A Well-Lived Life - Book 2 - Jennifer
Chapter 2: The First Step

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 2: The First Step - Following the dramatic end of Book 1, Steve is reeling from the devastating news he and his closest friends received. With their help, he begins to pick up the pieces and come to terms with the heartbreaking aftermath. Even as his body count of girls at Milford Junior and Senior High continues to rise, he develops several relationships that will drastically affect the direction of his life, starts a computer programming business and becomes aware of his little sister’s deepest secret.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   ft/ft   Mult   Teenagers   School  

June 11, 1978

I must have fallen asleep after the call to Birgit’s family. I woke to a knock on the door.

“Come in,” I croaked.

Stephanie came into my room. She shut the door behind her and locked it. She went into the bathroom and locked the door to Jeff’s room, then came back and sat next to me on the bed.

“How are you, Big Brother?”

“Bad, Squirt. Really bad.”

“I can tell. Mom and Dad have been talking and arguing for over an hour. She wants to ground you basically forever. She thinks that’s the only way to make you change your behavior. Dad doesn’t agree. He actually is arguing for no punishment because of how devastated you are. I’m not sure what’s going to happen.”

“Whatever happens, happens. Mom can’t change the facts. I loved Birgit more than anything. She’s gone now. And I have to deal with that, even if Mom doesn’t think so.”

“I’m going to try to talk to her when they’re done, but I don’t know if it will do any good.”

“Don’t get in trouble, Steph.”

“I don’t care. She can’t treat you like this. It’s not right!”

“I know, but Mom has to be who she is. You won’t change her.”

“How did you know?”

“Know what?”

“That Mom had sex before she met Dad?”

I couldn’t let on that Dad had told me. If that got back to Mom, Dad would be in real trouble. I didn’t like lying to Stephanie, but I didn’t feel I had a choice.

“It was a guess. She was twenty-five when they met, and she had her own apartment. Think about where they met, too, Squirt.”

“Las Vegas!”

“Yeah, not exactly where you go as a good girl for vacation in 1961!”

“Oh my God! So she did! And you called her a hypocrite!”

“Yep. I’m done playing games about church and morality with her. I told Father Buschmiller that I wasn’t sorry for having sex. Do you think what I did with Birgit was a sin?”

“Well, it was. But I kinda see your point. No, I guess I wouldn’t call it a sin, either. That would make it like dirty or nasty. But it wasn’t, was it?”

“No Stephanie, it wasn’t. It was beautiful and loving, and there is no way I could ever call it a sin. That’s why I don’t go to communion. I wrote that stuff in my journal.”

“Yeah, but I’m confused about some of the moral and religious stuff you write in there. I don’t really understand it. But I understand love. And I see how much you really loved her.”

“I did, Squirt, I did. I do. I always will.”

“So what about Becky?”

“We’re done. Well, I did promise to go there for dinner in a month, but I think we’re done. I have to call her and tell her about Birgit. I’m afraid she’ll think that without Birgit in my life, she can get me back. But I don’t think I want to. Birgit wasn’t the main reason I broke up with Becky.”

I got up, blew my nose, and lay back down on the bed.

“I couldn’t give Becky what she wanted.”

Stephanie interrupted. “Orgasms?” she said with a smirk.

In all this, Stephanie made me smile.

“Squirt, she had plenty of those. Amazing ones. You know what I meant. She wanted to be Mrs. Stephen Adams. Right now. Not after college. Not even after High School. I made the mistake of making love with her. Even though she denied it several times, she felt that was the commitment. I should never have done it. But I can’t undo it. Just like I can’t undo what happened with Jennifer.”

“Wait, you said you were going to call her. Are you talking again?”

“Not yet. She’s ready. But I can’t undo it. All we can do is move forward and see what happens. It’ll be different from what it was because we’re different. We both changed. God, Birgit was so smart. She knew we would change. That’s why she insisted on me dating. Why did she have to die?”

I was crying again. Stephanie lay next to me and hugged me.

“I don’t know, Steve, I don’t know.”

After a couple of minutes, she got up and said, “I should go before Mom comes. Come find me later, OK?”

“Sure. I need to call Becky now. Then I’m going to call Jennifer.”

Stephanie slipped out of the room. I thought about getting the journal out, but I didn’t want to have it out when Mom was certainly coming to find me at some point. There would be time for that later.

I dialed Becky’s number. I was happy that her mom answered.

“Mrs. van Hoek,” I said, “may I please speak to Becky?”

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea. She said you guys agreed not to talk until dinner next month. She’s pretty upset.”

“Under normal circumstances, I would agree. But things aren’t normal today. It’s really important. Please let me speak to her.”

She paused, as if thinking about it.

“Let me see if she’ll come to the phone.”

I heard her set the receiver down and walk out of the room.

A minute later Becky came on the line. “Hi, Steve,” she said evenly.

“Hi, Becky.”

“I thought we weren’t going to talk until next month when you come to dinner.”

“We weren’t. But something happened I have to tell you about.”

“OK.”

“Birgit died in a boating accident yesterday.”

“What?!” she gasped. “Oh my gosh! How are you doing?”

