Alone and Afraid
Chapter 5: Goging to ‘Gusta

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

That seemed to end the conversation for now. I did go into the kitchen and both the two older women followed me. We watched Jennifer prepare lunch in silence.

When lunch was ready, we all helped serve our plates and sat down. Karen prayed and we dug in. The food was good. The conversation wasn’t in some ways. We talked about our lives before the vanishing. I found out that Karen was a widow for three years when her husband had been killed in a workplace accident. Lisa had been married and her husband and kids had vanished. Jennifer had lost her fiance.

Karen asked me again what I planned to do. I said, “I am going back to Augusta. Bert and Ed are making plans to survive. I plan to help them and learn. The three of us foresee a day when there will be no electricity and no fuel available. We will prepare for that day. They both said that they will welcome people. They realize like I do that we need to build a community.”

Karen said, “When would you leave?”

“If it’s just me, then I will leave after we finish eating. If any or all of you want to come, I will wait while you pack. No matter what you do, I would like to exchange phone numbers.”

After that, it was quiet for a while. Finally, Lisa said, “I would like to go with you. I would like a new start in life.” It was even quieter after that. When we finished eating, Lisa rose and cleared the table. She said, “Brian, it won’t take me long to pack. I’m living next door. I will be back shortly.”

She left me with Jennifer and Karen. It was quiet. I had refilled my lemonade and sat sipping it. Finally, Karen said, “I understand how she feels but I will stay here. My life has always been here and I have no desire to change or start over now.” I gave her a grim smile and nodded that I understood.

Jennifer was the only one not saying anything. I couldn’t think of anything to say and didn’t want to try to pressure anyone. A decision to go or stay should be made by the individual regardless of what I thought might be best. After a long silence, Jennifer said, “I’m glad you’re staying Karen. I would have stayed here alone but I’m glad you’ll be here for company.” She didn’t say anything else.

We sat in silence for a few more minutes. Lisa came back inside and said, “I have two suitcases and need a little help.”

I said, “Okay, Lisa. Let me write down my number.” I did that. Neither of the other two did anything nor did they offer to give me their numbers. I was disappointed but tried not to shrug or let any emotion show. All stood up. Lisa hugged Jennifer and I offered my hand to Karen who shook it gently. Lisa moved to Karen and I offered my hand to Jennifer who seemed to not see it. I did shrug at that and followed Lisa out the door.

We placed her suitcases in my car and I drove away. Lisa said, “I bet you’re surprised that neither one left and the explanations were sketchy.”

I nodded slowly. “That’s true. Jennifer wouldn’t even shake my hand as we left.”

Lisa said, “I’m not surprised. It’s a lengthy story but we have time. First, I want to know what will be expected of me.”

“I’m not sure how to explain or answer that. You would be a partner in our group fight for survival. I think I can speak for Ed and Bert that nothing more than normal expectations appropriate to any other person would be expected of you. I will fight to protect your right to be free and chose and to stay with someone or no one.”

Lisa looked a bit relieved. “I thought you were that type of man. That’s why I left with you. A very different type came by last Tuesday. Karen met him. They went to her home and he raped her. Jennifer heard her screams and brought a pistol. She shot him. They never were sure of men before all this and that cemented their feelings about your gender, particularly Jennifer. I think they are wrong in that and even more wrong about you. Karen is Jennifer’s aunt though I don’t know if that explains anything.”

“Some. I’m sorry for their situation. My personal opinion is that it will not work out well for either of them. I am not a gun person but have decided that I must learn. There are too few of us but I ran into a person, a woman, who shot first. She killed Taylor who was no threat. Taylor was running away from her scared. I managed to take the woman’s rifle and kill her. It wasn’t something I wanted to do but wanted revenge at that moment. Later, I have decided that some people are not good to have around because they will represent a source of infection against any future that anyone tries to build. I don’t know if I said that well but people killing others except in self-defense are not good.”

Lisa said, “I understand. You have to protect yourself and those who are your friends. There will be people who will take advantage of the fact that there are no police around to enforce peace. Now, there is only one way to stop them.”

We rode along for most of an hour honking and slowed more going through Chattanooga with even more honking. It didn’t matter. No one responded to the honking or lights. Finally, we were just starting to move south toward Georgia when Lisa’s phone began to ring.

“Hello. Karen? What’s happening?”

Lisa put the phone on speaker as I pulled to the side of the road. Lisa said, “Slow down, Karen. Tell me what’s going on.”

Over the phone was Karen’s voice. “Jennifer shot herself. It wasn’t an accident. She had been despondent since Jimmy vanished. She just didn’t know what to do with this world but I knew she wouldn’t leave with you and Brian. That’s why I said I was staying.

“I’m not sure what to do now. Jennifer is gone and I’m alone.”

I took the phone and put my hand over it. I whispered, “Go back?” She nodded reluctantly. I removed my hand and nodded at Lisa.

She said, “Karen, we’re turning around and heading back. We’ll talk through this. We are hurrying. Okay?”

I had turned around and heard Karen’s voice say, “Thank you. I’ll wait for you here.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.