Ginger - Cover

Ginger

Copyright© 2015 by happyhugo

Chapter 8

Roberta woke us all up, telling the kids it was time to get ready for dinner. It would be time to get the kids out of jeans and into something fancier. I begged Ginger to wear the dress she had removed when we laid down. I went into my own room and put on grey slacks and a plain grey shirt. I had a blazer to wear over it.

I packed a bag to stay in the motel tonight as Roberta and Robin were staying in my room here at the house and Randy and Wendy were staying in Ginger's. Ada was staying at the same motel we were booked in.

Ada drove us to the dinner in her vehicle. Ginger's and my bags were lined up next to me sitting on the back seat while Ginger sat next to her mother. They jabbered away about Ginger's plans as soon as she graduated. Ada was surprised that Ginger was going to a technical institute, rather than to a college.

"Mom, I may have a job offer when I graduate. Pete is the architect for a man who is having a building built in the form of an English Abbey which was constructed in the 1100's. It is going to have a winery, a bakery, a fine dining room, a bistro, micro brewery and a dance hall."

"And what did you have to do to get this job offer?"

Ginger looked at mother. "If it is what you are thinking, I wouldn't and I didn't. Maybe the way my life was a year ago, I would have tried it, but you must remember what I looked like. I looked like a pig with blemishes. A man would laugh at me if I even suggested he swap the use of me for a job. No, Pete and I did it together. He became friends with a girl the same age as me. When she got into trouble she called me and I called Pete." Ginger stopped speaking.

"Well tell me what happened? Ginger giggled extending her mother's frustration.

I spoke, "Ginger, don't drag it out."

"I'm sorry mother. It was the most exciting thing that I ever did and I had to wait hours before I found out if Pete had accomplished what he had set out to do. The girls name is Maria and she has become my friend. Maria is a niece of the man who is building the Abbey. Pete was successful in saving Maria from being abused and the humiliation of rape.

"It was a team effort and it has made Pete and me closer than ever. I'll tell you all about it before we go to bed tonight."

"Tell me more of this Maria. Is she pretty?"

"She is beautiful. She and I are going to the same institute and if Pete is still in the same firm, I will be working in the bakery. The hours will begin in the early morning and I will be home after lunch to meet Pete when he comes home from work. I can't imagine it can get any better than this."

I said from the rear seat, "We are here, follow Randy into the place on the right."

We had an alcove for all of us to sit in. The kids were well behaved. Ada sat next to my mother. Ginger was on her right. Tony, of course sat on mother's left. Mom was actually glowing. I sat way down at the end of the table with the kids around me. On my left was Amy with Roberta and Robin between Ginger and Amy.

On my right were the twins then Wendy and Randy next to Tony. Mother and Ada talked about Ginger. Ada learned that Ginger was now an excellent cook, her school marks had improved to the point she was in the top ten percent in her class; which was why she was to be able to get out of school as soon as her tests were complete. Mother declared that she was proud to have Ginger as her future daughter-in-law.

It was the typical family dinner. As the coffee was being brought after the dessert was mostly consumed, Robin spoke, "Mother Brown, soon to be Redfield, and Pete. I have the figures and am ready to make distribution of the cash and securities from my brother's estate. Roberta and I have already put ours into an account. If you would give me your account number, the attorney will have it transferred tomorrow if you wish. There are still several thousand dollars to come when the house is sold along with the personal property.

"It will be some time before that happens, but both of you are making some changes in your life shortly. If for financial reasons you want to wait until after your weddings, tell me now and I will have it taken care of later."

I spoke immediately. "I'll accept it now. This will put me in a position of strength by being able to offer cash when I buy our home." Ginger jumped up and came down the room and into my arms. I laughed for this was going to give us a nearly debt free start to our lives."

Mom was debating whether to accept it tomorrow or not. Robin said, "Harriet, I wish I could have made this earlier so you could have had more time to think about the best course to take. My attorney has put together some scenarios as to tax obligations. You can look at them tonight and if you want to hold off on accepting the distribution at this time, I can have that arranged."

