Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story - Cover

Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

After that, the meeting came to an end and everyone departed.

Dad came up to them and introduced himself to them. He said, "Where is your car?"

Angie said, "We had to abandon it when we ran. We found another but it ran out of gas and we have no way to get more gas."

Jack said, "I'm not much at this survival stuff. Before the Day, I sold software. Angie was a stay at home wife. Heather married late and was an R. N."

Linda and Tom had joined us. Linda said, "Heather, that is great. Tom and I have been worried about the lack of any medical help."

Heather said, "I will do what I can though I'm not a doctor, just a nurse."

We had come into town this morning in my new ride. Previously, I had liberated a diesel Ford SUV. It was a monster but used diesel which was lasting better than gasoline. With its four-wheel drive, it could go anywhere and carry a big load. It wasn't subtle but it worked. Linda and Tom had driven in their Chevy Tahoe. Linda said, "I guess you can haul them. We're going to get some gas and head home." The three of us nodded.

Dad said, "Come on with us. Other than what's on your backs, what do you have?"

Heather said, "Nothing." She had a fanny pack as did her sister. "We are short on changes of clothes. We had to leave in a hurry. The scouts had discovered us and were bringing back others. We hid out for a few days before we found another car. It wasn't much but got us here before we ran out of gas."

Pat and I looked at each other. I could see her silent shrug. I looked over at Dad and he had a quiet smile. I looked where he was looking and realized he was looking at Heather! I must admit that I didn't blame him.

Though she hadn't had a bath or change of clothes in maybe a week by my guess, Heather Mason is a very attractive woman with long, black hair so dark it was almost blue-black. I guessed middle to late thirties. She was tall like Pat with a trim figure. Of the three, she seemed to be in the best shape. Jack struck me as pudgy and Angie could afford to lose a few pounds, too. Working outside had leaned us and we weren't used to seeing others with much excess meat on their bones.

Pat said, "Let's get you to Walmart to pick up some clothes before we head to the valley and warm showers." All three of them brightened at that. I brought my big SUV and everyone piled inside. Pat got up front with me to Jack's disappointment. By the time he moved, Dad was in the second seat with Heather. He had to squeeze past to sit with Angie in back. I decided that I didn't care what he liked. My wife rode beside me when I drove. After pulling the shifter into drive, Pat took my hand and held it until we reached Walmart.

I stopped the SUV and said, "Ladies, get out." Pat had her rifle. Dad moved into the passenger's seat. "Jack, stay with us. We're going to check on your vehicle and probably move it out of the way. Your wife can pick out clothes for you."

He started to grump but subsided when I pulled away. We found his car blocking the gas pumps. Dad and I got out and opened the back. We attached a chain to it. Dad guided it as I pulled it away and to the back of a little strip center. We left it there after retrieving the chain. Jack had gotten in the passenger seat. I said, "Jack, how good a shot are you?"

He stammered, "I don't shoot. I never have."

"Then you sit in back. That is the shooter's seat."

He grumbled but got in back. "Your wife was up there before."

"Yes, she was. She is a great shot as is Dad. That's why you moved back." I paused a moment and added, "By the way, don't gripe at me. We're granting you a place to clean up, eat, and sleep. It's our place and our choice. Your choice is to accept graciously or find your own place. Understand?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry. It's just that things are different and the government has been so slow to get things back under control."

Dad said, "Jack, I have a news flash for you. The government is gone, forever. Pat and Mark are the government here and have the support of our neighbors. You need to get your head out of your ass real fast."

It was quiet in the truck back to Walmart. Once there, we stopped and got out. Pat was at the door with her rifle handy. Jack went inside. Dad followed him though I don't think he was looking to follow him or find Angie. Pat stopped me. "Mark, where are we going to put them?"

"I first thought of our house but I'm more inclined to put them in the two-bedroom. I'm not sure I want to live in the same house as Jack."

She grinned. "You figured it out. Angie's not much better. Heather, on the other hand, is great. She's pretty and has already figured out the lay of the land. Besides, Dad is attracted to her." She grinned again. I grinned back.

I thought for an instant. "Perhaps we could have her stay in our house and put Jack and

Angie in the other house so they will have privacy."

"You know we will have to feed them for some period of time, don't you, Mark?"

"Yeah but they can bring a list when they walk over for lunch. Make sure both Angie and Heather have some warm clothes, boots, and some kind of overcoat. I will see to Jack." She grinned at me fiendishly. I went to instruct Jack.

He, of course, wanted to know why. I told him that we walk to places that are close. The house where he and Angie would be staying wouldn't have food until they made a list and brought it with them when they walked over for lunch. I could tell he wasn't happy about that revelation but he picked out, with my help, some usable boots, jeans, and a coat that was warmer than what he had. We gathered back at the door, loaded the packages and people, and left. I took a slightly roundabout way to our valley that would make it difficult for someone not able to mentally track directions hard to find. Jack and Angie kept up a litany of the problems with life and how the government was doing nothing to help people. Dad made Jack help him move the tree away and back. Jack was both cold and sweaty when he climbed back inside the truck. It made him quiet, too. I drove to our original house and pointed Jack and Angie inside. I pointed to our house and said, "You can clean up and change clothes here. Lunch is in an hour. Walk up and join us with a list of food needs." I pulled away leaving them there with their new clothes in their hands. I knew what they would need because Pat and I had inventoried that house right after the first of January.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.