Kenny Burns - Cover

Kenny Burns

Copyright© 2016 by happyhugo

Chapter 2

Dad finished with the customer and turned toward us. "And who is this young lady?"

"Dad, this is Francie Reilly. Right now we are exploring a relationship. You'll hear all about it at dinner tonight."

"What's to hear about?"

"How, when, and where we met. While away on vacation I tracked her down after six years. I've become acquainted with her family and now she is here to become acquainted with mine. I'm hoping before too long you and Mom will take some time and travel to meet her folks."

"Sounds serious."

"It is. We'll explain tonight why we think it will work."

"Good, that will get your mother and sister off my back."

"How's that?"

"They are after me to talk to you about finding someone. Haven't you noticed how they are all the time fixing you up? You just go on not paying any attention."

"Oh, I've been paying attention. Dad, I met Fran six years ago when she was sixteen. She hasn't been out of my mind for any long stretch of time since. I find out she feels the same as me. Our being a couple isn't set in stone yet. That's why she is with me here. We have to find out if we have been living a dream and to see if the reality is as good as the dream. I think we have." Fran's arm came around me and pulled me a little closer.

"Mr. Burns, Kenny has said enough for now. Wait until tonight to hear the rest. It has to be told from when we first met and why I didn't forget him and he didn't forget me."

"Fair enough. Hey, let's head home. I'm the least important person around here. I can leave anytime. Your mother must be ready."

"She is. She's waiting on us."

Fran went right into the kitchen with Mom, (Millie) and I talked with Dad, (Philo) catching up on what had gone on while I was on vacation while visiting Fran and her family. Dad asked, "So you're planning on taking off for one more week?"

"That's right, and you have to remember I haven't always taken a vacation. I now have a reason, so I will be taking all I have coming."

"That's okay. Kenny, are you planning on leaving the business? I don't see how I can replace you."

"No, Dad, I'm not planning on it. A lot will be predicated on Fran finding a work, though."

"What's she trained for?"

"Not pinned down yet exactly, but she's smart and I think she would be a good prospect to take over when Mrs. Billings retires. She studied for a position involving human resources at the university."

"I'll have Pete do an interview. He would be the person working closest with her. What else do you know about her?"

"Not that much. That's why I need these two weeks with her and she needs to meet with you and Mom. Can you get away for three or four days to meet her folks?"

"I guess. Kenny, take all the time you need. We can cover for you and yes we can get away."

"Pete won't like it." There was a little of that rivalry showing in every family. Pete had his chance to get away from the home store twice a month. Dad never listened to me when I mentioned I should have the same consideration.

"Let me worry about Pete. He is always taking time off and I never say anything."

"I don't either. When he goes it is always something that has to do with Betty or Becky. I will want the same consideration when I start a family."

"Fair enough and you will have it." This made me feel really good. I often covered for Pete. Now he might have to do the same for me. I always claimed I was willing to do so, but then I had to rearrange my life sometimes and resented it.

Betty and Becky came at 5:30 and Pete showed up at 6:15 just as the food was put on the table. Mom announced that Fran had made the lasagna. Fran blushed, just commenting that it was traditional right out the package.

"Fran, I didn't know you could cook? I love lasagna."

"I remembered that you did. You took me out to a restaurant six years ago and you commented on liking it. Your Mom had the ingredients so I thought I would make it for you."

"You remembered from that long ago?"

"Kenny, I remembered everything you said and did six years ago."

Becky, my niece asked, "Fran, did you love Kenny then?"

"I must have, although, people would classify it more as puppy love. I don't remember thinking that way. We were only together three weeks, but he impressed me as being the kindest and nicest person I ever knew."

Mom spoke, "How come we didn't meet you back then?"

"Mom, this was when I was at the Clearview store right after I got out of college. I just didn't mention her when I came back here. Besides she was only sixteen and needed her parents."

"Didn't you want him to make love to you?"

Pete screamed, "Becky, that's none of your business."

Fran ignored Pete and answered, "Of course I wanted him to, but during our days together, and what he was saying to me, made me realize he would reject my advances and I didn't want that. I had just been dumped and didn't think I could handle another rejection. Besides what he was saying was making me realize what a child I was. His comments showed me I had been going in the wrong direction in my young life. Very subtle, he reset my life and got me on track. I just hoped he wouldn't forget me."

