Malan Mothers on Rehome - Cover

Malan Mothers on Rehome

Copyright© 2016 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 10

He waited, then listened to a reply.

"Right. Thank you. Please note that he is about to be arrested, so we don not want him leaving."

He closed the call. "Thanks, Ruth, for reminding me. He will not be able to leave now. Now we just hav

e to pick him up. Where will he be?"

"This time of day? Probably heading out for his evening meal, either at home or in a restaurant. Do we know if he is married?"

"The data we got for him does not mention any spouse, so presumably not," replied Ruth. Odds are, he eats out each night."

Roger banged his had against his forehead. "Bank!" He grabbed his phone again. Ruth queried his action, "Isn't the bank closed by now?"

"The doors are closed, yes." He got a response. "Ah, can I speak to Charles Hebden? This is Sergeant Crouch." He waited to be put through.

"Charles? Roger here. Desmond Duchesney: Can you tell me in what restaurant he normally pays for an evening meal? I'll wait."

It took less than a minute. "The Dream Kitchen? Right. Thanks, Charles. I owe you one. Bye."

As Ruth admired his tactics, he called The Dream Kitchen.

"Rehome Security here. Sergeant Crouch. Dom you have a reservation for a Desmond Duchesney for tonight? You do? What time? Fine. Thanks a lot. Most kind. We will be circumspect when we call to speak to him. Please do not mention my call."

Closing his call, he told Ruth, "Now, we visit the restaurant and apprehend our suspect, quietly and softly. Ready to leave?"

"If I can visit the ladies' first, it would be a help, Roger?"

"Of course. Let's both deal with such personal matters before we leave. Out and to your left, at the end of the corridor."

At Ruth's suggestion, Roger rang the restaurant again and suggested that in the interests of calmness and lack of disturbance, if he and his partner were given a table and some food, they could wait until Duchesney had eaten, paid, and was about to leave, before apprehending him. The restaurant approved the idea. "We are not too busy tonight, so we can allocate you a table where you observe your man's table. You can order when you arrive, sergeant."

"Thank you. We will want something simple and straightforward, in case we have to abandon it part-way through. You will understand, I hope?"

"Sir, if you will be as circumspect as you have promised, there will be no charge for your meal this time."

"How considerate of you. We plan to arrive at about the same time as Mr Duchesney. I will announce myself as simply Roger Crouch, no title, in case someone is listening. Farewell for now."

"Roger?" Ruth was now unsure of herself. "How do I dress for the restaurant? Ready to tackle our man, or dress for dinner? Skirt or no skirt? I have never done an arrest in a restaurant before."

"Neither have I for that matter. How about a business suit, or a dressy trouser suit, if you have either?"

"I have a business suit that I had for some undercover duties. I brought it with me when I came to Rehome, as I thought I might need it for interviews."

"That would do. I'll wear a business suit as well, so that we'll look as if we are having a business dinner. We could wear these again tomorrow, for our date."

"We are still going on that date, despite having a dinner tonight?"

"Yes, certainly, Ruth. Tonight is business, tomorrow is pleasure." He gave her a smile.

"That is nice to know, Roger. I think it might be pleasure, also."

"Right. Let's go get changed for tonight. Should I collect you from home?"

"It would be useful practice for tomorrow. I'll transfer my address to your phone for you. It is a small block, but just press the buzzer at my name when you arrive, and I'll be there quickly. I have to get a neighbour to look after Amech for me while I am out."

"Oh, yes. Your Malan daughter. I had forgotten you had a daughter. Sorry about that. I keep thinking of you as a single woman, and not as a mother."

"Roger, I have only had Amech as my known daughter for a few months. Just since arriving here. Previously, she was simply the baby that was removed at birth and taken away. Suddenly becoming the parent of an educated five-year-old is unsettling at first, but I am a keen mother now. Any man who gets me has to accept my daughter as his daughter."

