The Broken Watch - Cover

The Broken Watch

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 4

"She's Alive."

Those were the first words I spoke when they wheeled her into the room. Oh, yes. I was still there. Broken necks don't heal that quickly.

Besides ... the doctors weren't done with me. The reconstructive facial surgeon was still trying to put my flattened and pulverized bones back together ... and there was this problem I had lower down.

I scraped something important off on my way through the limo divider ... the sack was still there but the tubular portions were all not fucked up. I'd have said fucked up ... but until they were fixed ... I wasn't doing any of that.

So ... my nemesis was back.

The floor nurses ... in their infinite wisdom ... had kept me informed of every emesis, Foley catheter collection bag change, and sponge bath while she was recovering in Neuro-ICU ... just down the hall. We had the same last name ... I just had to be interested ... they said.

So ... for the two weeks Wendy was in Neuro ... my face was being pieced and stitched back together ... a little bit nearly every day. Here a piece, there a piece, EVERYWHERE a piece ... Old McDonald had a surgery ... E-I-E-I-O.

Ow!

Permanent black-eyes ... but I was beginning to look like sorta me.

After looking at my latest undamaged photograph, the Plastics guy said, "While we're at it, we'll try and fix a few of mother natures practical jokes," and then he laughed. The photo was from my high school year book ... and everybody knows how flattering THEY are.


I don't get it.

Get what?

Oops.

Leaking?

Looks like it but that's not what I don't get.

Well?

I ... dunno ... I should dislike you severely.

But you don't?

No. Since they fixed your face ... I like it.

That's a bother.

To you?

Yeah.

Why?

As far as real life goes ... you're 14. But it's 1995, Windows 95 will be out in another month ... and the law says your delectable person is 35.

My person is delectable?

You bet.

"Aren't they cute," said the MED nurse to the HEAD nurse.

The new patient monitors were finally working and the MED was staring at 222A&B.

"Yeah, they stare at each other and never say a word. He's so handsome with his new face ... I don't blame her ... but she's so old ... no matter what she looks like, he's 25 and she's 35."

The MED said, "She adores him."

HEAD said, "I don't know about that. But you're right ... Samaritan Relationship ... typical TV rescue romance. He saves her ... she loves him. He's conflicted ... she's too young or too old. In this one ... she's both. Looks and actual... 14 year old jailbait and 35 year old Aunt ... and she's both. Not that she's his real aunt ... but same last names"

MED said, "It's driving him nuts ... but have you watched when she's asleep?"

"The size of that thing ... I didn't know modern medicine extended to extension ... first time for this state. He looks at her and tents ... the surgeon said he needed to get a handle on the new plumbing ... He does ... It works."

MED agreed, "You know Ann ... the new nurse on Peds?"

"She gets instant appreciation from all the staff."

"Not David, she does nothing for him. Only Wendy."

"She's been in? When?"

"Night shift ... she knows him ... says he makes more money in a month than any Doctor on Staff makes in a year. She says they dated and she brags ... but now there's nothing..."

"Dated? as in sex?"

"So she says ... she also says he knows his way around a playground ... including trimming the edges and shaving the parking slot," MED said.

"Oh my."

"Made me uncomfortable too ... especially when she said he's an oral communicator."

"Take over for me ... I'll be right back."

Right back was 20 minutes. The HEAD nurse was considerably less tense.

"Well," MED said, "While you were out ... word came down from on high that she's going home tomorrow."

"What about?"

"Nope ... he's not done."

"Where's she going ... his house is the only address we have."

"Ever heard of the Princessapality?"

"Oh ... they have the cutest flag," HEAD said, "She's from there? The only people who live there are ... she's a Princess?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.