"Did you anticipate you would be together like you are tonight?"

"Absolutely not. Listen to me. Did you ever do something not knowing that it was something that would be more important than just a gesture? I did that and it turned out to be the most important thing in my life. I'll let Kenny tell you what it was."

Attention was on me. "Actually, it was two things that made me remember Fran. I had been urging her to return home and at the same time to not fall in love with me. I saw her as someone who was young and misguided. I considered myself as an adult and couldn't see where there was any gain in my becoming closer to her. I knew she was totally in my power and if I had wanted to trifle with her I could have. Basically I felt she was trouble, but then I had made a friendly overture, and couldn't just kick her out.

"I've come to the conclusion recently that something or someone else was pointing her in the right direction. Fran had one thing of value that I wasn't aware she had. I had been open with Fran and she knew where I kept my extra money. In her mind and with the urging by me to return to her family one morning, she asked for a kiss and said goodbye. I wasn't aware that she had made up her mind to follow my direction.

"I came home to my apartment that evening and found her gone. The kiss she had asked for really was a goodbye. That was six years ago and I didn't see her again until this last week."

Becky spoke, "Uncle Kenny, what were the two things you mentioned that made you remember her. Did you love her?"

"No, I don't think I loved her at that time. Fran left me a note, that was the first thing, and the second thing was the pair of earrings with it. They went together.

Mom asked, "What was in the note? Do you remember what it said?"

"Of course I remember. In fact I have it here with me. It is pretty frayed for I have taken it out and looked at it often. Would you like to have me read it?"

Fran jumped up. "You kept it all this time? Oh, I love you so much. Kenny, let me read it to your family, please?"

I carefully removed it from my wallet and handed it to her and watched as Fran unfolded and smoothed it out on the table. Tears were pouring from her eyes.

Kenny, I took a hundred dollars from your slush fund for a bus ticket and traveling money. My father paid $1,500 dollars for the earrings for my fourteenth birthday. That proves I'm not a thief. I thank you so much for rescuing me. You told me I fall for bad boys. I am here to say you are not a bad boy, but I fell for you anyway. Give the earrings to the woman you choose to live your life with and with my blessing.

Love, Fran

Fran looked around the table. "I wanted Kenny to love me. Right after he left for work that morning I thought I would meet him at the door that evening wearing just my earrings and nothing else, but I knew deep down it wouldn't work in my favor. I wrote this note, took enough of his money to get me home. I found out that my family acted just like he said they would. That's the minute I began to grow up.

"Always in the back of my mind I was hoping someday Kenny would remember me. Even deeper in my mind I wanted Kenny to return the earrings to me and he would choose me to be the woman he wanted to make his life with. Through a coincidence by both having the same dream, I think it will happen."

Pete, my brother-in-law, said. "I don't believe in coincidences."

I rejected this. "Pete, believe this then. You know I went to university and joined a fraternity. I went to the Homecoming Day a year after Fran left. I went because I found out my frat brother lived in the same city as she. I met him at the frat house and asked if he knew Fran. He said he worked with her brother. During the next five years he played cupid between the two of us. I would ask how Fran was doing and often Tom would send me pictures of the brother and always a picture of Fran would be in it.

"As the years rolled by I knew I would return the earrings someday. The time didn't feel right to me until last Saturday, the day she graduated from college. I found out that day that Tom and Fran were cousins. The two were collaborating on what pictures and information I would receive."

"What about Fran's family when a strange man showed up to connect with their daughter?"

Fran answered this. "I told my mother all about my experiences when I ran away so she knew about Kenny as soon as I returned home. Then a year later when Kenny showed interest, the whole family knew about him. Kenny shared what went on in his life with my cousin, Tom. I'll tell you I had some sleepless nights when Kenny told Tom he moved in with a woman named Sarah. But then I had told Kenny in the note to give my earrings to someone who could make him happy. I did hurt for awhile until his connection with her ended."

Attention came to me again. "I really thought I loved Sarah for a time, but then I read the note from Fran again. I read between the lines. I may have been only a dream of Fran's, but I've had my dreams too."

"Have you asked Fran to marry you?"

