Frigate Cove - Cover

Frigate Cove

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 14: All's Well in Frigate Cove

Cam's effort to have his book to the printers before November proved successful. He worked tirelessly toward that goal, but never at the expense of his new family. His parents moved out from Toronto in August, taking possession of their new home on September 1st. Margaret had already directed the necessary redecorations and was happily arranging furnishings and assorted bric-a-brac as she unpacked it. Donald had discovered the Cowichan Valley Golf and Country Club was suited to his game and was a regular for several weeks before taking out a membership.

"I've booked the reservations for our flights and accommodations in Maui, Cam," Glynnis announced one evening in late September.

"Good. I'm done with the revisions, and Marjean says it will go to the printers in mid-October. We can time the launch on our own terms this year. I can't see anything getting in the way of our plan."

They had examined a number of possibilities before settling on a very nice, new resort in the Napili Bay area. They planned to spend a couple of days in Honolulu before they returned home, but most of their time would be spent exploring Maui. Jamie had all the brochures and was pouring over them constantly, marking off places he wanted to see. He was fascinated by the whales that were commonly seen off the island, and that was his first objective. In early September they applied for passports for Jamie and Glynnis.

Cam had purchased a new camera, a digital SLR with an optional long lens. Glynnis had stepped up her visits to the exercise room at the community centre to prepare herself for a new bikini. She hadn't worn one since she was a teenager and wanted to look her best for her husband and herself. At first they worried that there would be enough things to interest Jamie, but that concern was put to rest when the boy went over the long list of things he wanted to do while on vacation. They had fallen into a familiar routine now that Jamie was back in school and it seemed almost effortless as they moved through the days. It was as if they had been married for years. Cam spent some time each day helping Jamie with his schoolwork, particularly reading, spelling and arithmetic. Glynnis smiled and shook her head at the connection that the two had formed so easily. There was no doubt that Jamie was his son, even though the paperwork was not yet complete.

Jamie's biological father, Terry Monshein, had been difficult to find and even more difficult to convince to sign over his parental rights. He knew who Cameron Stuart was, and like Andrea, he saw an opportunity for nice payday. Aaron put a stop to that very quickly with the threat that he would sue for back payment of child support for all the years that Monshein had neglected providing for his son. The signature was forthcoming and the adoption papers filed. Both Cam and Glynnis were hoping that the process would be formalized before Cam left on his promotional tour.

The negotiations with Gerard Faschinau and Andrea had reached a stalemate, with neither side willing to budge. Aaron noted that her lawyer had filed intent to seek a judicial ruling, asking for a date on the docket, but that wasn't a costly procedure. Aaron immediately filed a notice of intent to defend the action. Now, it had regressed to being a waiting game. Theoretically it could end as late as the day the trial had been set to begin, but Aaron knew it wouldn't be that far in the future. Cam had nothing to lose by waiting. In fact, the problem had drifted to the back of his mind. He was far too happy about his life at present to worry about Andrea Delahey.


"I'm going to miss you, darling," Cam said, holding Glynnis tightly in his arms. "But the rewards will be even greater this time when I return."

"So you say, Mister Stuart," she snipped. "Here am I sitting in my home, waiting for my husband to finish his gallivanting about in America. You'll probably have forgotten all about me by the time you return."

"I think you're exaggerating, my dear. It won't be that long before we are sunning on the beach in Napili Bay. Besides, how can I not be anxious to be with a woman that I love and cherish more than anything in this world? There's only one thing missing."

"Well, with luck, you may have already made it happen. I wondered if you were ever going to do the deed, but I have a hunch you have."

"I never had a doubt," he grinned. "If it's so, I suspect it was that night that you virtually attacked me and made me your sex slave. I won't forget that for a long time to come. Perhaps you'd like to give me an encore, Ms. Wildcat."

"Perhaps I will ... when you return. Who's your tour guide this time? Not Ms. Niven, I hope."

"Now Glynn, you know perfectly well Marjean would never provide someone who was a threat to you. Besides, Lauren is engaged now. It seems that her tour with me earlier this year was the spark that gave her boyfriend the impetus to propose. So ... she's off the market."

