The Legal Profession - Cover

The Legal Profession

Copyright© 2015 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 5

We left home early, not sure just how long the drive south would take. Rachel was pensive, quiet.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I'm thinking."

"I can tell."

"We'll talk about it after your meeting. Do you know what the area's like?"

"No. I don't think I've ever been there. But the Medical Service is on Berry Street and the Shoreline Restaurant is on Kinghorne which looks like it runs parallel. So, I thought we'd go there and then worry."

"OK. We'll be fine."

I just drove for a while. Rachel got like that on occasion. A decade ago I thought it was a Japanese thing. Like her grandfather's meditations. But it's not. It's just Rachel.

"Coming up to Woolongong," I said.

"Mmmm."

Half an hour later I said "We're nearly there. Shoreline or Wharf?"

"Wharf?"

"Just the other side of the river. On Wharf Road."

"Oh. Let's stop there."

In a few minutes we were there. It was still before noon.

"You will talk to me later?"

"I promise."

"Any hints?"

Rachel smiled. "Not really. I'm not happy and it's not clear to me what to do."

After we'd eaten, I said I had to get going. Rachel asked the waiter whether she could sit outside and read. "Sure," was the response. She got a book from the car and I drove off.

It turned out that I was at the wrong end of Berry, but I found the Center with ease, parked, and went inside. I asked for and was shown to Craig's office.

"Good to see you again," he began. After only a minute or so of chit-chat he said: "I want to extract you from Jason's clutches."

"What?" I was taken aback.

"I've lost confidence in him. I think he's inclining more towards the government."

He went on to explain that beginning with Abbott's rejection of a proposal to consult Aboriginal people first about recognizing them in the nation's constitution Craig's activities had become less activist.

Though Aboriginal leaders want their own people to agree first on how to move towards constitutional recognition for the country's first peoples, Abbott had said such a move would not gain broader support. And there had been no protest, no rejection.

"True. Indigenous Australians are not mentioned in our constitution and no treaty was ever negotiated with them. But Abbott has pledged to hold a referendum in 2017."

"Do you think that will see Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders recognized as the first Australians? Do you think Abbott will still be PM in two years?

"And then Abbott became the first Australian prime minister to visit the resting place of Eddie Koiki Mabo. Sheer propaganda! Look at what he said. He said he would be focussing on education, health and border security in the Strait! Anything to keep folks quiet! I just don't believe a word. Everything just gets pushed further off!"

"Calm down," I said. "What would you want done?"

"Well, first I'd like to see the Far Northwest stay occupied. Then I'd like to see the occupation extended into Queensland. Get rid of that Indian coal concession. And a linkage with the north of the Territory and with the Noongar claim."

"Wow! You're really very angry."

"Yes. And I think Glen Kelly's wrong."

"Sorry. Who's Kelly?"

"Director of the Southwest Land and Sea folks. Taking paltry cash for land."

I was quiet for a minute.

"You're wrong. And you're letting your heart rule your head. Take a few deep breaths. Sit back. Relax if you can. You're too tense." I looked at him. "Is there something to drink around here?"

"Cola. Coffee. Tea."

"What do you like?"

"Coffee, in general."

"Let's go get coffee."

I knew I had to do or say something to change Craig's mood. When we sat down I took his hand. "Tell me what's bothering you."

"Well, there were a lot of problems after the floods in August. And then I just kept getting more and more irritated with Abbott. I'm not gay, but his attitude on gay marriage was an affront. And then when Julia supported it, he looked a complete prat." He paused and I nodded. "And then there was that visa-check farce in Melbourne. So it came to me that we've got to do something!"

"OK. Every one of your points is valid. But your conclusion isn't. You can't start a revolution. You can't set the clock back. Anyway, where are the Ardlers from?"

He smiled. "Around 1830 there was a German colonist named 'Adler'. There was at least one more in the next decade. One of the Adlers went to work on a station inland. He took two native wives. At some point the baptismal or marriage registries spelled the name wrong. There have been Ardlers in New South Wales for over 150 years."

"Well then, the Ardlers are older than the Hollisters."

"Yes, perhaps. But the Hollisters are more patient. So. What do you suggest?"

"There are more Europeans than Aborigines. Even if you count every mixed-blood, it wouldn't come to 10% of the population. But there are lots of people who would support anything that seemed fair – and, most important, didn't take anything away. That's where the South West Noongar folks are right." I sipped my now-cold coffee.

"Sure. The various bands should own about half the land in Western Australia. But they're not asking to take over the Wheatbelt or the Margaret River or the mines around Kalgoorlie or up in Kimberley. They're accepting small areas of 'sacred' or 'tribal' land and a heap of dosh. That doesn't hurt anyone.

"Now, in the north and in Queensland, Abbott's being stupid. This country may make a lot of money from selling coal to that Indian capitalist. But digging out a harbor and polluting the Great Barrier Reef makes a lot of folks unhappy. Not just the Greens, but the folks who saw the Nemo movies and the world heritage people and a lot of tourists.

"Abbott may not believe in climate change, but he's got to believe it's not good when the UN and thousands of demonstrators are against you and you've got an election in under two years."

"But what do we do?"

"Well, I like your notion of expanding into Queensland. I've read that over 7000 Aboriginal people were removed to 64 missions and reserves established throughout Queensland between 1898 and 1939. We might research whence the people were moved and 'reclaim' some of the locations. Legal claims might be filed. Remember, the last Aboriginal mission in Queensland closed in 1987. The community of Wujal Wujal on Cape York Peninsula was once the Bloomfield River Mission, and remained under the control of the Hope Vale Mission Board until 1987. That's under 30 years ago."

We were still while I thought.

"Innamincka!" I said.

"Eh?"

"Innamincka is a reserve that bridges Queensland and South Australia. My mum saved the life of a chief in that area before I was born. He may still be chief. I'll ask her. But I know the son of his best friend and both his wives. Let me think. When are you next in Sydney?"

"In the New Year."

"Great! I'll do some research. Phone me. And cheer up!"

It took a few more minutes for me to extract myself, but he was clearly feeling better. I got into the car and drove back to Rachel.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.