"Little" Sister

Copyright© 2015 by PocketRocket

Chapter 16: White Plains

In the morning, I chased down Francine. She was doing tea and toast. That had to suck, given her three pot a day coffee habit. Still, Francine was looking upbeat. I assumed the news on her movie was good, so I did not ask.

I said, "You look better. The news on the movie must be good."

She said, "It is, but the real news is that Sheila is feeling better. I don't know why, but I catch her morning sickness. You did not find me to inquire about my health or the movie. What's up?"

I said, "Deirdre Walters."

Francine's eyes flew wide. Before I could say another word, her phone was out. In minutes I was invited to Sunday dinner with Angela Molinari and Pedro de la Garza, at their home in White Plains, NY. Naturally, I was to bring my assistant. I did not need a road map, but Francine laid one out anyway.

"Angela will play hostess, but her health is frail. Don't expect to see much of her. Pedro wants to see you again, which probably means he wants people to meet you. Put your phone on record and make sure the battery is charged. With Pedro doing the introduction, anyone and everyone there will at least read any resume or proposal you send. This is a very big deal, but you can handle it. Just remember the party in Manhattan and you'll be fine.

"Now, can I borrow Little Miss Cums-a-lot? I have a serious itch and Jason is in California." Francine Martel, you have to love her or strangle her.

She went to find Christine, while I went to tell Elspeth. It turned out they were together. Elspeth was trying to learn something about something. With Christine, that is a recipe for frustration. I mimed a keyboard, to which Christine smiled and nodded. I bumped two fists together and nodded to Francine. Same song, second verse. As they left, I heard Francine say something about teaching body language.

Elspeth was worried. I explained that I had arranged a meeting for her, with Deirdre Walters, which caused excitement. As I explained the whens and wheres, she became steadily more excited. When I was finished, Elspeth threw her arms around me and danced. The meeting was for her, but she was excited for me.

Sean was just as bad. He started making calls to see who would be at the dinner. Sheila rolled her eyes. Ten minutes later she produced a list. After an hour, Sean gave me half the names. As usual, Sheila's point was subtle but effective. Sean tried to tap the grapevine. Sheila went to the source. I gave Sean's list to Elspeth as confirmed attendees. I called Sheila's list "possible others". Elspeth just dropped Sean's list to grab Sheila's. I said she was smart.

By late Saturday, I knew enough to be scared spitless, while Elspeth was deeply impressed. The first time I met her, Elspeth was with a mid level accountant for First Boston National Bank. The CFO of Chase Manhattan Bank was on the list. It was a money list. These were not the decision makers; they were the check writers and the bankers. I wondered what that meant, til I realized that this list was for Elspeth. It was the start for her Rolodex. Damn Skippy.

Sean was sending the Mercedes with the bags. That being the case, I decided to arrive in the chauffeured car, with Elspeth bringing the sporty one. I could send Russell ahead if things were going well. When I gave Shadow's keys to Elspeth, I looked her in the eye and willed her to understand how much I loved my car. I think she understood.

It was a gated community, no big surprise. Russell stopped awhile at the gate. As we drove up the lane, he told me he was checking on arrangements for Shadow. I felt like I was smuggling Elspeth in, which in a sense I was.

The dinner was a lesson for me in a number of ways. I was rubbing elbows with some very influential people. In another part of the house, Elspeth was meeting with their staffs. My first lesson was that I had no control over the second part. Elspeth was being thrown in the deep end. I could only hope for the best. The second lesson was that this was about me as much as about Elspeth.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.