"I know. I'm not really jealous, you know. I know you so well now ... I have no doubts about you. But this trip is even longer than the last."

"Yes, American Thanksgiving is a major event and even more important for our sales than Christmas. But when I get home, you, me, and Jamie will find ourselves on the beach in Hawaii, sunning and enjoying the tropical breezes."

"So, now that you've got number four and five sketched out, where will you take us next year?"

"Good question. Why don't you see if you can find a place that you'd like to go that will allow us to take Jamie and possibly our newborn. After all, we can't leave them behind to miss all the fun."

"Will you want to know if it's a boy or a girl?"

"You've asked me that more than once," he said, holding her closely. "The answer is still no. I don't want to know. I'm hoping for a girl, but that's just a hope. I won't be disappointed no matter which ... boy or girl."

"Good answer, lover. Boy, can I even pick 'em for a husband," she grinned.

"I think I did just as well choosing you for a wife," he replied with a smile.

Both heard the page to board the aircraft.


"Don't get too comfortable tonight, Cam," Marjean warned him. "Good Morning America want you on their show tomorrow early."

"Me? They want me? Uh ... what do I have to do?"

"You have to get up very early, that's what," she laughed. "Oh, and by the way, one of their production assistants will be at the hotel to pick you up and take you to the studio."

"When?"

"Six o'clock. Don't be shocked, Cam. You're on later in the show, so it could be worse."

"Do you realize I'll have to get up at five in the morning? That's two o'clock in the morning in B.C."

"It's the price of fame, Cam," she laughed. "The publicity you gain will send your book sales into orbit. Trust me."

"I do, Marjean. I really do. But ... six o'clock? I won't be responsible for how I look or what I say at that time of the day."

"You've been spoiled getting to sleep in each morning."

"Yes, I suppose so. I just hope I don't embarrass myself tomorrow."

"You'll be fine, Cam. Just be yourself. You have an engaging personality and you don't come across as some stuffy academic. That, and the fact that you're a pretty good looking guy won't hurt either."

"We'll see," he grimaced.


"Where in the world is Frigate Cove?" Robin Roberts asked Cam shortly after he had been introduced and she had outlined the theme of his books.

"It is on the east coast of Vancouver Island, about an hour north of Victoria, Capital of B.C."

"I know you were born and brought up in Toronto, what prompted you to move there?"

"Almost as soon as I discovered it, I fell in love with it. It's quiet, secluded, lightly populated ... all the things I wanted and needed to foster my writing."

"We're showing a picture you took from your front porch. It looks beautiful. I understand you married recently."

"Yes ... like my new home, I met and fell in love with a beautiful woman and her son. I had no idea what happiness was until they came into my life. I'm sure they're watching this, so hello Glynn and Jamie. I love you," he smiled.

"You start your book tour tomorrow here in New York. Will you be home for Christmas?"

"Yes and no," he grinned. "I'll be finished the tour two weeks before Christmas, home for a few days, then the three of us will be on a plane to Hawaii for Christmas. We plan to laze around for a couple of weeks. After the New Year, I'll be working on book four of Gascoigne's adventures. The plan for now is one each year, but that also depends on how well they sell."

"It doesn't sound like sales are a problem from what I'm told," Robin assured him. "I also understand there's some interest from TV and Hollywood."

"There have been feelers, but at this stage, nothing is on paper. It would be an expensive concept because of the sets and locations. I'm not holding my breath."

"Well, congratulations on your success and your latest book, Gascoigne's Penitence," she said, holding up the book for the camera.

"Thank you," Cam said with a smile and a nod to the audience applause.


"You were great, Cam," Marjean enthused. "Just exactly what I was hoping for. You really look good on TV, too. It's going to do wonders for your sales, and if the public likes this book, the ones who are just discovering you are going to want to read the others as well. Congratulations."

"Thanks, Marjean. I was nervous as hell to begin with, but Robin was good at putting me at ease. I guess that's why they pay her the big bucks."

"Francis Conners will be meeting you for lunch at the hotel. He'll be your minder this tour."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.