She stopped in mid-flow, thinking of how that could sound. "Sorry, I wasn't referring to you, Roger, just whatever man I decide to marry, if any."

At the apartment block, Roger collected her with his Security Service car, a typical Rehome vehicle. Battery powered and silent, it looked like any other Rehome vehicle. Roger told her that the back of car had a panel which could swing up to be visible through the back window, and illuminated from the car battery. This would declare the vehicle as Rehome Security, as and when it was required. Tonight was to be a low key operation, so no overt sign of their official status.

The got to the Dream Kitchen, and parked the car in the designated car park. Then they walked to the door. Roger offered an elbow, and Ruth took it, so they looked like any couple out for a meal.

Roger gave his name to the waiter at door, where they left their outdoor coats, then they were taken to a table and seated. Ruth noted that Duchesney was at a table on the other side of the restaurant, but easily observed from their own table. The staff had done them proud, it seemed.

She recognised Duchesney from his photograph. Only his hair style was different. He was alone at his table; she was pleased to note.

Their waiter appeared and offered them menus. He leaned close to Roger and said quietly, "I recommend the fish starter, sir. All the main courses take a similar amount of time to prepare, so if you would select them now, your entrees will be ready shortly after your start is eaten. The sweets are ready to serve, so with luck, you will be able to have your entire meal here."

Roger looked suitably grateful. "Many thanks." He looked to Ruth. "Ruth? Fish for the starter, o.k.?"

She nodded, "Sounds fine to me."

"Main course?"

"Porchetta di Davida, please." The waiter noted it with a pleased smile, and looked enquiringly at Roger. He tapped his lip as he considered the menu.

"I'll have the Cranberry and Pistachio Nut Roast, please."

"Excellent choice, sir. It is a very tasty dish. I shall see to your starters. Shall I send the sommelier?"

"Alas no. Duty prevents alcohol tonight."

"I understand, sir. Perhaps coffee if you have time?"

"Agreed, on that basis. Thanks for your excellent attention."

"Glad to be of assistance, sir."

The waiter headed off to collect their fish starters.

They did have time for coffee after their excellent meal. Roger found his nut roast indeed tasty, and thanked the waiter accordingly. Ruth remained quiet, like a girlfriend out with her date, allowing the man to deal with everything.

Roger noted that Duchesney was having coffee now, and the waiter had tactfully left the bill beside his coffee cup. Duchesney touched his phone to the "pay" pad on the bill, and the transaction was over immediately.

Finishing his coffee, he got up to leave.

Roger and Ruth got up at the same time, and hurried to the vestibule to collect their coats. They were buttoning their coats before Duchesney had his in his hands.

The waited a moment, and when he had shrugged on his coat, Roger pulled the back collar into position, and when the surprised Duchesney turned to thank him, Roger said quietly, "If you would just come with us, Mr Duchesney. Rehome Security. We are arresting you for several crimes which will be detailed back at our office."

Duchesney found his one arm gripped securely by the man and the other by the woman who had been standing next to him. He found he could not move without their agreement, and accepted that he was caught. He tried to play the innocent.

"I am sure there is some mistake, constable, but I will go along with you and we can sort this out. I am always happy to assist Rehome Security."

Roger ignored his captive's assumption of a low level status. It didn't matter to him at this juncture.

They escorted Duchesney to the car, and handcuffed him to a hardened point on a side pillar. Roger told him, "You will be held in a cell overnight, Mr Duchesney, then we will deal with you in the morning. We will then have an authorised witness present to ensure your interrogation is tolerable."

"What about my car? It is in the restaurant car park."

"I am sure it will be safe, sir. If you are released, you can collect it. If you are detained for trial, we will arrange its collection, as an asset of yours. I presume you actually own it?"

"Of course I do. I am an important man, constable."

"Then you can hand over the key with your valuables when we process you for detention. We shall do what we can to treat you well, sir. Important criminals are treated the same as important honest civilians."

