Protection and Preservation, Book 10 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 10

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 12

Basil turned and shouted, "It's okay. We can be friends. Helen, Mary, come meet Bobbi and David from the states."

Two women walked forward. One of them said, "G'day. I'm Helen Ashcroft and this is my friend, Mary Johnson. We're glad to meet you."

I smiled at them. "I'm Roberta Lewis or Bobbi. David and I are married and co-leaders of the expedition that flew in."

Helen said, "We're glad to meet you. We haven't seen any new people in years and I've never seen a plane flying before. We saw you flying here. That's a big plane. Will you stay long? Who flies the plane?"

I said, "It's an old, but good, plane called a C-130. We haven't planned how long we will or will not stay. That depends upon our welcome or lack. As to pilots, both David and I pilot the Duck among others of our group." Behind us, members of our expedition were going about their tasks and making it seem that our numbers were a little larger than they actually were. George walked up with Sophie. As usual, they were holding hands.

George said, "Missus Bobbi, where should we set up the radio?"

I looked at them and smiled. "Use your judgment, George. You know what we need. The antenna will probably make the decision for you."

"Yes, Ma'am." They left. Mary said, "Those are two beautiful young people. I am surprised that you have people that young on your trip."

I said, "George is the grandson of Protection's founder. His parents and siblings died when our other plane was shot down by a rocket over Taiwan. The people doing that paid a steep price. His mother was also our primary medical officer. They and the others are sorely missed. The girl is from Perth and is accompanying us with her parents' permission. We also have a couple with us to represent the interests of Perth"

Both ladies nodded. Helen said, "What radio is George setting up?"

I said, "That is our primary tool. Many of the founders of our communities were amateur radio operators before the Day. Our communities are connected by many radios. We will call home later today. While we may only speak with a few others, there will be hundreds listening all over the world. We use short-range transceivers around the airports. It is a habit that has saved more than a few lives while exploring."

David and their husbands joined us. David said, "All hands, stand down. Duck, power down.

"Ladies, I am Bobbi's husband, David."

I said, "Love, this is Helen Ashcroft and Mary Johnson."

Mary said, "Bobbi, I think I know the answer but are the swords for show or can you use them?"

I replied, "We can use them though I prefer bare hands when fighting ill-intentioned men. It makes their defeat more humiliating." I grinned. Basil gulped.

Helen looked at him and grinned. "Bas, why do I think you might have thought of making a pass at her?"

Basil gulped again. "I thought about it but I said that you would beat me half to death. I have a feeling that an unwanted pass at Bobbi would result in the other half of me getting beaten even faster." Everyone laughed while Basil put an arm around his wife and gently hugged her to him.

He smiled a genuine, sunny smile. "We would be glad to show you around the sights of Sydney, such as they are. Our friends from the other communities should be here in another hour or two."

David said, "Why don't you join us for supper. We have taken over the terminal and can easily find space for more people."

Mary said, "We would be delighted and have brought food, too. I do hope Elanor from Chatswood comes with her husband."

Helen nodded. "May we bring the wagon around to somewhere convenient?"

I nodded. "Sue, Jill, I think you are cooking tonight. We have more for supper and they brought food to share. Where should they bring their wagon?"

Sue said, "The main entrance of the terminal would be best. We were going to set up a buffet line close to the entrance."

I said, "Okay. I'll come with them. Bobbi clear."

Helen said, "You were talking on your local radio?"

I nodded. "Yes, it has a tiny ear phone and a miniature microphone with the radio on my belt." I pointed as I spoke.

Mary asked, "Do they hear everything?"

"No. There is a small button I push to talk to the others."

Helen exclaimed. "That is truly wondrous! Let's go. I want to see what other wonders you have." The three of us left while David and their husbands walked to the terminal. I rode with Helen and Mary in the wagon.

Once at the terminal, they met others of our party. We had fun being together. SJ had joined us as did George with Sophie Our two-meter station had been set up with a loudspeaker. About fifteen minutes after walking into the terminal, our north sentries came on the air, "This is Ruth with Elijah. Control, we have a group approaching from the northeast about to cross the large bridge. Over."

I said, "This is Bobbi. Allow their approach. Elijah is to meet. Take normal precautions. We will take a dune buggy to you."

David came on. "Bobbi, stay here. I will go out with Reggie. Timing suggests that this is the Chatswood group." David and Reggie left and Basil joined us. He actually was a very good and willing helper. I found he was also a wit and a tease.

David came over the radio saying, "All is well. It's the Chatswood group. We are bringing them to the terminal."

A new group came in with David and Reggie. Reggie said, "Mick and Elanor, Morrie and Laurie, please meet a lovely Yank, David's wife, Bobbi. She's also the co-leader of the fliers."

I said, "It's good to meet you." Mick was tall and skinny. Elanor, on the other hand, wasn't five feet tall. She had a wonderful smile but looked like a child. Morrie and Laurie were just regular looking people, nice and looking intelligent. Morrie was particularly interested in our radios. He had maintained a shortwave from his father but never picked us up over his years of listening. It was a reminder to me of how many radio frequencies there were available. I had Jacob and George, ably assisted by Sophie, give him the complete rundown on the radio and what he could do to create a station and join us on the air. He was very excited.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.