Ginger
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2015 by happyhugo

From down on my side of the table came a question. "Do you have a sweetheart? You don't have a wedding ring on."

I peered at the girl who asked. She appeared to be about Ginger's age. I laughed as I said, "Another difficult question. Am I fully committed? No not at this time, but I have a person in mind I hope to be committed to someday. She did some things for me that eased my mind while I was in England. When I first met her she needed help and at the time so did I. We helped each other."

"Would you care to share what you did for her?"

The girl was persistent. "I can, I guess. She was from a broken home and living with her mother. Her mother only had her living with her to make it difficult for her father and giving no guidance at all. She was very unhappy at the situation she found herself in. I met her while she was running away from a party being raided by the police.

"At the time I needed someone to live with my mother who at the time was fast sinking into depression. I had two weeks to get her settled and then I had to leave. When I came home I found my mother and she had bonded and I had a surrogate sister. I see her infrequently and for now I am acting as an older brother. When she gets older our relationship may change."

"She is younger than you, and by how much?"

"Five years in age, but more than that in maturity. She is in her last year of high school. She will have a prom and parties to go to. Then her father is well enough off to send her on to college. I've been to college and a person needs the freedom to make their own choices. She will need to experience the freedom to make these choices on her own."

"You may lose her."

"I may. By the way, what is your name and how old are you?"

"Maria, and I'm seventeen."

"Maria, if I lose her, then in four or five years I'll come looking for you, for she is the same age as you are at present."

Everyone had ceased talking to listen to this exchange. Now they all burst out laughing at my remarks and I finished up my dinner without more questions. Lenora whispered to me. "Maria wants to grow up too fast. She dreams about a different boy every month."

"I was in a committed relationship in college. There were times when I wished I wasn't and my girlfriend finally found our relationship too constricting and left. She was a fine person and if we had freedom when we didn't and didn't have it when we needed it, we might be together right now. If my so called sister feels the same after completing college, we might have a chance at a happy life. For my part, I feel she is worth waiting for even if my chances aren't that certain."

"You remind me of my husband and the way he thought. For now though why don't you go get ready and we'll go dancing. I claim the first dance."

I did dance the first dance with my hostess. It was like holding a feather. When I took her back to her seat she said. "You are a very good dancer. That is my favorite waltz and you did it full justice. You think of your partner always. Thank you, I have thoroughly enjoyed myself.

"Now you should dance with some one nearer your own age. Go ask Maria for a dance. Who knows, you might become her flavor of the month." Lenora laughed as she said this. I took it that it as in some form of a warning not to trifle with Maria, but she thought well enough of me to have a dance with her granddaughter.

I waited until I could see that Maria was waiting for someone to ask her. "Maria, as you know my name is Peter Brown. You can call me Pete. May I have this dance?

"Aren't I too young for you?"

"No, not at all."

"Well, okay I guess. Did you have fun dancing with my grand mother? I saw you whirling around the floor with her. I don't dance like that."

"I'll adapt to whatever the orchestra plays." Maria rose and I took her hand leading her onto the floor. She was tall and willow with dark hair and flashing black eyes. I was half way through the set when I commented, "You are fully as good at dancing as your grand mother."

"Thank you, she is the one who taught me. She demands a lot of us in the family and learning to dance happens to be one of them."

"I'll bet you will look much like she does when you get to be her age. She is beautiful."

"I could take that two ways, as in I do look like her or I'm ugly now and going to show improvement. I think I'll just take it as a compliment. You're pretty smooth. Let's get away from talking about me. Let's go sit down and you can tell me about this seventeen year old girl you are not fully committed to?"

"Maria, I'm not fully committed to the girl, Ginger, but if she was my age I would be. We've helped each other in several ways and want to continue on that same path."

"Pete, you told us how she helped you with your mother. What have you done to help her?"

"I don't want to go into too much detail, but I will tell you she was from a broken home, her mother ignored her most of the time. Her self esteem was at zero and she was on a downhill path of self destruction. Case in point, I asked her if she wanted a job to help me with my mother. She called her mother and all her mother said was to leave a copy of my address on the kitchen table.

"What mother would do that if they loved their sixteen-year-old daughter? The mother did call a couple of days later, but by that time Ginger was settling in with my mother. Her father on the other hand, who was just paying support, called immediately after he found out she had left her mother and moved. When I returned from England from doing work for your uncle, I took her to see him. Her father fixed it so Ginger could live with my mother and go to school from there."