Once their prisoner was incarcerated, Roger and Ruth were finished with work for the day. Roger signed off at the office. Ruth indicated that she was a free agent at present, so did not have to sign off and on. Now they looked at each other, being officially off duty.

Roger was slightly embarrassed as he said to Ruth, "Do you want to do anything else before I deliver you home, Ruth?"

"Such as, Roger?"

"Perhaps a kiss, in anticipation of a pleasant evening tomorrow?"

Ruth was pleasantly surprised at this gentlemanly and shy offer.

"I am sure I can accommodate such a well-phrased request, Roger." She leaned forward as he placed his arms round her, and their lips met gently. Roger went to pull away, in the style of social formality, but Ruth held her lips to his, and kissed him with more vigour. Roger responded likewise, increased his hold on her, and they held that mobile pose for what felt an eternity, until finally Ruth disengaged. Roger stared at her in amazement. Ruth spoke at last.

"You appear to be able to kiss quite well, Roger. I think I can now look forward to our evening together tomorrow. You may take me home. Hopefully Amech will be asleep."


Once all their visitors had left, Jeannette picked on her new husband.

"Tom, if you don't get some work done on the encyclopaedia, I will have to take it over and bring in some more people to prepare it for publication. It still needs a lot of work."

"Dammit, Jeannette. You are a hard taskmaster. I was just interested in what was going on with these girls, and so left the editing for tomorrow."

"If that is all it was, then I am fine with it. I love you, my gorgeous hunk of a husband, but I have to wear my publisher's hat at times, and one of these is now."

"I'll kiss you for that in a minute, darling Jeannette, but can I suggest that YOU do the editing, and I do the finding of illustrations. I know where to find pictures on Rehome, but your eye is more likely to spot my typos and grammatical errors than me. Right?"

"Yesss, I'll grant you that, Tom. Right. As publisher, though, I reserve the right to question any entry that seems odd to me."

"Feel free. I am open to criticism, Jeannette."

It was two days later that she collared Tom with a question.

"Tom, this article of yours on Politics. I find it almost unbelievable."

"Why? What's wrong with it?"

"You claim that a Colony run by one man is preferable to democracy. The Rehome Governor is in effect a tyrant, Tom!"

"A benevolent tyrant, I agree. So what is wrong with that?"

"We should be a democracy, so that everyone gets a say in how things are run."

"I see. Please give me an example of a democracy that works well."

"The United States, for example."

"Yes. Corruption at all levels; only the rich can afford to run for high office, and it costs millions at every election; Media adverts say nasty and untrue things about your opponents; big business is given preference over the needs of the ordinary elector. The environment gets trashed in the name of profit. Need I go on?"

"Tom, you are picking on all the nasty bits of a government!"

"Fine. Tell me all the nasty bits about politics on Rehome, instead."

"Well, people don't get much of a say in anything."

"What do you want a say in, Jeannette?"

"I want to decide on what religion I follow."

"You can follow any religion you like here, but you can't push it on other people, that's all."

"But I can't have a church to go to; only the Church of Love."

"You object to the idea of loving your neighbour, do you?"

"No, of course not, but I don't have a choice."

"As I said before, Jeannette, you have all the choice you want, but only within the family. Once you set up a church organisation, that creates potential conflict with other religious organisations, and you end up with religious wars. The singular Church of Love avoids all that."

"Tom, I can see we end up agreeing to disagree."

"That's your free choice, Jeannette."

"I noticed your entry for Economics followed a similar theme."

"Probably. It all comes from the 'Law According to the Kempes', as I call it."

"So we get back to the tyrant Governor."

"Someone had to come up with the basis for our new Colony, Jeannette. It couldn't be another copy of the mess on Earth, surely?"

"No, I wouldn't want that, but why, for example, the minimal laws. What laws there are seem to be pretty lax, and stretch to accommodate most of what used to be considered aberrations."

