Frigate Cove - Cover

Frigate Cove

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 8: The First Blush of Success

"Congratulations, Cam. We've got a hit on our hands. That promotional tour has paid off handsomely."

"Thank you, Marjean. I have to admit, it was more tiring than I expected, but the reception by the public and the sales so far are very rewarding. I've just about finished the first draft of my next novel, so I'll be sending that along in a few days."

"Well, launching a book at Thanksgiving is always a good time. You're catching the Christmas crowd and with all the great reviews, it's being prominently displayed in the book stores. I hope you feel it's been worth all the work."

"Marjean, none of this would have happened without your help and direction. I don't know how to thank you."

"Just keep them coming, Cam," Marjean laughed. "You've got a knack for making history sound exciting and the public seems to agree with me. Now, you'd better get on your way. Your plane leaves LaGuardia in three hours and traffic will be horrific in this weather. I've called a cab and it's waiting for you now. It's on the company tab, so don't worry about anything but getting to the airport."

"Thank you again, Marjean," Cam smiled, giving the woman a warm hug. "Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. I'll call you as soon as my new manuscript is ready to send."

"Get going, Cam," she laughed. "I'll be here waiting for it."

Cam smiled as the cab splashed its way through the slush and sleet toward the airport. He really didn't worry about being on time. In this kind of weather, very few flights were on time. Between weather delays and de-icing, he was reasonably confident he wouldn't be late.

Two hours later, he looked up at the monitor in the business class lounge and saw that his flight was now scheduled for 8:15 that evening, two hours later than scheduled. However, traffic was moving, so he expected to be back in Toronto before midnight. It gave him time to savour the thrill of success. He would be financially secure for a while and perhaps it was time to look at making this a career rather than a hobby. Did he have that much confidence? Marjean seemed to think he could do it.

He would discuss it with Larry Robertson next Monday. Larry had been very accommodating with his new schedule, particularly during the book tour. Cam had been filing some copy, but generally Larry was moving work in other directions. His boss had been supportive of his writing efforts and did what was necessary for Cam to get this first book into the stores. But Cam knew he couldn't trade on his good nature much longer. Either he worked for Hunter Publishing, or he resigned and became a full time author. That was going to take some courage.


"Look, Cam, I don't want to lose you just yet. What if this book is a one-hit-wonder? That happens to lots of authors. Why don't you work part time until you see how the second book works out? That way, if it doesn't, you still have a place here. You're really good at what you do here, so even freelance would help me ... and you as well."

"That's very generous of you, Larry. I just don't want to take advantage of you. I owe you and Hunter a fair effort. Let's try the freelance thing and see how it goes. You've got to be honest with me though. If it doesn't work, you've got to say so. I don't want you jeopardizing your job over our friendship."

"Don't worry, Cam. I've got a wife, two kids, and a mortgage that will stop me from doing anything silly. But I know you well enough that if it doesn't work, you'll know it before I do. So, let's go with the freelance proposal and see what happens. Agreed?"

"Agreed. Now, let me buy you lunch and I can catch up on your family and the office gossip."

"Done," he grinned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.