"He must approve of not only your mother, but you as well. Is there anything else you have done for each other?"

I didn't want to share anything about Roberta. Not her business. "No. I tell you what, if you are interested in having a new friend, I will give you her email address and you can correspond. She'll want to know all about how I'm doing working for your uncle. You can tell her all about your life here in California."

"I'd love to have a new friend. Won't she be jealous of me being your friend?"

"No more than I'm going to be with her going out to parties and all that being a senior entails. Maria, I was in a relationship in college for two years. According to the girl I was too dedicated to my classes and we parted. Now I have a job and for the time being I'm going to be very busy. I want to do right by your uncle. This is my first project and I want it to be a success. I won't have time to even look for somebody until Ginger is a little older."

"That's stupid. She is free to go out on dates and stuff, but you are going to deny yourself."

"Maybe, but by the time she is old enough to become a wife, I'll be established as a good architect and can support her. Two or three years aren't too long. If it doesn't work out with Ginger, then I really haven't lost too much time because that is when I'm planning on settling down anyway."

"It seems like an age to me. I have lots of boyfriends and I enjoy being with all of them." I wondered. What she had said about having a lot of boyfriends didn't ring true. Just then Maria's mother came up and queried what we were discussing.

Maria answered. "Pete was telling me about his girl. He is crazy. He could be having a relationship with her but is going to wait forever before asking."

"Dear, maybe he is wise and knows it wouldn't work out at present, but would at a later date."

"Thank you Mrs. Lopez. That was what I was trying to tell her. Would you care to dance with me? I see a young man has been waiting patiently for me to let him dance with Maria."

"That's one of her cousins. He has a crush on her."

"Mom, that's my business. Why does everyone treat me like I was a child?"

"Well?" I expected Maria to explode, but instead she giggled and winked at me. Mrs. Lopez was smiling. I danced out onto the floor. All the women I had danced with so far were wonderful dancers. We talked and I was told my partner's name was Delores. Fernando was her brother-in-law. I took it that all six siblings of the Lopez clan were very close.

Again it was mentioned that Fernando was the youngest and the family had been waiting for him to find an interest in his life that he could apply himself to. This vineyard seemed to be it and with the grandmother pushing, the whole family had got behind him wanting it to succeed. It wasn't said, but I gathered it wasn't a matter of money so much, but the feeling everyone should have a place in life. This was to be Fernando's.

While I had Delores in my arms I mentioned that I was going to give Maria Ginger's address to her so they could become email pals. "What about Maria and you and what happens if she becomes interested in you?"

"I won't let that happen. My heart is set on Ginger. There are other things that have happened since Ginger came into my life that makes me believe we were meant for each other. I'm willing to give it a few years to see if my feelings aren't going to play out."

"Would you share them with me?"

"No, I don't think I will. Don't get me wrong, this is something that went on in my family before Ginger came to live with my mother and me. Ginger is now part of it, but it is too personal to try to explain at the present time."

"Fair enough. I was just concerned for my daughter."

"I promise I will always treat Maria with respect."

I called Ginger the next day and explained that I had met a girl who was the same age as she and I had piqued her interest about the girl I had helped. I was going to have them exchange emails. "Great, then I can hear more about you that I wouldn't otherwise."

"Ginger, I didn't think about that. Maybe I had better not."

"Too late Pete. Now that I know about her, you have to." I laughed and promised I would give out her address which I did after tracking Maria down an hour later.

I had to work three days before the New Year's Holiday. I did stay at the Lopez villa, but I didn't interact with anyone except Fernando as I rode with him back and forth to work. He was only interested in discussing how the plans were coming. The firm had the foundation plans almost completed. Now we were working on the design of how the building was to be framed.

The façade or front of the building was going to be very similar to the construction of the original that I had seen in England and the ones I had retrieved the details from the library. In the main building we were thinking of incorporating various gothic designs.

We would use ribbed vaulting for the below ground bistro where the pub and brewery were located. This would support the restaurant and fine dining room on the floor above. The restaurant would have peaked arches to support the roof. To support the walls that supported the roof, a flying buttress design would be incorporated. Strength was the main criteria here because of the construction being susceptible to the damage from earthquakes.

