The Way Back
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2015 by Always Raining

Mystery Sex Story: Chapter 21 - When Allan Jonsson came out of the coma, he had to start from scratch with a badly battered head and body, beginning with remembering who he was. It was to be a long journey of discovery: reclaiming his previous life and seeking answers to how and why he was nearly murdered.

Caution: This Mystery Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Slow  

We called at the supermarket on the way home; I had three hungry mouths to feed. I allowed the three of them to lead me round the shop while they filled the trolley with all kinds of rubbish, then I completed the tally with some proper food for the evening meal, vegetables and fruit.

When we arrived at the house there was a crowd blocking our way. There was a TV unit from the BBC, another from ITV and a few more, and a number of reporters. They fell back to allow the car to enter and we were subjected to camera flashes as photographers tried to get pictures of us all.

We parked and the children unloaded their things and went inside, while I went to the crowd and told them to leave the premises. Questions flowed free and fast, and I answered none of them until everyone was outside the gate. Then the TV crews lined up and an interviewer thrust a microphone under my nose.

I held up a hand.

"I have nothing to say, precisely because I know nothing. I have no memory of the event leading to today's arrests, nor of the days immediately preceding and succeeding it, so I am unable to comment."

"Mr Johnson," said the interviewer, "How do you feel now the arrests have been made?"

"Tired."

"Have you taken the children away from their mother for safety?"

"The children's mother is assisting the police, and as their father I am looking after them at her request until she gets back home."

"But you've brought them here."

"Yes. This is where I live. They used to live here. They feel comfortable here at what is a stressful time for them."

"Are you pleased that these men have been arrested?"

"Why should I be pleased? As far as I know they are helping the police. As I said before, I know nothing."

"But you must be pleased that progress is being made."

"If progress is being made, that is a good thing. I don't know if progress is being made. Now I would be grateful if you would leave us in peace."

At that I shut the gate and turned away, ignoring the questions shouted after me, about my marriage break-up and my ex-wife's life with Derek.

As I entered the house the phone began to ring. I let it go to the answer phone and no message was left. I changed the outgoing message.

"If you are from the media or the press you will not be answered. Family and friends, leave a message and I'll phone you."

I told the children not to answer the phone, and we got used to it ringing, which it did over and over again. Eventually the number of calls diminished and trickled to a stop.

The rain, which had started while I was at Derek's house continued all day but the lads did not seem to mind. Once inside the door they had grabbed their bags and made for their old bedrooms. Greta had disappeared into the kitchen and I heard the kettle singing as it warmed. I got bedding and made the boys' beds in case Ann wasn't released until the next morning. Greta's bed was already made from her previous visit. The lads were already immersed in their games and hardly noticed me. It was a relief. Soon enough it would hit them that their mother was not around.

Trish rang me on my mobile to say she would be arriving in Manchester on Thursday afternoon, prior to her departure on Friday. I offered her a bed for the night and she accepted. I offered her my bed for the night and she laughed, and accepted again.

For lunch I did them beans on toast, topped with a poached egg and soldiers at the side to dip into it. They fell on it happily.

"Dad," enthused Jan, "we haven't had anything like this since..." he caught himself at the last moment.

"Since I disappeared, Jan?" I completed for him. "Since I was beaten up? Since I was nearly murdered? You can mention it you know."

"Sorry Dad," he said.

"Don't be, son," I replied. "You can say anything to me, you know."

"Are you going to get Mum to come home, Dad?" asked Stefan, assuming he could ask anything as well, as he could of course.

Once again I was put on the spot. I couldn't see any possibility of that happening. I had been thinking about the morning's events while making beds and cooking. Ann hadn't been able to talk about her relationship with Derek with me in the room. I was excluded. All right, I excluded myself, but that was only so I wouldn't be embarrassed by David asking me to leave. The effect was the same.

There were things in her life I was not allowed to know. I fleetingly wondered if there was a longer history to their relationship than I ever knew. Were they having an affair before I was put out of the way? Without a clear memory of the days and weeks immediately before I was attacked I could not know. Was Ann even in on the attack?

I dismissed that idea. She was clearly shocked to be told I had not been with another woman, and that I had been beaten up. She had excluded Derek from further intimacy when she knew I was around. It did not compute. But she could have had a relationship with him which prompted him to put me out of the way. Whatever the truth was, there was no chance we could get together. Too much had happened, but we could be friends.

"It's not as simple as that, Stefan," I temporised. "A lot has happened, and we're no longer married. I don't think it's likely to happen. But we both love you and you will see a lot of both of us from now on."

"I don't want to go back there!" asserted Jan, and the others nodded their agreement.

"Dad," said Greta animatedly. "He's stolen Mum from you. He wormed his way in, the smarmy creep! And to do it he tried to–"

"Greta!" I said sharply, and she stopped, realising she had forgotten her promise.

