Strangers in the Night - Cover

Strangers in the Night

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 23

"You're not really from Central Michigan?"

"Oddly enough, I am."

"Why the third degree?"

"The United States is having a difficult time with the idea of transferees. Your switch, is a raving lunatic. His English is atrocious, he hates your mother, cell phones and computers are completely unknown. And his existence is anathema to the Church. Besides all that, he is insisting on the lifestyle he had in Finland."

"I don't blame him ... this is heavenly."

"Really?"

"Certainly, we race, we sail, the family has millions, I'm not really related to my sisters and they're beautiful. We're not hemmed in by Puritan morals. No wonder he went nuts."

"The government wants you back," she said.

"Good luck with that," I grinned.

"Have you no duty to your homeland?"

"Not one speck. I live here, I speak the language, I have a loving girl ... err ... girlfriends, My daddy is rich and my momma's good looking ... I ain't crying," I said.

"What if I told you that Russia is going to invade Finland?"

"I already know how That turns out," I said.

"The draft..."

"Possible ... in fact, I have to report this summer." I pondered a moment, "How's the war in Vietnam?"

I had been 'transferred' in 1964 and the draft in the US was getting into high gear. Thousands had been called up to replace the regular army being sent off to the wooly wilds of southeast Asia. I knew for a fact that I was 1-A in my old world ... with the Finnish Army, I knew that I'd be with almost ALL of the 18 year olds in the country. Eighty percent of all males are inducted at 18. Of course, my initial would be for 165 days then it's the Reserves until I'm 60. Even if I took the civilian choice I'd still be in the civilian reserves.

After the initial indoctrination I'd be free to enroll in a university.

It's a rite of passage in Finland ... you're not a man if you don't serve.

One thing I forgot ... I had to report ... in June.

Shit!

I wasn't in Finland in June ... well ... sorta ... I was on the boat ... probably in the canals ... and likely Russia.

I headed home.

There was a notice to report. So ... I did. I had to appear at my local doctor for a complete physical and passed ... mostly. I was still listed as emotionally deficient. Then I had to appear at my local board.

There were two military officers and a civilian on the local board. The subject of 'transferee' came up.

"How old are you?" asked the civilian.

"Which body?"

"Oh ... I like this one," said the Army Captain.

"I'm a transfer," I said. "This body just turned 18. My other body was 22. 23 now."

"What can you do?" asked the Navy Lieutenant.

"Drive fast cars, sail, fly ... not much else," I confessed.

They put their heads together and buzzed ... I just sat there.

The Captain said, "Finland doesn't have an air force."

The Navy guy asked, "Just sail?"

"I hate motor boats, they're noisy and rough," I explained.

"Got any university?" asked the civilian.

"Just a year," I confessed.

"Why did you leave?" he asked.

"Struck by lightning and ended up here," I said. "It's all in the doctors report."

So they read it.

"Emotionally deficient? What's that mean?"

"My morals cringe at the looseness of the Finn female," I said. I didn't bother to explain that I was over that.

"Hmm," they all said.

Heads together again..."At this present time, we're releasing you from military service. However, there could be a civilian requirement. Go home."

"My captains license is being upgraded. I have to be in Helsinki."

"Captains license? That's school."

Heads together again...

"The Army doesn't want you ... unless you're willing to spend a year training to be a reserve officer."

"The Navy might want you as a small boat captain."

"The civilian branch needs broom pushers ... no?"

I went back to Helsinki, finished up my upgraded license and went back to Syväsatama to see what Wendy had done to my boat.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.