MY SECRET LIFE
Chapter 4

 

After lunch, we tinkered with some of our toys but didn’t get much else done on what we had started.

We cut a bit of hair from each other and put it under the microscope. This whole thing was quite amazing.

“Code Yellow,” Betty said.

“Yes, Miss Lemon ... how can I help you?”

It was a man’s voice now, but I wasn’t jealous.

“Could we get a complete list of the entire inventory of machinery, equipment, and supplies that are in here and available for our use, and the instructions for all of that use?” (Another great idea of hers)

“It will all be there tomorrow, Miss Lemon. Will there be anything else at this time?””

“No, thank you,” she said.

Fifteen minutes later, we saw Mr. Evans for the first time all day, since we were dropped off.

“How was it, today?” he asked.

“Amazing,” we said practically together. I added, “Give me a bedroom, refrigerator and a closet and I would never leave!”

“Is that how you feel as well, Miss Lemon?”

“Give me a separate bedroom and closet and I would indeed be hard-pressed to have a reason to leave here.”

“For the rest of the week, you may get a visitor or two, people you may recognize. We get military people, scientists, and the occasional politician coming by here from time to time. That won’t be a problem, will it?”

“No Sir, not at all,” I said.

“May we talk to them?” Betty asked.

“Only if they speak first to you, please? Are you ready to head home?” he asked.

“Nobody is out looking for us with guns, are they? I asked.

Betty laughed at that, getting her books. I put them in my large traveling book bag, and we were on our way home, with our masks on for most of the trip.

When we got three blocks from my house, I said, “Come on in, Betty. My mother said she wanted to meet you.”

“You don’t need to stay, we’ll get her home,” I said to our driver.

“Yes Sir, no problem. Thank you, and see you in the morning.”

He turned around, ostensibly heading back to wherever we were all day.

At the door was my mother, “What happened to your car, dear?” she asked Betty.

“I think it had a battery problem, Mother ... this is Elizabeth Lemon, Elizabeth, this is my mother, Susannah Williams. My father passed away a few years ago, so it’s just her and me these days.”

“Lovely to meet you. Connor talks about you all the time when we happen to encounter one another at school,” Betty said taking her hand for a quick moment.

“Could you stay for dinner?” my mother asked her. “It isn’t often Connor brings home such a lovely young lady.”

“Provided I can telephone my house first, please?” she said.

“Our Bell telephone is besides you. Please go ahead and telephone whoever it is you need to, my dear. Connor, let’s give her some privacy, please? Come into the kitchen with me.”

As soon as we were alone, mother said, “She is perfect for you Connor, even if she is older than you are.”

“Mother, you would have said that no matter what the girl looked like ... if anything were to happen, let it happen on its own, please?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.