Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story - Cover

Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 12

Dad came up to Heather and said, "Heather, you have been here a few months. I've tried to dissuade you without success. There definitely is an 'us.' You have won a unique place in my heart and my life. I love you and want you to be my wife." He pulled a ring case from his pocket and started to open it.

Heather moved fast to cover the six feet between them. "Yes, Dan! Yes!" She was in his arms. Between kisses, she was saying, "I love you. Oh! I love you so much!"

Pat came to me and we held each other as we looked on.

It took a fairly long time for lunch to get back on track. Even then, Heather kept looking at the diamond ring on her finger and wandering over to sit in Dad's lap and kiss him for a while. Pat and I were the ones who really finished preparing lunch.

We ate the meal and Pat and I cleaned up while Heather sat in Dad's lap. They kissed and cuddled the whole time. When we finished, Pat said, "Should I go ask Linda and Tom to come over and witness your nuptials, also?"

They nodded at Pat though not really focusing on what she had said. We walked over to Linda and Tom's house, told them what was about to happen, and returned with them. They were excited for Heather and Dad, too.

As soon as we returned, the ceremony took place in the living room with Heather and Dad reading the same vows that Pat and I had exchanged. They kissed and not one of the six of us had a dry eye. It was easy to see the love, friendship, and respect each has for the other.

We had an impromptu reception for them serving from the kitchen and toasting the new couple from some white wine we had liberated some months ago along with many other bottles. It was a grand time filled with quiet joy.

I was happy for both of them but particularly for Dad. He needed someone beside him.

Heather and Dad skipped supper to move her belongings into the bedroom with Dad's. Pat and I cooked supper for two and were heading to bed early ourselves. We could hear sounds coming from the bedroom. Pat grinned when she said, "I think Dad's good in the sack, too. Take me to bed, Mark." We had just finished washing and drying the dishes. We went to our bedroom and made love. We made our own joyful noises.

The next morning, four very happy people rose and prepared breakfast. We ate it on the porch before deciding upon the day's chores. Heather sat in Dad's lap the whole time including feeding him bites from their plates. She did let him hold his coffee cup once in a while. Dad looked a little embarrassed but not enough to apologize or have her get out of his lap!

I finally said, "Why don't you two newlyweds take it back to your room and try to wear each other out. There is nothing that needs to be done today but, if we need your help, we will knock." They looked at each laughed happily and left. Dad even left his coffee! It must be love! I smiled and looked at Pat. "My love, I guess we need to decide what we need to do today. I don't think either of them will be of any use."

She was grinning as she nodded in agreement. "We weren't much better, Mark. There are a few things to accomplish today. I do want to look at the fence up the hill." She pointed. "I think deer have been getting in there. If we don't stop them now, they will eat all the new shoots and then we won't eat. We have enough deer in the freezers already."

That's what we did carrying our rifles and pistols. We rode two of our horses. More and more, we were trying to stick to horses and walking for movement. When we did need a powered vehicle, we tried to use a diesel. Other than my monster, we had a smaller SUV and a little VW that were both diesel powered. We still were very much aware that fuel wouldn't last forever. One station in Ellijay was already out of gas and very low on diesel.

We rode the fence line and found two places where deer had forced an opening. We worked together to close off the access. It was mid-afternoon when we returned to the house.

We walked in to see Heather walking from the kitchen to the bedroom wearing one of Dad's shirts and nothing else. We knew because she had a bare bottom. Pat said, "Nice show, Missus Dillard."

She turned quickly exposing more. "Oops. We're up and moving though I guess I should wear a little more." She smiled.

I smiled and said, "I don't mind and I'm sure Dad likes you that way."

She scurried back into the bedroom giggling as she held the shirt over her backside.

Pat said, "All true but unnecessary to have been said."

"Yes, dear." I ducked!

We started supper and were joined by Dad and Heather who was still wearing Dad's shirt but also had a pair of shorts under it that showed less skin. They were both grinning lazily. I decided to let Pat talk and I applied myself to my preparations. We would have deer steaks that had been marinating all afternoon. Pat was preparing potatoes and greens to complete our dinner. I went outside to grill the steaks and Dad followed me.

Once outside, he said, "Is everything okay, Son?"

"Dad, everything is fine. Pat and I are very happy for you and Heather. I'm particularly glad that you have found a fine helpmate and that the two of you are in love. I love you both. So does Pat."

"You aren't concerned about your mother's place?"

"Dad, Mom died over a year ago. You have mourned enough and have won the heart of a truly wonderful and beautiful woman. I'm proud of you and happy for you. I know the joy of a good wife. You are blessed to have had one and now have a second."

"I'm relieved. I worried a bit because of that situation."

"Dad, I will probably never call her mother but I am happy to know she is your wife and you make each other happy."

Dad then said, "When are you and Pat going to start a family?"

"Hello, curve ball. We're thinking of starting to try this summer. It's been fun practicing thus far." I grinned.

He grinned back. I decided to get a little back. "Dad, when are you and Heather going to have children?"

He looked a little sad. "We aren't. I had a vasectomy years ago and Heather probably can't get pregnant anyway based upon information from her doctor visits before the Day."

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"Don't be. There would have been issues, perhaps. We are happy and that's what is important." We went inside to the ladies who were finishing the other preparations and sitting at the table talking. Dad said, "The steaks are grilling nicely. Have you accomplished anything so we have something to go with it?"

He was roundly booed. I kept my mouth shut. When two women get along, their husbands not only don't constitute an equal vote, they don't even represent a sizable minority! I went back out and turned the steaks. I went back inside to be greeted by my wife with a kiss and a glass of red wine. The wine was good and the kiss was better. After another good sip later, I retrieved the steaks and brought the platter inside. The table was set and we had a salad of Pat's strange, mixed greens with mashed potatoes that Heather had doctored. It was a great meal and a happy time. Less than a week later, it was our pleasure to proudly confirm Heather and Dad as a married couple at the EHG meeting.

Linda was close to delivery. Everyone was concerned but her pregnancy had been a good one with no issues. She and Tom were as ready as possible. Heather was prepared to go and help with Pat. Dad or I would go after Miss Mable. Those who were long-timers in the area knew her as an experienced mid-wife.

Miss Mable was at least in her sixties and never married. She had a great sense of humor and was spry. She also carried a twelve gauge shotgun and rumor had it that she could hit what she aimed to hit. All in all, she struck me as a very competent woman. Thankfully, she seemed to dote on Pat and liked me. I had no intention of getting on her wrong side.

We went home and, of course, had two vacant bedrooms again. We kidded about that. I enjoyed the extra room of the other rooms in the house that were bigger and therefore more useful than our prior house. We hadn't found anyone to add to our small group in the valley.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.