However, great cathedrals had been built using these designs and they were still standing after centuries. Whether this construction would be permitted remained to be seen. This was where the architectural firm came in. They were the one to defend the design to conform to the laws in place for new construction.

Again on New Years there was a dance to attend. This was a Ball and it was crowded and less reserved than the one on Christmas. I learned a little more about the Lopez family while dancing. Everyone in our group was on the floor dancing so I headed across the room where I could see a beautiful woman sitting by herself. She was a striking individual and I gave no thought to why no one was asking her to go out on the floor.

As I approached her I could see there was no ring on her finger. "Hello, Ms., would you care to dance?"

The woman looked up at me. She appeared to be in her middle thirties and extremely attractive. Instead of answering me, she asked, "Didn't I see you arrive with the Lopez family? I don't think they would approve if we danced."

"Oh, why is that?"

"Let me just say they wouldn't."

"Please, I don't have a partner at the moment. Come, dance with me. I don't pay too much attention to those who don't approve of what I do."

"Okay, but remember I warned you. Your name would be?"

"Peter Brown, and you are?"

"Adoria Gonzalas." Adoria rose when I extended my hand and came into my arms. We circled out onto the floor. Very subtly she guided me into a corner out of the general flow of the dancers.

I asked, "Okay, share with me why I'm going to be in trouble by asking you to dance?"

"Because of a stupid mistake ... mostly by me and my jealousy."

"More details if you don't mind?"

"Fernando and I were engaged to be married. After we were engaged, I heard a rumor that he was seeing a woman who was a previous lover of his. He flew to France and England and the woman went with him on the plane. I became insanely jealous and when he arrived home, I told him I had an affair while he was gone to make things even."

"And did you have an affair?"

"No, I just said that. I do love Fernando very much, but he won't listen to me and I doubt he would believe me if I said I had lied. I would even accept that he did have an affair with this other woman if he would believe me and take me back. Needless to say his whole family is against me."

"Wow, this is a problem, isn't it?" Do you have any idea if Fernando has any love left for you?"

"I believe he does. I have been in contact with Delores. She claims he won't let anyone even mention my name, but at the same time he gets a sad look on his face. Oh, if I could only talk to him. Delores tells me his time is taken up with some new business he is trying to start and when that gets further along, she will try to get us together so we can get back together."

"Have you spoken to the Senora? She might be more effective at this than Delores."

"Oh, I don't believe she would speak to me. I'm a little afraid of her as she wields so much power in the family."

"She does that. Let's forget your problem and enjoy the music. You dance beautifully."

"Thank you. You do very well for one so young."

I waltzed Adoria out of our corner and around the room. I could see Lenora sitting by herself at her table next to the dance floor. We had danced close to Fernando, who was dancing with one of his sister-in-laws. He stopped dead on the floor and looked after us when I whirled Adoria around. My partner was looking over her shoulder at Fernando as soon as she had a chance and stumbled momentarily herself.

She looked up at me. "I know he still loves me. I'm going to call him tomorrow. He might take my call."

"I think you may need more than that. Let me seat you with Lenora. She really isn't one to be fearful of. I know for I felt the same when we first met. Just be honest with her." I forcefully guided Adoria to the table. "Lenora, Adoria would like to sit with you for a few minutes. Would you entertain her while I dance with Maria? I have been waiting to dance with her again."

"Of course, Peter. Go find my grand daughter." Lenora stretched out her hand to Adoria. "Adoria, it has been months since we talked last. I was so disappointed when you and Fernando broke it off. Would you tell me what happened between the two of you? Although we were never close, I was so looking forward to having you for my daughter-in-law." I left the two women with their heads together and went searching for Maria.

I found Maria as she was just sitting down. "Hi Pete. Sit with me. I want to talk to you. I haven't seen you for five days. I've been on the internet with Ginger. She is still at her father's until tomorrow evening when she and your mother are driving back to Minneapolis. Oh, you have to be dancing with me when the ball drops when the New Year comes in. Promise me you will?"

We sat there making small talk. It wasn't long until she spotted her grandmother talking to Adoria. She commented, "Wow, we may find out what happened between Uncle Fernando and Adoria. They were engaged and we all thought they would be married by this time.

"Neither she nor Uncle has explained what happened between them. Uncle has been broken hearted. That is why he has been so involved with the vineyard and the new building and is why he has been pushing your firm so hard. It is has been his way of forgetting the break up with Adoria."

