MY SECRET LIFE
Chapter 6

 

Just before we were about to leave, I said, “Code Yellow.”

“Yes, Connor, what can I do for you?”

“For future visits from the military, could we please get a list of the Ranks and Insignias for each of the US military Branches?””

“For what purposes, Connor?”

I was expecting that. “We both would like to be respectful, knowing and addressing them by Rank, even if not by name, when we are again visited. That doesn’t violate any protocol issues, does it?”

“No Connor, it does not. Will there be anything else?”

“Not at this time, thank you?”


We spent the beginning of the next day, reading the books we got.

There were no big ticker events to deal with, as I went from device to device in the lab. I started learning the differences between Erlenmeyer Flasks and Florence Flasks, which were many.

While my expertise is in Chemistry, it was more learned Chemistry, not practical, which I was anxious to get involved in.

“Oh, Connor, come here please?” Betty said.

I went over and she told me, “Ovulation occurs midway through the menstrual cycle. And that the most fertile time for a human female is the seven to eight days surrounding that midpoint.”

“Excellent, Miss Lemon. So, if the most fertile time is then, the least fertile time must begin about four days after the menstrual cycle?”

“Unless, the Ovum just stays there waiting for sperm. If it doesn’t get fertilized, it all gets washed out during the next period,” she said.

“So, you are speculating that the ovum may just lay around waiting to be fertilized?” I asked. “It could be the sperm that sits and waits.”

That made her giggle loudly, and then she got serious again.

“That might mean that the time before a period begins is safer than the time afterwards,” she speculated out loud.

“This is stuff that nobody is working on, I’m sure of that,” I said.

“By teenagers who have never had sex,” she added. “At least ... I haven’t, Connor.”

“Let’s keep focused, Betty, please?”

“Sorry Mr. Williams!” she did give me a peck on the cheek.

“We appear stuck again, so does that mean we find something new to look at, Connor?”

“First let’s look over the ranks and insignia we received?”

“All right, I was calling him Colonel, but it appears he was only a Lieutenant Colonel, so I unintentionally gave him a raise in rank, didn’t I?”

“He was still a bully,” I said, “treating you like that.”

“I’ll bet even his wife doesn’t talk back to him like that,” Betty said.

We tried to remember some of the insignia he and his cohorts were wearing, but we both decided it was a waste of time for now.

“It doesn’t appear they are expecting something flashy, new and breathtaking every day,” I established, “You have your books, I’ll peruse the equipment again, All right?”

“Sounds good,” she responded.

She wandered away and came back into my peripheral view wearing a very pristine white lab coat, with one for me, with our names stitched in red in cursive. Another step in the right direction for the team of Williams-Lemon.

“We have six of them each,” she said.

“Excellent,” I said in return. I walked over to one of the four Lab Islands we had, on wheels just like the chairs. On our first day, there I walked up to one and it rolled away. It wasn’t until I looked closely I saw that two opposite corners had a device to step on to lock the wheel in place. Fascinating, we didn’t have those in high school, at least not yet.

“Code Yellow”

“Yes Connor? What can I do for you?”

“The locked cabinets ... where are the keys to open them?”

“Which one do you wish to open, Connor?”

“Does that matter? We are doing pure research on whatever we feel we wish to work on.”

“Mr. Evans asked me to keep track of what you wished to use, chemically and/or medicinally. It’s for your own safety, Connor.”

“So, that means, what exactly?”

“You tell me what you wish to use and I will make it available to you within the hour.”

“We are not allowed to open the cabinets on our own is what you are saying. How does that help us to create spontaneous research?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.