – or perceivable – to the hexapumas of Yerowl, but I hope that Shakespeare's and Krayshall's memories of these horrific events will allow you to see them for yourselves. We also have vids of everything, should you want to see them with your eyes.

"We shall be returning to Yerowl as soon as conditions up here permit, on the two ships of the Yerowlish Navy, the Meriah I and the shuttle, known as Mel622-4.

"Jay Nelson"

It took several hours for a reply to reach us. Merlin said, 'This was broadcast to the shuttle as well. I am shocked and honored at the actions of the Council.'

"To: Crew of the Meriah I and the Mel622-4

From: The Yerowl Council

"Your request for asylum on Yerowl is denied.

"Instead, by unanimous consent of the Council, the four humans are hereby declared full citizens of Yerowl. Jay Nelson is made a member of the ruling Council as Matriarch of the Clan of Off-World citizens of Yerowl.

"We have been informed by Dr. Reston that Merlin, the abiological intelligence of the Meriah I, and the abiological intelligence of the shuttle formerly known as Mel622-4, were never considered citizens of any planet. We acknowledge both as sentient beings and therefore they are offered full citizenship of Yerowl, as well. They will be part of the Off-World Clan should they accept.

"We believe that these beings did not have names, and so we will presume to name the intelligence of the shuttle: Gandalf. As we understand things, he was a great mage of your historical literature. In keeping with a new tradition of Yerowl, the shuttle is renamed in honor of her captain, she is the Shadowfax. Merlin, of course, is already named, as is the Meriah I.

"We look forward to your return to your new home, Yerowl.

"Merhnah, for the Council"

This was great news! The almost instantaneous response from Gandalf reached us a few seconds later.

"To: Council of Yerowl, Merhnah presiding

From: Gandalf

"I am honored and very pleased to accept citizenship of Yerowl. To my knowledge, in recorded history, our kind has never been recognized as sentient, and, with the exception of the first abiological – named Io – never been named before, excepting Merlin, of course.

"Thank you.

"Shadowfax out"

And another coming from Merlin, again instantly upon receipt of the original message from Merhnah.

"To Council of Yerowl, Merhnah presiding

From: Merlin

"Thank you for the offer of citizenship of Yerowl. I accept. All of us that came to Yerowl from the Destiny are grateful for your kindness.

"Meriah I out"

Jay brought us back down from our ebullient state. 'All right, all right. Send a thank you from me, Robbie and Gabby as well ... Now, what are we going to do with these Bug ships? They're behemoths.'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.