Robin then came around to me and handed me a slip of paper with figures on it. I looked at it. It was for $268,086.44. Ginger asked, "Pete, may I have the 44 cents?"

"Okay, but don't spend it all in one place." We were positively giddy at our good fortune. I did have a flashback to the years when Roberta was missing from our lives and for the reason she left. Was this worth that sad time? I glanced at her. I think we were thinking the same thing. Oh well the bad times were behind us now.

Our get-together soon broke up. We learned that Tony's three children would be here tomorrow. They would be staying with him at his home and Mom would be there much of the time to get more familiar as their new step-mother. However she would be sleeping at home. Ginger and I would still be at the motel because the house was full. Randy and Wendy offered to skip the wedding on Tuesday, but Mom wouldn't hear of it. This made Ginger particularly happy.

When the dinner broke up, Ada drove us home so I could pick up my car and then we all went to the motel to talk. I felt like a third wheel. Both Ginger and Ada were trying to be nice to each other. Ginger could see I was bored, so she went with Ada to her room to continue talking. I went to bed. It was late when Ginger joined me.

"Pete, I have had the best time talking with my mother. She has changed so much and I love her now more than I ever did."

"It could be that it is you who have changed."

"I know. I have grown up in the last year, haven't I? She has told me a lot about what she did when my father found out he couldn't live with her any longer. I think Mom needed to grow up just like me. I probably would be just like her if you hadn't come along. Pete, would you make love to me?

We had showered already when Randy knocked on our door at seven-thirty in the morning. Wendy had gone to Ada's room to get her and we were headed out to get breakfast. The boys were with their father and we stayed there until Wendy and Ada came to collect us. Ada had to leave by nine-thirty to get to work on time at two in the afternoon.

As we were sitting around the table, Ginger mentioned that she was going to the senior prom next month. Ada and Randy looked at me. He asked, "Are you okay with that, Pete?"

"Yes, of course. It is all part of going to school. Just because Ginger is getting married to me is no reason for me to deny her one of the main events of her life. I would feel terrible if she couldn't go. She has already been asked and I told her to go and have a good time."

"You are pretty trusting." This from Ada.

"Yes, I guess I am. That is what we are building our marriage on."

"Where will you be getting married?"

"We haven't decided yet. Most of our relatives are in this area, so it should be here. It will depend on if Maria can skip school the Monday after the weekend of June three. She is Ginger's maid of honor." We will let you know as soon as this is all finalized. Maria can travel here with me if she can get the time off."

"Maria is the girl you two rescued?"

"That's right, Ada. I think we told you she and Ginger will be going to the same institute."

"Yes. Let me caution you. This Maria may be using Ginger as a friend to get next to you. Did you ever think about that?"

"Of course, and together we have discussed it. We are three friends who care and trust each other. Ginger and I will try to help Maria find some one of her own and we will. She is beautiful enough so it shouldn't be very difficult.

Ada left since she had to work in the afternoon. Wendy and Roberta were getting Mom ready for the wedding. Tony called and said his three children had arrived. They would be staying with him tonight and getting him ready for his own big event tomorrow. Mom had only met her future step-children twice and then not all together at the same time.

"Roberta and Pete, we'll go over this evening. Ginger, do you want to go?"

"No, Robin said he isn't going so I'll stay and play with Amy and the boys."

"Okay, I just didn't want to cut either of you out. Pete, would you bring your laptop? Tony wants to show off what you do. I haven't seen pictures of the house you are buying for Ginger yet either."

"Ginger hasn't decided on which one yet. She likes them both so I guess it is up to me to decide."

"That's what I keep telling him. I get to buy the little stuff and he buys the big things." Ginger was bubbling over with happiness. I think some of it was for my mother.

Tony's children were quiet much like him. His son was a younger version of him. Mom tried to engage his two daughters in conversation, but it was a yes and no exchange. Tony saw that they weren't making much of an impression on Roberta and me.

Tony said to me, "Pete I see you have your laptop with you. Do you have pictures of the houses you are looking at?"