"You mean, like American colonists decided to do when they took control of their own destiny? These men – and I hate to admit it was all men – decided that government should not be an oligarchy composed of the upper class of rich landowners. They decided to have their own structure to suit a new society. Two or three centuries later, that new country has developed the old faults of an upper class of rich men and women who think that only they should run the country.

The Kempes went back to basics, and decided to have a society run by a Governor whose prime purpose was to improve the lot of his people in the new Colony. Are you going to suggest he has failed in that ambition? The populace at large would not agree with such a determination. I never get letters to the paper suggesting we need to change control, or even get a new Governor. Bob Kempe somehow or other has found a way to keep the people contented.

Part of it was to have no onerous tax burden. That counts for a lot with families. He achieved that by dispensing with the idea of a standing army. Armies are expensive, Jeannette. He got a bonus from The Personalia when they decided to assist the new colony to develop its own society and economy.

That worked in other ways too. He and his friends guided The Personalia into their own business activities, such that The Personalia have become rich patrons not just of this Colony, but New Eden and other planned colonies on other planets. They have made considerable investments in Rehome's infrastructure. The Personalia also regard the Kempe family as friends and associates, which puts Bob Kempe in a strong position.

That did not prevent the Governor from handing over the next colony, on New Eden, to one of his Rehome officials. New Eden is completely in the hands of that local Governor, and it may be significant that he has adopted almost all the same laws and customs as Rehome. No-one said he had to adopt the same strategy. He just decided it worked, and used it satisfactorily. He has even established a similar rapport with The Personalia."

Jeannette looked at her husband with awe. "You are really and truly in accord with this Colony's strategy, aren't you, Tom? You are not the disinterested Editor I thought you were."

"Guilty. Hey, listen, Jeannette: I came here as a settler to farm – my Enid comes from a farming family, and I gave up my job as a journalist for her. It was Bob Kempe who got me my job as Editor. Admittedly, he was looking a for someone to set up and run the paper, and I was the only one with the experience, but he has never let me down. He remains a friend of this family, Jeannette."

"So that's who you seemed to know him so well? At first, I thought you were just sucking up to him, but actually, he is a genuine friend?"

"Yep. I dare say that is so. That is why I can talk with him about stories that I might run, and what we do about them. There is the occasional one that I shade in a particular way at his suggestion, and other times he gives me a story that I can use, and sometimes sell on to Earth media. That way, we make a little extra cash for the paper; sometimes a LOT of cash, if a story takes off."

"I did the right thing, keeping you on as Editor, it seems."

"Hey, marrying me, you HAD to keep me on as Editor, so that I can be a breadwinner for my family!"

"As long as you are a good husband and father, my love, I don't care what your job is. Though it is best to keep you out from under Enid's feet, I suppose."

Jeannette had been idly flicking backwards and forwards through the encyclopaedia pages on her phone when she stopped abruptly. "What is this, Tom?"

"Oh. Ambergris. It gets found on the shoreline occasionally."

Jeannette stared at him as if she could not believe what she is hearing. "Tom! It can't be ambergris. That is produced from the gut of a sperm whale, and there are no sperm whales on Rehome, are there?"

"Oh, yes. I see what you mean. No, there are no whales, as far as is known. Mind you, we know very little about what is in the oceans here. Too many large nasties to encourage investigation of the deeper waters."

"So, what is it? Has anybody looked at it in detail?"

"Not that I am aware of. Roundish lumps have been found, but no-one seems to have been interested. Apparently it didn't smell all that good, so it was left to wash away again. Those that found it didn't want to touch it. I just labelled it ambergris, as the nearest Earth equivalent, for that is found on the shoreline as well."

"Perhaps, but true ambergris is very valuable stuff, Tom. It provides an ingredient of many perfumes."

"Ah. That is probably why it didn't register with me. I have no interest in perfume!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.