Strangers in the Night
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Although we were on time the for the third stage, the drive to the start was fraught with impending disaster. A certain 'hesitation and jerkiness' had us under the car and I ... transmission in hand ... made a quick visit to the Audi Works lorry. The answer dashed our hopes for a decent finish.

"No."

"No?"

"They stopped making that particular five speed transmission nine years ago ... the bell housing fitment is different so you can't use the new six speed. The new engine is transverse front wheel drive with a jackshaft to the rear axle."

"Heck."

"Sorry. There's a used Audi case in Paris. Collecting it and organizing the machine works would take you past tomorrow's start."

I wandered past all the Audi privateers and got No for an answer.

"Rebuild the one you have. We did." was the general consensus.

I knew Wendy would be disappointed.

"Do you want to run anyway?" I asked Wendy.

"Is it safe?"

"I doubt it ... still Valmaat's can pick us up wherever."

"Wherever?"

"Where it breaks."

"So ... it WILL break?"

"Yes," I said. "We can't keep fluids in the case ... there's used case in France but it IS used and will need to be machined. There's no time."

"Pack it in, David." I knew she was disappointed.

I made a call home. "Is Dal's old 544 still running?" I asked Rikki. I could hear the baby in the background.

"Send it to France," I said. "Arras ... we'll run the Classic."

"Wendy? Would racing through the Pas de Calais and the Somme Valley work?"

"What would we drive?"

"Dal's old 544."

"It's at home."

"Rikki is shipping it to us," I said, "We have to pick it up in Calais ... Friday."

I got kissed again.

"We can stay in an Arras hotel. We'll have time to explore the city with its wide choice of restaurants and bars. We'll have a wonderful historic rally with great scenery, and like minded people."

So we lorried from Baumholder and its notorious hinkelsteins to Paris. There, we picked up the used five speed case and made arrangements with the local Citroen Works rally builder to fix our Audi while we continued on to Calais.

Rikki and Kiefer were on the dock waiting. Rikki has become a real treat to look at ... if the local young men are any judge. Real Finnish girls are too ... too ... too for my Michigan morals. Besides ... I like Wendy ... she's not from here.

Kiefer is a cutie. But his ancestry is written on his face ... the kid is German ... through and through. Stuck with changing his nappy while the sisters caught up I was impressed by the volume and holding capacity of cloth diapers ... but STINK? Made me wonder what Rikki feeds him. Little fucker is hung too.

We loaded the 544 in the lorry and headed for Arras.

We had to change from a room to a suite and Rikki insisted on a nanny.

"I need to get laid," she said. She looked at me.

"Nope ... try the bar," Wendy said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.