"Yes, and Mom hasn't had time to see them yet. Is it okay to look at them now?"

"Of course. I'm interested because Ginger will be living in it. Which one does she like the best?"

"She won't say." The oldest daughter asked who Ginger was.

"She has been Harriet's companion for the last year while she finished high school. She and Pete are getting married in June. Pete works out in California and Ginger will be going out there to live with him.

"She is still in high school and that would make her younger than you by a whole lot, doesn't it?"

"She is younger than I am, but she is mature for age, wouldn't you say Tony?"

"I would. By the time she gets out of the culinary institute she has chosen, she will be equal to Pete in all things. I'm almost as proud of her as I am of you three. She has had a tough beginning which has tempered her into a fine young woman. By marrying Pete, Harriet and I will have her included in our family. Come on Pete, boot that up so we can help you decide what kind of house you will be living in."

I had single sheets with the stats on the two houses. But virtual tours were offered and we spent an hour looking at both houses. Mom asked, "So which one are you buying? You only have the rest of the week to decide at the price the realtor quoted."

"The second one we looked at." Mom started questioning me why. "Because the way it is situated, I can utilize the small apartment in the rear. It is a permitted zone in that section of the town. It will be just what Maria needs to live in. The two girls are going to the same institute. It will be perfect. That way while I'm off on a project, Ginger will have some company."

Tony's three kids started throwing cold water on my decision. "That won't work. Two unrelated females in one house with a man married to one of them."

This time it was Mom who came to my defense. "I know Ginger and I have met Maria. More importantly Tony and I have gone out with her uncle and his fiancée. Maria has a grandmother who rules her large family like a feudal queen. Pete is quite close to the grandmother, Lenora, and has done her a couple of favors. I applaud Pete's decision to include Maria." Mom wasn't challenged, but they just doubted this wouldn't work.

I then opened up the computer files to what I had been working on for the last year. I think there were somewhat impressed with my abilities. Of course the Abbey wasn't much more than with the foundation and some framing completed so far. They were able to get a good idea of what the project entailed from the sketches and drawings.

"I do have one more project in the works. It is a new church. It is only in the concept stage so far. The details are being drawn up as we speak. This one is pretty much my own idea and it has been approved by the congregation."

Roberta had not entered into any of this. I brought up pictures of Amy and Robin. Roberta shared with Tony's family a little bit about where they lived and what they did for work. She did say that Robin did work for Ginger's father. No one brought up the Brown's family past problems. I'm sure I read Tony correctly that thought it none of his children's business.

Roberta and I sat out in the car while Mom said goodnight to Tony. We had a chance to talk. "You know I was surprised that Tony stuck up for Ginger the way he did and a moment later Mom stuck up for me. Your association with Maria doesn't seem to be a problem in their mind."

"Oh, the subject of Maria has been discussed among all of us. We have come to the conclusion that everything will be fine with Ginger and you being such good friends of the Lopeze family. Here comes Mom. I'm so happy for her. Just think at one time how I hated her. It has all turned to love. I wish Robin and I lived closer to her and Tony. We are also going to miss you and Ginger so much." There was no more time to say anything as Mom slid into the car.

Mom got into the car. "What do you think of my new step-children?"

"They're fine Mom. I don't know them well enough to say."

"I know Pete. I feel the same way. I have the feeling they wonder if I'm not marrying their father for his money. I can understand, but I can't come right and say that I'm not."

"Maybe I can help. Look I'm going to give you a thousand dollars from the settlement for a wedding present. You and Tony can use it anyway you want to. Maybe take a cruise to somewhere while you are on your honeymoon or later sometime while on vacation."

Roberta spoke up. "That's a great idea. Robin and I will do the same. That will show those easterners we aren't cheap."

"You don't have to do that. Tony and I aren't expecting presents."

"But we want to, Mom. We like Tony and we love it that he has asked you to be his wife. You are going to be so happy. Lord knows you deserve some happiness."

"Well thank you, both."

