Accidental Crossroads - Cover

Accidental Crossroads

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 17

Accidental Crossroads: 17.

"Cassie," John said, "I probably wasn't very honorable in my rescue."

"The portal let you through," she said. "It even let the Powers that Be through."

"Sam?"

"Hello, John." said the healing chamber, "Settle in and get cleaned up."

"Take the Powers first," John said, "I need to talk to the arbiter."

Sam asked the Powers, "You people coming all at once or you going to separate."

"You chose, Sam."

"As soon as Karen Entertainer gets out ... I'll take you incorporated. It'll be quicker."

"How long?" asked John.

"Karen has a sever case of intestinal worms and her hair is positively crawling," said Sam. "The worms are going to take some time."

"Cassie, who is the arbiter?"

"I am, John," said the Ceiling. "Cassie had it right. Now, if the three in the smithy hadn't been armed, you probably wouldn't have made it through the portal.

"The town has a No Weapons in Town rule and the wagon maker was in violation with that dagger."

John interrupted with, "Dagger's ass ... short sword is more like it."

Can a ceiling look annoyed? This one was pissed that John had interrupted, "The Captain of the Guard was pulling his sword ... so you were fine taking him out.

"If you hadn't dodged that hammer you'd been dead, Karen would have burned and the Powers would have been stranded. I'd say, you were honorable dealing with the Jailer and the Merchants. They were very dishonorable to Karen and that falls under the Protecting the Innocent clause.

"You were attacked by outlaws on the way to the bank ... by the way ... the second bank was a good idea because there was a Wanted Poster for both you and Karen at the first bank. Chaosian's understand the rules better than we thought. At least the people in authority do.

"You were burdened with Karen, the staff was across your back. The two rowdies at the second bank saw you as dead meat and Karen as a great fuck. The Powers were exactly right in defending you.

"Besides, you did Cassandra a great service. We had no idea they were that smart," Ceiling said, "You done gooder."

"No repercussions? We're good to go?"

"Soon as Karen Entertainer is making baby ... you're out the door."

"When do I have to come back?" John asked.

"Up to you ... in or out at your discretion." Ceiling said, "We'd appreciate your coming back ... but you have fulfilled your obligation with this shot."

"I've got a house keeper I'd like to bring ... she's a backwoods girl and pretty darn fit."

Cassie shouted, "You have a girlfriend? On Earth? A real Heroes Companion?"

"Hey!" said the Powers.

Cassie blushed, "You know what I mean."

"We do ... just rattling your chain."

"She's not a girlfriend, per se, but I can see myself trapped in her web."

"She's beautiful?" Cassie asked.

"Not like you ... but there's never been an Earth girl like you. As far as Earth standards of beauty? She's a knockout ... true centerfold material."

DING, said Sam.

"She's done?"

"Yup," Sam said, "Sparkling." He paused as Cassie removed Karen Entertainer ... the pair ran off to the bedroom, chattering about seductive clothes and perfect settings ... and REAL food.

When the door closed Sam asked, "Have you ever heard of Nile River Liver Flukes?"

"No," John said.

"It's especially dangerous because it causes a decrease in brain function. Places ... like the Nile river basin ... that have the flukes have populations that are more easily controlled. They tend to "sheeple:" follow the leader. Schistosomiasis is a disease caused by parasitic worms that live in freshwater snails ... we're lucky I caught it early. Her child could have contracted it and had mental difficulties. She's here for the baby ... a defective child would be a tragedy."

"How did she get it?"

"From water that is always warm. 70 degrees and up. That city is on the banks of a north flowing river fed by a huge shallow lake almost on the equator. The surface water can exceed 100 degrees. Even at depths of 60 feet it's still 75 degrees. Ideal weather for the freshwater snails. The lake itself is fed by subterranean hot springs. Evaporation is immense.

"Ok, you powers that be ... climb in. Any musical requests?"

"You never ask me that!" John said.

"You go to sleep ... they don't."

The Seven in One stuck out a tongue at John.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.