"No, Becky, I haven't yet. We wanted to meet both our family's first. That's why I have asked Mom and Dad to go with me this next week to meet Fran's parents."

"This is so romantic, can I go with you?"

"Becky, I'd love to have you with me. I can tell you all about my family. I have a younger brother about your age. His name is Sam, and he's sixteen."

"Thank you Fran. Gram, can I go?"

"I guess so. They'll be room if we take Grampa's big car."


After the dinner I took Fran home with me and showed her the apartment where I lived. Her comment was, "Pretty neat and organized. Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

We spent the next three days getting Fran acquainted with the family and going over what the family business entailed. Monday morning Fran went into the store and interviewed for Mrs. Billings' position as Manager of Human Resources. Mrs. Billings was old enough to retire and very much wanted to, but my dad kept asking her to stay one more year. This year she declared she was leaving before Thanksgiving whether dad had a replacement or not. Fran was the only person who had appeared that could even remotely handle the job.

We talked about it that evening. "Kenny, I would love to have this position and working with you."

I looked at her and could see she was undecided about accepting. "There is a, "but" in there somewhere, I take it?"

"Yes, there is. I was with Mrs. Billings all afternoon. Mrs. Billings hinted at something, but never came out and said anything definitely." Mrs. Billings took me out onto the floor. She told me to watch the interaction between Pete and the female help. First of all Pete does the hiring and most of the female clerks are young and pretty. You must have noticed that?"

"I have, but what has that got to do with this?"

"Mrs. Billings hinted that Pete harasses the girls. I didn't notice when he interviewed me or by the way he looks at me so I didn't say anything to Mrs. Billings, but I did listen to what she said. I can see she doesn't like him much. You know one harassment suit could sink the whole business. I don't want to get into a mess like that."

"This is hard to believe about Pete. Maybe I haven't been paying attention."

"Don't blame yourself. I was just giving you a heads up of what could happen if he was harassing the help. Remember I was taught what to look for. I doubt your father and mother would have noticed either. Any one who harasses would naturally keep it from the family."

"Well, now that I know that it is a possibility, I'll make sure it is settled before you become officially head of that department."

"Kenny, you're the best. I was afraid you would get mad when I said something."

"But you said something anyway?"

"I did. I don't want the business I work for to get into trouble if I can prevent it. I don't want your Mom and Dad to get mad at me either."

"I'm glad you spoke up, but forget the store for now. Believe it or not there is love in the air."

Never one to let something slide, I talked to my mother the next morning. I hinted around just a little by making the comment about Pete's hiring practices. She surprised me. "You mean you want to know if Pete ever harasses the help. That's a dark secret that your father and I have under control. He had to pay off one person years ago. You were too young to be aware."

"Does Betty know about it?"

"Yes, of course, she does. We didn't tell you because at the time you weren't working in the store. Pete knows that if it happens again, then Betty is gone, Pete is gone, and he is without a job. Your dad is on top of this and he settled it years ago. We just won't tolerate it happening again. Why, did you think something like this could be possible?"

"Fran said Mrs. Billings hinted at it, so Fran wasn't surprised. She didn't want to work here if you and Dad knew about it and were ignoring it."

"Good for her. She must love you a lot to bring it up to you."

"She does love me, and I'm sure she will be satisfied with the way it is being handled."


Thursday morning we headed for Fran's parents. Fran would begin training with Mrs. Billings as soon as we returned next week. I had taken an hour to buy a ring because I intended to propose in front of her father and mother sometime before coming home. Did I keep it a secret front of Francie? No, I didn't, and she went with me to pick out the ring. I wanted her to have exactly what would make her happy. Also we hated to be apart for even that length of time, even for a few hours.

Becky, Fran and I, sat in the back seat of the car with Fran in the middle. Becky began questioning her about her brother, Sam. Now we knew why Becky asked to come.

"Becky, I've been away at school for four years so I don't know that much about him. I do know he is a bit shy or wants people to think he is. When I have been home for the holidays and we have a party or family gathering, he usually has a friend visiting. I must say, not all of them are boys. I noticed they all respect him, both girls and boys. I'm proud to say I'm glad I have him for a brother."

We arrived before noon and Phoebe had lunch waiting for us. Becky was disappointed that Sam wasn't there. He was off playing soccer with his buddies according to Rachel. "How far from here is it?"