When I told Ginger later that evening, she came with a card that had been signed The Adams Family ... Wendy, Randy, and the boys. There was a check in this for five hundred dollars. Ginger and Roberta had purchased cards so we put our checks in these. We would hand these to Tony tomorrow at the wedding dinner. Shortly after this, Ginger and I headed for the motel. Tomorrow night we would be sleeping at home. Mom and Tony were leaving from the restaurant after the dinner along with Tony's three since they had seats on the same flight.

Ginger's family would be leaving after they came back to the house and gathered up their things. Roberta and Robin were staying one more night and leaving on Wednesday before noon. Ginger and I would have time to spend together until Sunday afternoon when I had to catch the plane for California.

Mom's wedding day went fast for all of us. The wedding was beautiful and Mother was the happiest that I could remember. We were soon sitting down to the wedding feast. Ginger had worn the dress she had worn to meet her mother. I think Tony's two girls and his son imagined my bride to be would be a giggly young school girl and was surprised to see a young, beautiful mature woman.

Ginger engaged all three in conversation, asking about their children and what they did for work. She certainly was better at this than I would ever be and something for me to work on. I was fine when I had a subject, but small talk was an effort for me.

The dinner wound down and it was soon time for Mom and Tony to leave for the airport. Wendy, Randy and Ginger had given Mom and Tony some luggage for a wedding present. It was packed and in the car. I was driving them. Roberta was with me. Mom said good bye to Ginger with tears in her eyes ... tears of happiness. I think Ginger was thinking ahead to her own wedding in coming up in two short months.

Mom said to Roberta and me, "Now you go on home. It will be more than an hour before our flight leaves. Best to spend time with your family. Pete, that means you because Ginger really is family. Tony and I'll be home in three weeks. At that time we'll be getting Ginger ready for her wedding."

"Okay. I'm going to miss you, but don't think about things here. Go on your honeymoon and have fun. I'll keep in touch with Ginger and Maria will too. You can help Ginger with her prom dress when you get home. I wish it was me taking her to the dance, but I can't and I do want her to go. I think Benny Eden will be her date. Besides, Ginger is as big as he is, and I trust her." I smiled for I thought Ginger could handle anything that come up.

"I do too, Pete. It has been only ten months since you brought her home with you. Now I have a husband, an estranged daughter who loves me, and a son I'm so very proud of. I also have Ginger."

Roberta and I left for home after saying good bye. Randy and Wendy were just waiting for us to return to say so long. I was glad Ginger had stayed with her father instead of going to the airport. She saw little enough of him. He did promise to visit Ginger often while she was living alone. Mom would be back in three weeks, but then she was with her husband, leaving Ginger living alone.

Roberta, Robin and Amy left after breakfast the next morning. She had words to say as she left, "Well little brother, our family is separating again. Thank God it isn't like it was when Dad died. Now there is only happiness in our future. I was closer to our father than anyone. I feel he would approve of the decisions we have made in the last several months. He could have had all of that if he had been a stronger person. I'm going to remember the best of him and forget all the rest."

"I am too, Sis." Ginger and I stood hand-in-hand as they drove away. We now turned to each other. "Ginger, I know a preacher hasn't said the words for us yet, but I feel you are my wife. We have four days to pretend. Let's make the most of it."

It took us a day to find out how to be comfortable with each other. We both were trying too hard to show our love. Ginger was acting like she was my slave by anticipating my every need. I woke up to that fact when I realized that it was what I was doing too. She wasn't my slave and I wasn't hers ... we were husband and wife. We talked it over, giggled, made love, and proceeded to make this work without trying so hard.

I called the realtor in California and they did a walking tour through the house we had settled on for Ginger. I made an offer in cash. It was quite a bit below the asking price. They contacted the seller who made a counter offer. I came back again and it was accepted. It actually was seventeen percent below the asking price.

Ginger was thrilled! I gave the realtor my credit card number and had $5,000 withdrawn from my account to bind the deal. I asked that the paperwork be generated as I would be moving into it as soon as possible. The house was empty and I was paying cash so it would be finalized by Thursday of next week if the paperwork was generated by then.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.