Protection and Preservation, Book 10 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 10

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 25

We landed at the O. R. Tambo Airport that was actually closer to Johannesburg rather than Pretoria. Pretoria and Johannesburg were close together like Dallas and Fort Worth in old Texas.

The area had been densely populated and we saw no signs that people tried to live in the cities. We could see signs of people well away from our airport. After a little discussion, we decided to tank up and head out for our next stop, Cape Town. As usual, we only knew these places as spots on a map. If we really hoped to find people, this airport was not the place.

We landed at Cape Town International Airport and sent out our Humvee for its inspection. Our seekers found mountains of fuel including some gasoline that appeared to still be usable! We would tank up in more than one way.

As we came in, we noted that we were again in a large urban area and would have to find other areas to have a realistic hope of finding people. We did have a beach just a few miles away even though it was a bit cool. I had to remind myself that it was winter here!

Our current plan was to head north to Namibia next. That evening, I called a meeting to discuss trying some smaller airports in this country where we had seen signs of people. After some discussion, we agreed to try for two days and up to four places before returning to Cape Town and topping off to head north. Now, I just had to find the places! David agreed to help as did George and Trina.

We got out our map and airport listing. We prepared a list of four that were different. Port Elizabeth would be first. Following it would be Kimberly, Upington, and Springbok. Our total trip would be just over fifteen hundred miles. We wouldn't be looking for fuel and the legs after Port Elizabeth would be short.

We landed at the Port Elizabeth airport and sent out the Humvee. We had seen some smoke and signs of farming south of the airport but not much. The airport was close to the coast with the city north of the airport. We waited while the Humvee made its circuits. SJ reported that all was quiet and I released everyone to roam close to the Duck. Over the internal speakers, I emphasized that people were to stay out of potential lines of fire. I opened the ramp and left it down. Everyone descended onto the asphalt and walked around stretching in the cool air.

After an hour, we loaded back up and left for our next stop, Kimberly. In less than an hour, we arrived at the airport and landed. It was warmer and we saw almost no signs of human habitation as we came into the airport. The Humvee made its inspection and found no signs of people in a long time. After conferring with the others, we left for Upington.

I had noted that the airport there had a long runway but sixteen thousand feet is a long ways when the Duck needs one fifth of that distance. It makes for a long taxi. I read a little bit that it was built to be a major takeoff point for flights to Europe and the space shuttle could even use the runway to land in an emergency! We saw signs of farming and ranching as we landed that weren't far.

I stopped and still had plenty of room for my takeoff. I lowered the ramp and released the Humvee to roam. Within half an hour, we had company in sight. Myra drove the Humvee to within about a hundred yards of the rear of Duck and turned around. We had a small party at our front with heavier arms. The people came toward one side of the Duck. David warned everyone to be alert. He said, "We can see one group. That doesn't mean another group isn't out there. Don't be quick but do be looking."

Our visitors came from the west and our right through the terminal. I hadn't parked close and was still on the main runway about two-thirds from one end. With a mile of runway in front of me, takeoff would be easy. We waited as they approached in wagons and on horseback. David directed the Humvee toward them with another crew covering the rear of the Duck.

As the group closed on the Humvee, SJ and Jacob got out wearing vests and carrying weapons in a casual manner. Jacob said, "Hello, I'm Jacob from America. We would like to talk." We were listening over the radio. The oncoming group stopped and a couple of men began to walk toward my sister and brother in-law.

About ten feet out, one said, "You are speaking English. Many here speak Afrikaans. I speak English. I am Joshua Cumber."

Jacob said, "Good afternoon, Joshua. It is good to meet someone. We are an exploring party from the communities of Protection and Preservation in America. We fly." He waved back at the Duck. "We have much of the old technology. We have no territorial ambitions but just want to be friends. There is plenty of vacant land. We came west from our homes through Asia and Australia and now Africa before crossing the Atlantic for our homes. We search for people hoping to find new friends."

We listened to Joshua translate to the others. I noted that there were no women and no blacks in their group. However, they didn't seem to be aggressive toward us or generally. Joshua said, "We would like friends even though you won't be staying." SJ nodded. He continued, "We don't know how we would be able to maintain contact but will welcome anyone coming from your communities by air."

David said, "SJ, tell them about radios. Ask about their women."

SJ looked up and said, "Where are your women? What are you relations?"

The other man spoke in Afrikaans. Joshua said, "Malcolm said that they are at our homes. We don't want them at risk. My wife is at our farm with our children. She told me to be careful and return to her. Malcolm's wife told him to come home in one piece or she would kill him."

I said, "A worthy sentiment. Jacob and I plan to start a family when we return to our farm and other work. My name is SJ, by the way."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.