"Go down the street and take a left. You'll see them playing as soon as you turn the corner. They'll be a lot of kids hanging out together. Tell him we'll be eating in forty-five minutes. How will you know him?"

Becky grinned, "I'll ask. Not many boys have a strange girl they don't know looking for them. Someone will tell me." I could just imagine that Sam's status would rise up damned high with his friends. Some of the girls, if there any there, might give Sam a second look if Becky did what she said she was going to do. Becky was as tall as Sam and she had on designer jeans and a tee-shirt and looked hot. Kids were so bold in today's world.

Mom was a little short giving Becky a warning. "Becky, you be good and behave like a young lady."

"I will Gram, I promise." Mom was shaking her head as we watched Becky hurrying down the street.

We now proceeded to get acquainted. Timothy, Tom, and Steve were working. I knew where the office was so I said I was going down there. Dad said he would go with me. Timothy welcomed me with open arms and glad I could make the trip. After introductions, he had us into his private office and set out a bottle. "Philo, how about a little nip? This is good stuff. A customer of mine sends me a bottle at Christmas time."

Dad looked at the bottle and commented that it was distilled in Ireland.

"Yeah, people aren't too positive I'm Irish, but I am. My Great-Grandpap dropped the "O" in O'Reilly, but we still go back to the Old Sod every five years or so. My grandmother is still alive. She'll be a hundred and one this November. I want Fran to see her one more time before she passes on."

I spoke up, "Fran was telling me about her. We have a tentative plan of having a honeymoon in the fall and will see her then."

"Good. Oh, you are planning a honeymoon in the fall?"

"Yes. I've taken these two weeks away from my work just to meet Fran. I do have responsibilities. Fran understands. She has a job offer and wants to begin as soon as possible. That enters into it."

"Then this bringing your dad here is almost making it official that you will wed?"

"There is no 'almost' about it. I'll be proposing at dinner tonight."

"That's good, son. That will make her mother happy. I hate it that she will be leaving us, but we've been expecting it since you showed up to claim her."

I did propose that evening. Fran was wearing her earrings when she sat down at the table. They were such an important part of our relationship we both felt this was appropriate.

Sam entertained Becky while we were there and they became friends. Mom and Dad enjoyed meeting my prospective in-laws and got on well with them. Timothy tried to sell Dad insurance to cover our business. Dad promised he would look into it when he needed to renew.

All in all, I think my dad and mom were pleased with the woman I had chosen and Fran's folks appeared to feel likewise about me. The question was raised one afternoon while just Mom, Kate, and Fran were talking with Phoebe. Phoebe asked when we planned to marry. It was decided that we would marry the last weekend in August and would take place here in the church that Fran belonged to.

Phoebe said, "Thank you for having the wedding here. You'll have to get me a list of your guests and what they require for rooms while attending. I have to say there was one period in my life when I wished I had all boys. But then Fran came home after she ran away. She was a totally changed person. We never knew why until she came to me and told me about Kenny

"I do believe Fran thought of him as God-like and maybe I do too. My estimation of him hasn't dropped any since meeting him. Now I'm glad I didn't give up on Fran. Oh, I'll admit Tim and I waited for Fran to revert to her old ways, but she never has."

"Mom, you didn't, did you?"

"Franny girl, think about it."

Fran's face went rose hued. "Well, maybe I caused you a bit of anxiety."

"More than a little, sweetheart. We are over that bridge now and you're about to be married to a fine young man. From all indications you will have a wonderful life together."

"I am going to, Mom, I just know it."


Fran went to work immediately in human resources the following week. Mrs. Billings enjoyed having another person in the office. Fran noticed every time my brother-in-law Pete came in the office, that Mrs. Billings cringed. We discussed it.

"Fran, Pete never comes into my office and never has cared much for Mrs. Billings. Maybe he'll like you. You're family."

"I may be family, but I can have my likes and dislikes too. Kenny, I really like my job, it is just what I've been trained for. You know, I think your brother-in-law is a pretty good guy. He is quiet and does just what your father tells him to do. I can see he loves Betty too, but I have seen some constraint between them. Your Dad still loves her though. Did she ever do anything to make him mad at her?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.