Frigate Cove
Chapter 6: A Moment of Danger

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

The summer proved to be warm and sunny and, as each day passed, Glynnis thanked her lucky stars that her car had died here in Frigate Cove and that she had knocked on Cam Stuart's door for help. She felt alive and happy again for the first time in years. She was rid of Brad forever and safe here. She had a wonderful house to live in, and had difficulty bringing herself to think of Cam as her landlord.

Jamie had found some nearby friends to play with, and often disappeared for hours on end as they explored the rocky shores of the cove. They played pirates, he told her, and spent a lot of their time looking for buried treasure. Cam assured her that he was safe and while she was at work, he and the neighbours would look out for him and his buddies. The only rule he made sure Jamie obeyed was crossing the road.

For Cam, it was a productive summer. While his magazine responsibilities were dwindling, the new novel was coming along very well. Actually, it was novel number four, but the second in the "Gascoigne" series. Interestingly, Glynnis had contributed some ideas about where the plot might go, and added some touches to the personality of some of the characters, including Lt. Louis Gascoigne and the Master, Ben Drummond. She didn't do it with suggestions, but merely asked questions that opened up possibilities for Cam. If it was a conscious effort on her part, it was so subtle that he wasn't sure it was intentional. No matter, it was welcomed.

He had to defer working on the outline of the third Gascoigne novel when the new edits for the second novel were returned to him. That was going to take almost the rest of the summer to get the work into its final shape. Marjean Atkins was delighted with his effort so far, assuring him it would be another best seller. That encouraged Cam to dedicate his time to the editing suggestions. With Glynnis looking after his meals and housekeeping duties, he was free to concentrate on finishing up the novel.

He made time for meals with Glynnis and Jamie. He owed them that much and, in truth, he enjoyed their company and hearing about their day. It felt like a real family now, with all three of them a part of it. Glynnis was pleased with her job at Albright's Hardware, offering to upgrade their simplified computer system to be more helpful and efficient.

Cam had stopped in to have a new key for the house cut as a spare, now that Glynnis carried one on her keychain. Howard Albright was pleased to see him.

"How's the town's most famous author doing these days, Cam?"

"Howie, I'm the town's only author," he chuckled at the predictable greeting.

"Say, you sure did me a favour when you sent that young lady down here for a job interview. She's a breath of fresh air compared to Mrs. Trimble. I get an instant inventory update now if I want one. She's doing the ordering now, too. I'm going to have to find a way to keep her if Mrs. Trimble wants to come back. Hell, the old girl won't like all the changes Ms. Urquhart has made," he laughed. "She doesn't trust computers."

"I'm very glad to hear you're happy with Glynnis, Howie. She's a fine lady and she tells me she enjoys working for you."

"Well, seein's as you're both single, maybe you should make it permanent," he grinned.

"Oh, I think I'm too old for her, you know. Anyway, it's good to know she's doing well and helping you out. Talk to you soon," Cam said as he turned to leave.

As he looked up, he saw Glynnis standing a few feet away, watching him. He smiled and waved as he headed out of the store, not thinking about her overhearing his conversation.

But she did overhear some of it. She was pleased that Howard liked the changes she was making; not that he hadn't told her so already. But Cam's remark about being too old startled her. She had no idea he thought that. She certainly didn't think he was too old. He didn't look his age and he was fit and handsome as well. She wanted to knock that idea out of him, but wasn't quite sure how to go about it. The more she was around him, the more she realized she had feelings for the man. He was everything that Brad was not ... or any other man she had been with. No, she had to help Cam rid himself of that idea that he was too old.


Near the end of August, Glynnis had collected the list of things that Jamie would need for first grade. She'd been out shopping on a Saturday morning and returned to the house with two bags of school supplies and some additional clothes. Jamie was still growing and the best indicator was the distance from the bottom of his pants to the top of his shoes. It appeared that space had grown even more this summer. Thank goodness she had a job and could afford to keep up with his needs.

She'd felt a pain in her abdomen since mid-morning and wondered if she had pulled a muscle, although she couldn't recall doing anything that would have caused it. It seemed to be getting worse and feeling her forehead, she realized she might be running a fever.

"I don't think I'll have any lunch today, Cam. I'm not feeling very well," she announced.

"What's wrong, Glynnis. Are you feeling nauseous?"

"A bit, but I have this pain in my abdomen and my head feels hot to the touch. I must be coming down with something."

"Can I make some ice tea for you?" he offered.

"Yes ... that would be very nice, thank you."

"Why don't you lie down for a while and see how you feel a little later on," he suggested.

"I think I will."

He handed her the glass of tea and she moved toward her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Cam watched as she moved rather stiffly. He was worried. This wasn't the symptoms of any flu that he remembered. He made a note to check on her in a couple of hours and see how she was then.

Glynnis slipped off her shoes and lay on the bed, loosening her jeans to take the pressure off the pain area. She lay back, hoping this would go away soon. She felt drowsy, but the pain was keeping her awake for the present. She put her head back on the pillow and willed herself to relax and ignore the pain.

It was just before three that afternoon when Cam checked on Glynnis. He looked in on her and found her moaning in her sleep and when he touched her forehead, she was burning up. He realized right away that she was in trouble and he needed to do something quickly. Jamie was out with his friends and Cam decided to leave a note for him. He quickly wrote a note and tacked it to the back door where Jamie usually came into the house. He could leave it unlocked without worrying about a break in.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.