Earth's Core
Chapter 6: Welcome To Glorious Ground

Copyright© 2016 by Lonahora

Zax passed his gaze at the battle that was enfolding.

WHOOSH!

He moved faster than anyone present could see, appearing right next the body of the first leader.

Slipping his hand inside the small space between the first leader’s chest and armor, he retrieved the Pure Core along with a small sack, filled with a strange round object.

In Zax previous estimation, when he used his Soul Sense to examine the Gray Lords right before their arrival, he discovered the first leader keeping close to his chest a small sack with quite the precious content, a Pure Core. One of a grown two scales Deformed Being. In other words ... a near Peak second realm Pure Core!

In New Earth, Zax might have led a modest financial life for himself. He was accustomed to his Martial household’s mindset of following the Martial path, and even at his parents’ home, although he never lacked anything as a child, there was still plenty that other children had and he did not, for all sort of reasons that, due to the way he was raised, he never questioned.

Now, though, things were different. He arrived to a new world with one intention among several, which was to reasonably integrate into the culture and local population. Despite having the capacity to live off the wild lands, with such manner he might as well return to New Earth. By selling the Pure Core he obtained it will be a lot simpler to get familiar with Ercas Mir’ currency and achieve his goals.

“Here”. Zax handed Mendor his Pure Core back.

Mendor took note of the little sack Zax grabbed for himself and quickly forgot about it. Regardless of what was the treasure inside, he did not have the gall to want it. From his experience, in his profession sometimes it was preferable to remain oblivious.

“Mendor, hero Zax”, Garnet joined the two as his warriors and mercenaries subdued the surrendering bandits.

After seeing him taking out the three leaders, it was impossible for Garnet to not look at Zax in a new light, no longer the young talented expert with good heart who helped them kill the Black Chrome Alligator, but a deity who descended from above, sent by their God. As such, the honorific title “Hero” before his name now naturally came out of his mouth, with no other meaning other than expressing reverence.

Garnet was not alone in his frame of mind, everyone else were taking sneak peeks at the admirable youngster and only those at the higher chain of command, both in the village and the mercenary band, dared to directly look at him.

Garnet sighed as he felt a huge burden lifting up from his shoulder. “Thank you!” He bowed toward the two but it was obvious to whom he spoke. “From the bottom of my heart, as a representative of all those who suffered anther the reign of the Gray Lords, if in the present or future there is anything ... we will diligently serve!”

It was loud and clear in Garnet’s voice, the depth at which the Gray Lords affected Virgil’s Pasture and probably the other villages in the vicinity.

The stars above were in the midst of capturing Zax’s attention.

“Fine”. He indifferently said. Not for being apathetic, but because he could understand where Garnet was coming from, and since he will soon leave Virgil’s Pasture with no plans to return, he might as well say what the other wants to hear and accept graciousness.

The banquet did not renew. There were bodies that had to be buried, return to the earth, and prisoners to interrogate and supervise.

The village’s elders also had no time to oversee a celebration when who knows how the surrounding villages plan to proceed after the annihilation of the Gray Lords they supposedly informed for. At the very least their hearts were clear from one doubt; news of Virgil’s Pasture’s triumph already reached the surrounding villages.

...

Zax watched the night sky from the rooftop of the fifth cottage. ‘Superficially the sky looks the same as the illusion of the Nightly Cover formation’. He stared in fascination as there was deepness beyond the facade of the Nightly Cover formation.

Like that he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

...

Two days later.

At the outskirt of the village

“Mendor, hero Zax, our village looks forward to see you again”. Leonard saw the two off.

In addition to Mendor mercenary band and Zax, a small group of village warriors were also ready to head out toward Glorious Ground.

Currently, the village warriors were being instructed by Garnet. Behind them was wagon strapped to a Seliverian Cow, the cattle Deformed Being.

To say the truth, Zax was a little taken aback by the simplicity sight of a wagon as the best means of transportation the village had. He wondered if Ercas Mir lags behind Kingdom Earth in technology, or perhaps, Virgil’s Pasture was just unable to afford mechanical vehicles.

Regardless...

On the wagon were the detained bandits. The plan was to hand them over to the authorities in Glorious Ground and share the bounty some of them had with Mendor and Zax.

“Thank you for the hospitality, head”. Zax said.

He really enjoyed his stay in the village and was not bothered by the Gray Lords incident.

He carried on his back a bag with a strap that stretched diagonally across his torso. He got it in the village; inside he had his New Earth clothes, some food to last until he will arrive to Glorious Ground and of course, the Pure Core.

The dictionary Zax returned to Garnet after finishing reading it, though he still had to practice for a while in order to become fluent in Netherling.

“We will go now, Leonard”. Mendor, as usual, was aloof.

...

“It will take us approximately eight hours to arrive to Glorious Ground”. Mendor informed.

He, Zax and Danus, his second in command, were following at the center of the cluster of men.

“Zax, I haven’t said from where you are, but you should know that in Selivereb even a second level Core Master can be duped if he doesn’t join a reliable group, especially in cities!” Danus warned Zax.

“Indeed you should be aware, Zax”, Mendor concurred. “There is an unshakeable hierarchy in Selivereb that you best not forget”.

“Don’t tell me, at the top of the food chain are the Blessed Army and the Violet Scaled Troops”. Zax smiled.

He was not worried about encountering troublesome folks. He had the confidence that his true strength could only be confined by Martial Mortals. Even if Ercas Mir possesses a greater number of experts, what are the chances that he will meet a Martial Mortal at every turn?

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.