"Listen, Kids," I said, more calmly. "The right thing to do is to talk to Mum about it."

"Dad," asked Jan, "what's all this with the police? Why have they taken Mum away? And where's Derek?"

Now I knew I would have to tread carefully, but Greta pre-empted me. "The police think he's committed a crime, and they're questioning Mum to see if she knows anything about it."

"Wouldn't be surprised if he's done something," muttered Jan.

I appreciated Greta's delicate intervention. I needed to say nothing.

The afternoon passed. The crowd at the gate thinned and eventually the road was empty again. Greta was doing her revision, after all her A(S) level exams started the following week. It worried me that this upheaval would unsettle her at a crucial time. The boys were in their rooms. As evening approached I decided to make stew and dumplings with stir-fry vegetables. It would be popular with the children and would keep.

We ate and then Jan did his homework; typical lad, doing it at the last minute. Greta took a break from work and went for a shower and hair wash ready for school the next day, then back to work. Stefan had no homework to do. I realised that they were still at school locally and must have been bussed or driven from Hale every day. They could walk from this house.

I switched on the TV for the news. I was not prepared for what I saw. There was the obligatory reporter standing outside one of the Manchester Police Stations. Jan came into the room as he was beginning.

"Police raided addresses in Wythenshawe and Hale today and arrested five men in connection with a severe attack on a local businessman two years ago. Derek Fanshaw of Hale Barns, Craig Wilson, Lee Harper and Gary Grantham of Wythenshaw, and Terence O'Malley of Sale have been helping police since early morning. Later this morning, Mr Fanshaw's partner Mrs Ann Jonsson was also arrested. Mrs Jonsson is the ex-wife of the businessman who was attacked, Allan Jonsson. A statement is expected from the police later this evening.

"Mr Jonsson was badly injured and was not expected to live. Dr. Ahmed of Newcastle General Hospital said that on admission Mr Jonsson was given a three per cent chance of survival."

Newsreader: "Why has it taken over two years for the police to make arrests?"

Reporter: "Well, they tell us that his face was so badly destroyed that he was not recognisable, and all his clothing and property was taken, so nobody knew who he was, and when he came out of his coma he had no memory of who he was either."

My interview was not used, for which I was grateful.

Jan stood transfixed.

"Dad, that's you they're talking about, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Is that right? Did Derek do this to you?"

"Jan. Sit down. No, get Stefan and Greta."

He did and the three of them sat down. I turned off the TV.

"OK," I said. "What happened this morning has just been on the news. I want you to listen very carefully to what I say. No one is guilty until proved guilty. Remember that. No one.

"Derek has been arrested on suspicion, note that, suspicion, of trying to kill me. Three of his workmen are suspected of actually doing the deed. Another man who works for Derek is suspected of leading the three men to me. They are suspected of it."

"But the police must have reasons," said Jan.

"Yes, I'm sure they have."

I gave them the facts; I was getting used to the story.

"They all sound guilty to me," said Greta.

"But not Mum," asserted Stefan. "She wouldn't do that. She loves you, Dad."

Stefan was the most loyal of the three and I admired him for it, and I agreed with him. I couldn't accept that Ann would conspire to have me killed. It was too ridiculous for words.

"I know, Stefan, and I agree with you, but I want you to hold on to the idea that people are innocent until proved guilty. Mum was arrested too. Being arrested does not mean guilty. Clear?"

"Yes, Dad," they chorused doggedly.

As the lads went back upstairs, I heard Jan say, "I bet he did it though," and Stefan, "So do I."

I had done what I could.

Greta once again disappeared to revise, though how she managed it with loud music playing, I didn't know.

By nine there had still been no news of Ann, so I put the lads to bed. Then went through the calls on the answer machine. There was the odd call from cranks, some abusive, one from Jenny and one from Trish asking me to call back when things cooled down. David called at ten on my mobile and said he thought they would be finished soon.

Greta came down when she heard my phone, and having been given the news went to bed. At ten forty-five the doorbell rang. There on the step was Vivienne, and with her a pale and sickly looking Ann.

"Come in," I said. They walked through to the kitchen. I followed and put on the kettle and the pan of stew on to heat. They sat at the table and I joined them while the kettle boiled.

"Ann," I said. "You've really been put through it from the looks of things."

"She's been exonerated, Allan," said Viv. "David told me to tell you that all the others are going to be charged and will be up before the magistrates in the morning."

"I don't understand," said Ann as I made the tea. "I can't believe that Derek would do such a thing. The police must have got it wrong. He's such a gentle person. Why have they hit on him?"

"Didn't the police say anything?" I asked.

"Not a thing. They wanted to know about my ... relationship with Derek. They were working on the idea that I helped him."

