Protection and Preservation, Book 10 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 10

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 24

It was still morning when we landed. We found fuel and David called us together. He said, "The nearest beach is almost ten miles. Our next stop is under two hours flight time. I propose that we eat lunch and head to Burma." Many heads nodded. After a moment, David said, "Does anyone object to that plan?" It was quiet. "Hearing none, let's get some lunch and go to Mandalay, Burma." That was what we did.

We landed and went through our usual procedures to find fuel and check on people. We found fuel though not in great quantities and no people. We picked a spot in the terminal area to set up our camp for the night. That evening, we set out our sentries and went to our beds.

It was quiet and, in the morning, we loaded up after breakfast for New Delhi, India. Our flight time was just over four hours.

We found the city and the airport. Indira Gandhi International was inside a very built-up area that had burned. I looked out without hope of seeing any people. I brought us in for a soft landing and taxied closer to terminals. The fire was apparently sufficient to burn the northern part of the airport. I stopped and turned the Humvee loose to check things out. David was looking at our planner for the next stop. He had a frown.

He said, "'Cat, we are going to need fuel or change our plans. The more I look at it, changing plans is a real thought anyway."

At that moment, Jacob came over the radio. "Duck, we have found fuel and it's good. Getting to it with the Duck will not be easy."

I said, "Okay, Jacob. Where do I need to go to approach what you've found?"

[ed. note: I am making this up. If you know the airport, I'm probably wrong.]

Jacob said, "Come around to the west side and proceed north. You can see us after you clear the terminal."

"Roger." I followed his instructions and could see him.

Jacob said, "I see you. I think we need to get some motorcycles or dune buggies out to look things over and think this through."

"Roger." I said. "Fueling crew, please go have a look. Ted, if you aren't currently on the crew, go anyway."

I heard the assents and turned to David. "Love, what are you doing?"

"I'm going over maps. I want to think through more than one recommendation for our discussion tonight."

I helped but it still took time. The fueling crew had to move some old vehicles and other stuff but we were able to taxi over to the fueling area and fill our tanks. There was plenty of good fuel, thank goodness. Myra taxied Duck over to a spot close to where we could stay for the night.

We were having supper when David stood. "I want to talk for a few minutes and then get some opinions afterwards. We are faced with some choices at this point." We had taped a map to some cardboard and put some stars on it. "From here, I can see two choices.

"The first choice is to head home through Europe by flying to Kabul, then to Ashgabut in Turkmenistan, and to Tabriz, Iran, From there, we would go to Istanbul and Milan. Once there, it is a familiar route to our homes.

"The other choice has some change points in it, is longer, and allows us to cover Africa. The flight distances will be kept down so we can go back. That route would take us Karachi, Muscat, Djibouti, Nairobi, Lilonga in Malawi. You will notice I added a stop to prevent distances from getting out of hand. The next stop in our original plan was Recife, Brazil. There was an error in the flight and we can't go that far non-stop. I have traced a path down to the tip of Africa and up the west coast to Monrovia, Liberia. From there, it is one thousand, nine hundred thirty-three miles to Recife. If I'm going to take a chance on being stranded, it will be there in South America not somewhere in Africa.

"Folks, it's up to you. We can cut off some of the southern part of the Africa trip but the old plan won't work. While I like the hope of finding new people, we've been gone a long time. Let's have some discussion and vote on it."

He sat down leaving me standing. Myra said, "Bobbi, what do you think?"

I said, "My rat of a husband won't say but I will. Let's take the long trip. I've been to Milan and was shot there. I haven't been shot at in Africa yet."

Everyone chuckled at that. I looked at Myra. "Your turn, Myra."

She grinned at me. "I agree with Bobbi. Let's make the long trip. First, it's not that long. Second, we said that we would explore. Finally and third, I want to see what I haven't seen before."

There was an up swelling of agreement. Trina raised her hand. "I would like to make the longer trip. George and I agreed that this trip would be our honeymoon. I want it to last longer. I am enjoying being married to George!"

Someone murmured, "George seems to be enjoying it, too." That drew a big laugh.

As things quieted down, I said, "I think we should vote on this. It's important and, no matter which way the vote goes, I will be happy. All those in favor of the long trip through Africa, raise your hands." I counted all but four. "Those wanting the trip through Europe, raise your hands." To my surprise, SJ and Jacob raised their hands along with Caroline and Ellis Williams.

SJ said, "Jacob and I are waiting for us to get home before I will get pregnant unlike you with David." There was laughter and smiles.

Ellis said, "We just want to get back to the States but seeing some more new lands isn't bad."

I said, "The 'ayes' have it and we will take the long route. This meeting is adjourned."

We all spent some time socializing and enjoying the company of friends. Everyone enjoyed watching Trina and George. Their joy in each other and in life is contagious. Caroline and Ellis particularly enjoyed being around them. We finally started to bed down for the night and our sentries took their places. David made the rounds and moved one couple to a safer position. It was quiet.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.