Protection and Preservation, Book 10 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 10

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 26

In the morning, I made the rounds while David started breakfast. Early on, I saw a couple of late teenaged guys on horses approaching us at a canter. I stood out from the building while the Benson's remained hidden. I said, "Good morning!"

They reined in and approached me walking. One said, "You must be Missus Bobbi. Aren't you one of the leaders?"

I said, "Yes, to both. Who are you?"

The same one said, "I am Josh Randall and he's Jeremy Ruggles. We live on farms next to each other and wanted to see the plane and the people. My father came home and said you people were friendly and flew here from America. Jeremy and I have never been anywhere." He smiled. "Other than that you're beautiful, you look like us."

I asked, "What were you expecting?"

Jeremy shyly said, "I thought you might look different somehow. We don't have women who lead very much. They could but they don't."

I said, "Have you eaten breakfast?" They shook their heads. "Why don't you join us for breakfast? You can meet my husband, David." They nodded happily. I said, "Marsha, Ted, come on out. You're off duty now."

They came out and shocked the boys when they appeared. Josh said, "I thought you were out here by yourself. We worried a little for you to be alone out here with just a pistol."

"I wasn't even if Marsha and Ted hadn't been here. I can take care of myself."

Jeremy said, "Ma'am, we don't have many big animals but there was a gang out here a few months ago. We gathered a posse and ran them off but we only ran them over the Orange. They could have come back. My dad thinks they were looking for women. You would be a target."

I smiled grimly. "It would be a mistake on their part."

Ted said, "Bobbi can probably beat anyone in our camp in a fight except her husband. She is known as a wildcat. The Aborigines named her, Alina Burrangong, which means 'beautiful cat.' Cats have sharp claws." He chuckled and Marsha smiled.

Jeremy said, "Oh." Josh blushed.

We went into the terminal where David greeted me with a quick kiss. "Who are our friends, 'Cat?"

I said, "This is Josh and Jeremy, who live next to each other."

David said, "It's good to see you. We expect more of your people later. Why don't you join us for breakfast?" They nodded. They then watched wide eyed as George and Trina walked up to us.

Trina said, "Uncle David, we have breakfast ready for you and Bobbi. Please join us. Your friends are welcome, too." Trina looked lovely as usual and George stood tall next to her. We had set up some trestle tables and they had claimed an end. The six of us sat down. The two boys were in awe. David grinned and said, "What's the matter, guys? Haven't eihter of you ever seen a pretty girl before?"

Jeremy stammered. "I didn't know there were girls in the world as pretty as her and your wife."

David chuckled. "A nice turn of the phrase, Jeremy. Trina is married to George."

Josh said in a heartfelt tone, "He is a very lucky guy." Trina gave him a brilliant smile that made him feel warm all the way through. I could tell. I figured that Trina had two new admirers and friends.

We ate our meals quietly enjoying our time together.

By the time we finished eating, people were starting to join us from their farms. Within an hour, it was a festive group that had gathered. Joshua was looking around and got a worried look on his face. I was close and said, "What's wrong, Joshua?"

"One family is missing. They live northeast of here along the Orange. I hope nothing is wrong."

I said, "Jeremy and Josh said that you had chased a gang across the Orange. Let me get a dune buggy. It's a wild ride but it's faster than your horses." He nodded. I went into Duck leading him and unshackled a large dune buggy.

I pulled it down the ramp when David came up. He said, "Where are you going, 'Cat?"

"There is a family missing. Joshua was going to point the way and we were going to check on them. There was a gang chased away not long ago. He has concerns."

"Very well. Wear vests, radios and carry some automatic weapons. Call me 'before' you get into something."

He looked at Joshua and said, "She tends to be impetuous. How many men were in that gang?"

Under David's full stare, Joshua gulped but said, "Six or seven with horses."

David said, "We'll take the Humvee with a crew as backup. Joshua, tell your wife and a few others where we're going. 'Cat, get Myra and Tom. SJ and Jacob must stay. Joshua, are there others who can translate?"

He nodded and left. I nodded and left. In a couple of minutes, we returned. Myra and Tom were with me and a huge man as big as my dad, Bennie, was with him. Joshua said, "This is Marcus. Jason is his younger brother."

David nodded and said, "He rides in the Humvee with me. 'Cat, you two will take the dune buggy. Be careful." I gave him a kiss, donned a vest and helmet as Joshua did the same, and we pulled out. David jumped in the Humvee. The helmets had radios in them.

We tested the radios as we left quickly heading for Jason's farm. At the rate our vehicles ran, it took under two minutes. We found Jason alive but wounded in front of his farmhouse. David brought the first aid kit from the Humvee and we brought him around and patched him up. He had been hit in the back of the head with a blunt instrument. As usual with head wounds, it looked worse than it was.

Inside, was no one until Marcus lifted a trap door. Two young children rushed out to him. They were crying that their mother pushed them into the cellar and left them. We found no blood which was promising. Joshua and Marcus conferred with Jason. The consensus was that it was the same gang and they went across the river on horseback. I looked at the river and said to them, "Where is the nearest bridge? We can't cross in the vehicles."

Marcus looked at me and said, "Missy, this isn't your fight and I wouldn't want you to be hurt."

I said, "Jason and his family were coming to see us today. They were our guests. It's our fight, too." I smiled. "We're better prepared for that fight than you guys. You can come along, Marcus. I won't let them hurt you." I grinned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.