"Didn't you?" I asked.

She started.

"No!" she raised her voice. "How can you believe that? I loved you."

"O'Malley said the man who employed him on behalf of someone else, knew when I was going to York and how I would get there."

There was a tense silence, and Ann looked by turns worried and guilty.

"Well Ann?" I asked.

"I might have told Derek I suppose."

"When would you have done that, Ann?"

"Allan!" interrupted Viv. "She's been interrogated all day. Not you as well!"

"Sorry," I said. "I was only trying to show that the police might have a reason for arresting you, Ann."

There was a strained silence. I stood and stirred the stew and put a couple of potatoes into the microwave.

"You look as if you need something to eat, the pair of you. It's nearly ready."

I placed the food before them and they ate in silence. When they had finished and drunk their tea I saw the beginnings of a smile on Ann's face and her complexion took on more colour. I was reminded again how beautiful she was, and how much I had lost.

Then I remembered the News.

"Ann," I said. "Jan caught the news tonight. I got them together and stressed that people are innocent until proven guilty. I was only marginally successful. They all believe that Derek is guilty. They want to live here. I'm just warning you in advance."

"Are you turning them against me now, Allan? Is that what's happening?"

"Ann, if I were doing that I wouldn't be telling you this. They have eyes; they have ears. I just wanted you to be ready if they broach the subject."

"But you want them here."

"Please, Ann," I said, patiently I hoped. "What I want is totally irrelevant, and I'm not sure I could cope. I'm self-sufficient here by myself, but a ready--made family? What matters is what's best for them. Personally I think they're better with you, but they're frightened of Derek – nothing I've said," I added hastily.

"Oh."

Viv stirred. "Time we were going," she told Ann. Did Ann look disappointed?

"Is it all right to say goodnight to the children?" Ann asked.

"Grief, Ann," I said. "Of course. You don't need to ask!"

She smiled and left the room.

Viv lost no time while Ann was out of the room.

"Allan," she said quietly. "Ann is in a bad way. She's been knocked sideways so many times over the past few weeks and today was the last straw. She doesn't know what to make of it all; first she's woken at five-thirty by the police who take her man away without telling her anything, all she got was that he was arrested for attempted murder, then she was arrested and grilled for nearly eight hours. David said they hardly let up. No one's telling her anything and she's confused and frightened. Try to help her, Allan."

"I would have thought her boyfriend would be the one to help," I replied coldly. Why did everyone think I had a responsibility to Ann?

"He's not there and he may not be until the trial."

"Rubbish, Viv. He'll be out on bail tomorrow, and I'll bet O'Malley will be as well, and I'll bet also that by the end of the week, O'Malley will have forgotten about any detail of his part in this business. The other three will be remanded: they've got form."

"Allan, please," she pleaded. "Don't take your frustrations out on me. Ann is now in a dreadful position; she doesn't know whether to trust Derek or not. She's not in possession of all the facts. She needs to know them. You can give her the facts. Please Allan?"

I caved in. "OK Viv," I said, as Ann came back into the room. "If she wants to know anything, she'll have to come to me. I'm not running round after her."

"Who?" asked Ann.

"You." I said curtly.

"Time to go," said Viv.

"What do I do about the lads, Ann? I can get them to school tomorrow, but do you want them to come back to you tomorrow afternoon?"

"I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Can they come back to you, Greta as well?"

I nodded.

"Can I come by tomorrow? I really need to talk to you."

"Why not come early, before they get back from school."

Viv smiled at me lovingly. Yes I'd given in, big fool that I was. Ann looked grateful and said she'd phone to confirm during the day. I told her to phone my mobile; I wasn't sure if I'd be at work.

As we reached the door, Viv hugged me hard.

"Thank you," she whispered. "You're a good man."

"I'm a fool!" I muttered into her ear, and she giggled.

Ann came for her hug, and once again I had her in my arms and the way we fitted together brought the memories of our past intimacy flooding back. She kissed my cheek and I kissed hers. There were tears in her eyes and a lump in my throat.


I don't do cooked breakfasts during the working week, so there were all the boxes of cereals on the kitchen table, a jug of milk and, against my better judgement, a bowl of sugar. Prizing my daughter and elder son out of sleep proved a chore, and that evoked memories of past mornings, though Stefan was up and chirpy in good time. I told them to return to me in the afternoon and we would work out where they would be spending the night.

My original idea was to have them walk to school. Stefan's primary school was nearby and the high school was a twenty-minute walk away, but a look out of the window showed a small band of reporters at the gate so I took them all by car, nearly killing a couple of the news-hounds in the process.

When I returned the posse had gone, so I got my stuff together and went into work. I got a hug and a sensuous kiss from Jenny once we were safely in my office.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.