"How do you know all of this if you don't know what caused the breakup?"

"Well, that is what my parents are saying anyway. Uncle has always been kind of free and easy and has never let anything bother him. He changed when he returned from England and threw his efforts into this new project of his."

"That may be and this also has been good for me because your uncle has been attentive to the project I am charged with moving toward completion. I have seen that Fernando hasn't been very happy except on a few occasions. I have been puzzled by his actions, but never thought about it being a woman that troubled him."

"The family knows what has been bothering him." She was staring intently across the room. I turned to see what she was looking at. Lenora and Adoria were seated, and Fernando was standing there talking to his mother. At first he did not glance at Adoria at all. We could see Lenora was talking emphatically to first one and then the other. When she ceased, Fernando reached his hand to Adoria and she came up into his arms.

Adoria tucked her face into the neck of Fernando as he hugged her tightly to him. They stood practically motionless for more than a minute. When she pulled her head back and we, who were watching, could see tears rolling down her face. There were tears in Fernando's eyes as well. The band struck up a waltz at this moment and the couple whirled away.

"Wow, I wonder what caused them to get back together? It had to be something Gram said to both of them. I wonder how Gram got Adoria to sit down with her. Oh, it is almost midnight. You promised you would be with me when the ball drops. Let's be dancing when it happens."

I was laughing, knowing Maria was thinking out loud. It was a few minutes later when the clock reached twelve. Maria stopped and said, "Ginger said to give you a kiss at midnight. This is from her with love." Maria held me close and I leaned down and kissed her on the lips. I didn't put much passion into the kiss, but Maria knew she had been kissed.

"Maria, I feel we are going to be long-term friends. May I give you a kiss as your friend?" She didn't say anything one way or another, just closing her eyes and raising her lips.

After dinner on New Years Day at the villa, I decided to return to my motel. I had met and conversed during my stay with most everyone in the family. They all seemed to like me. Lenora had a minute with me as I was leaving.

"Peter, it was a joy having you with us for the holidays. I also want to thank you for bringing Adoria to sit with me. I had a nice talk with her and it convinced me that Fernando had it all wrong about her. There was too much jealousy on both their parts. My son will be taking a few days off from what he has been doing. He wants his and Adoria's relationship to resume. I think that is wise."

Lenora smiled. "Also, I convinced Adoria that I wasn't a person to be leery off. I'm sure we will become friends. After all she may soon be my daughter-in-law." She paused and then went on, "That brings us to me and you. I consider you to be my friend. If at any time I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to call. I will expect you to visit on occasion as well."

"Thank you, Senora. I have had a wonderful holiday. I will visit again soon. My work with Fernando's project is no where near finished so I am sure we will see each other quite often."

Maria caught up to me just as I was getting into my car. "Hey Pete, I just got off the computer with Ginger. I told her I gave you her kiss and I also told her you gave me a kiss for myself. She started to get jealous, but I corrected her thinking. I told her it was like a person kissing her brother. I wish someone cared for me like she cares for you. You had better call her when you get to your motel."

"I plan to. Maria, thank you for being my friend. Your grandmother has invited me to drop in anytime so I will be seeing you occasionally."

"I know she did, because I asked her to invite you. She questioned my motives which I passed off as me just being your friend. I suppose I shouldn't wish myself older, but it doesn't seem as if I'm ever going to lose my cherry. Boys my age are just so young. I only find older men attractive."

"I suppose you have someone like me in mind?"

"I could wish for someone very much like you, but then you're taken, so you are safe with me."

"That may be. Maria, I take it that Ginger hasn't shared her earlier lifestyle with you. This is before I met her anyway. You might question her how she felt by giving her virginity away and what followed when men and boys found out she had. I do believe she regretted it and wishes she had waited until she was older. Now we shouldn't be having this conversation as it is too intense for me. Not for me really, but because you professed to being Ginger's friend."

"Pete, I'm sorry and I was taking advantage of you. You are just so easy to talk to and you know so much about life. One other thing I wanted to mention. You know I asked Gram how come Adoria came and sat down with her the night of the ball. She said she was just sitting there and you danced Adoria right up to the table and then left her there. A little later Fernando came to the table. She thinks there will soon be a wedding.

"I told Ginger about it and she said that is something you would do."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.