Strangers in the Night
Chapter 30

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

The 544 rolled off the transporter. We started it and Wendy backed it into our assigned parking spot next to the lorry but under the lean-to tent. It was just a typical 1964 544 ... if typical includes a pair of Weber type 9 DCOE 45 carburetors and the Long manifolds and 121.2 cubic inches of forged pistons, forged and nitrided crank ground off center to add about three cubic inches of displacement. The more air/fuel mix the more horsepower.

The car had "Bells and whistles" up the ass.

Things like a shortened Ford 9 inch rear end, a long throw suspension, disc brakes and a reinforced body pan. The original pan doesn't have a real frame ... this one does. It keeps the flex under control

You need to know ... for a naturally aspirated overhead valve four cylinder it's loud.

Wendy let her 'rump rump rump' enough to warm up and make sure the Castrol Racing Oil was circulating good. She shut down and released the inside hood latch lever, got out of the XK 120/140/150 Aluminum bucket seat shell with the padded leather cover, exited the cage, released the external hood tie-downs and raised the hood. The hinges are on the radiator shell. It folds up from the cowl like an old Saab ... like the one parked in the next slot. A G93 Sonnet three cylinder two-stroke. An old man banged his head looking up too quick.

"I know that car," the old guy said, "Where's Dal?"

Wendy said, "At work, I suppose."

"Who are you?"

"Wendy Valmaat, sir."

"Oh god ... now I'm getting 'sired' by pretty girls," he clutched at his chest, "My heart ... I got old."

"Compared to Daddy, your acting is pitiful ... Sir," I said.

He noticed me.

He gave me the once-over. Old men have the 'Mom' look down pat. I assume it comes from being on the receiving end through so many years of marriage.

"You're that horrible kid Dal is always complaining about," he said.

"Probably," I laughed.

"Are you driving that monster?"

"Actually, Sir, my sister will be behind the controls while I am relegated to the co-driver readers position ... sir."

"Good! You were a terrible driver."

Quite a bit of Europe doesn't know about transferees. There aren't a lot of people who speak sumoi ... that's Finnish for you uninitiated. We don't really talk about it ... it's just the way things are. So it was up to me to make the turnaround gradual like. Politeness, and other signs of maturity are sometimes hard for someone who has known what a fuckup you were to accept. Generally they think you're having them on, no matter how you try.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.