Karla
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2015 by White Zulu

The small exhibition was a great success. Right in the centre of the circular cluster of six houses the company had erected a large open tent, tables and chairs arranged around a bar and buffet. It had not rained for a few days, the grounds were dry, the many people able to go in and out of the houses without mucking up things overmuch.

Upon arrival we were met by Helmut who was very pleased to see us and promised to show us around.

"But let us have a drink first. Perhaps a bite too and let me tell you something about the houses here. They all have some special features which set them apart from our standard plans. Photo voltaics for all of them, some even have solar heating added for cost-free year-round warming of bathrooms or hobby rooms. You will not be disappointed."

Karla however was much surprised to see us. Obviously Helmut had not told her of our interest in his houses and seemed stunned to learn that we in fact knew each other quite well. She introduced Elvira and Charlotte to us, lovely girls both, who were rather unhappy over having to attend this kind of adult entertainment, but covered it well with polite but reserved greetings.

Duty first. We inspected all houses and saw a lot of things which would work for us, even if their modernistic style held not much appeal. It is very strange indeed how today's houses are formed around their so-called entertainment areas. Furniture is shaped and grouped to allow unhindered viewing of huge TV-screens, but this arrangement is quite unsuitable for relaxed interaction between members of a larger household. Minimalist kitchens with bar stools and counter instead of a decent table and chairs. Huge main bedroom as if designed for hot swinger orgies of twenty or more people, tiny rooms for not more than 1.8 children. And of course it is downright stupid to design houses with flat roofs in areas with heavy snowfall...

Helmut was much amused by our comments. He agreed, however, that television programmes seemed to be universally silly and mind-deadening, yet people were hooked on the drivel they spouted.

"This is the advantage of our building to a common grid. It is easy to enlarge the house, shift walls to allow for a larger kitchen, change layout and size of the bedrooms, add larger windows to the family room and such. You are right about the flat roofs as well. It is stupid, and waterproofing is a costly nightmare, yet many people insist on them. But come, you have seen enough, I think. We shall discuss your specific requirements at my office, together with one of our senior architects. He shares many of your convictions and will be able to accommodate all your wishes. Even your library will not pose a problem, nor the addition of a traditional roof. Now, let's have some drinks, meet the family and other people."

After some very nice snacks and decent wine he excused himself to attend to other visitors. I was left with Karla again, somewhat removed from the crowds, since Elise went off to try and talk to the girls.

"Karla, you do look much better. No further problems, I hope?"

"Berthold, the change in my husband is unbelievable. He has not as much as touched me, did not try and have sex at all. He hardly talks to either of us, but is polite in a very remote way. Yet I am aware of some strange emotions going through him. Regrets? Hate? Contempt? This is a man I do not know at all.

"Elvira is more jittery around him than ever before. Charlotte is bewildered and doesn't know how to handle the altered situation. – I was much surprised to find you here, and with your wife too."

"We have spoken to Helmut about having a house built. This opportunity is ideal to find out whether the company builds as well as he claimed. It appears he did not exaggerate. Today I got to know him a little better, too. We will see him again soon. I should like to get to know your daughters, but Elise seems to have claimed them for now.

"How are you bearing up? Was my treatment successful?"

She blushed before answering that all was well, really. The bio-feedback I got from her told me different. She was having flashbacks to the procedures – and not all of them entirely aboveboard. Alfred's warnings were appropriate indeed. When I mentioned that we would have to talk some more, after I got to know her daughters better, she immediately asked whether I wanted to treat them as well. Her eyes suddenly turned dark once again. Experiencing a strong rush of empathy for Helmut, I suppressed my anger just enough to tell her.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.