“Not good. Not good at all.”

“Do you need me to come over? I can get my mom to bring me.”

“No; not today. My mom is freaked out about my reaction and when she found out I had made love with Birgit she went off the deep end. She also knows I’ve been with you. I suspect she’ll call your mom and dad to tell them what terrible parents they are for letting us make love at your house.”

“She knows?”

“I told her. I don’t want to rehash the entire conversation, but I lost my temper and it came out. Just let your parents know. OK?”

“Steve, will you see me before next month? Please?”

“Yes; if that’s what you want. I can’t make any promises about how I’ll feel. Right now I just need friends. OK?”

“Yes. Can I come over in a couple of days? Mom will bring me, I’m sure.”

“My mom might try to ground me permanently, but yes. Come over on Wednesday. We can talk. Nothing more, though? OK? I can’t do anything more than just talk.”

“You know I love you and I’m sorry you lost your friend and that you hurt so badly.”

“Thanks, Becky. Just come after 2:00pm. OK? And you can stay as late as your parents allow.”

“Sure. Bye!”

“Bye.”

I wasn’t sure it was a good idea, but if I could salvage a friendship with Becky, I would.

My next call was to Andreas. I told him what happened and asked for a couple of days off. He told me to take the rest of the week and not worry about it. I thanked him and told him I would see him on Saturday and hung up.

I called Larry. He was doing OK, but was quite sad, of course. We talked for about ten minutes, and I could tell he was really making sure I was OK. I told him to stop by later if he wanted to check on me. He said he would.

Finally, I called Jennifer.

“Hi, Jennifer.”

“Hi, Steve, how are you.”

“About like you would expect, I guess. Broken, hurt, defeated, lost.”

“I’m so sorry. How can I help?”

“Come over and stay with me, please. Until I tell you to leave. Can you do that? Will your mom bring you?”

“What do you mean until you tell me to leave?” Jennifer asked.

“Bring some changes of clothes. We have a lot to talk about. It could take days.”

“Are you being serious? What about your mom?”

“I don’t care,” I sighed. “I don’t think she’ll call the police. That’s the only way she’ll be able to get you away from me. Larry will stop by later, too. Same thing. I’m just going to ignore the grounding.”

“Let me check with Mom. I’ll be right back.”

“Mom will bring me over in about an hour. I’ll bring some extra clothes. She did ask where I would be sleeping.”

“Tell her Stephanie’s room. Stephanie will have no issue with that.”

“OK. See you in an hour.”

“Thanks, Jennifer.”

I stripped off my clothes and got in the shower. I just let the warm water course over me. It felt good and I felt somewhat alive again. I got out of the shower, grabbed a towel to dry off, then walked naked into my room to find Stephanie waiting there. I quickly turned, grabbed my towel from the bathroom, then walked back into my bedroom.

She was laughing. “Impressive.”

Great, I had just flashed my little sister! At least she was being silly about it.

“Oh, shut up. It’s not that great.”

“Well, I haven’t seen any at all since we were little.”

“Good. And I hope it’s a long time before you see another one!”

“I came to warn you that Mom’s looking for you. I know I shouldn’t have been in here when you were in the shower, but I wanted to warn you.”

“Thanks. Jennifer will be here in about 45 minutes. And Larry will likely come by later, too. And Becky is coming on Wednesday.”

“Becky? Why?”

“Because I need all the friends I have to get me through this. And that includes Becky. I told her it’s just as friends.”

“Mom is going to flip her wig. She’s grounding you for the Summer. I think that’s the best Dad could do.”

My temper was starting to flare up again. I could feel it. I didn’t do anything to control it.

“I’m not grounded.”

“What?”

“I’m going to ignore it. What’s she going to do? Kick me out? I’ll move in with Becky.”

“Wait, what would that do?”

“Piss Mom off.”

“But would you sleep with her?”

“I’d marry her.”

“Steve, you can’t be serious!”

“As a heart attack. And I’ll tell Mom that, too. Or maybe I’ll suggest Melanie’s house so we can have sex in the sauna and invite Michelle over so the three of us can have sex together again.”

“Wait a minute? You and Melanie had sex with Michelle at Melanie’s house? At the same time?”

“Yeah, Squirt. Not in my journal. But it happened. I guess I probably should record things like that so I remember in the future.”

“Whoa! So you’re just going to tell her off?”

“Yes. I know she won’t kick me out. Well, I’m pretty sure. I don’t think Dad would let her. And if she does, I have options.”

“Wow.”

I walked to the kitchen and got a Coke. I saw Mom but just turned and started back for my room.

“Stephen Mark Adams! Come into your dad’s office right now!”

I walked in and shut the door. I sat on the couch and gave my mom the most petulant look I knew how.

“You are grounded for the Summer. No going out except for work and Summer school. No friends visiting. No telephone calls. And you will go to church every Sunday. You will go to confession and you will make things right with Father Buschmiller.”

My temper had already begun flaring up. The church stuff put me right over the top. I just didn’t care now.

“I am not going to church unless I want to. I will not go to confession unless I want to. And I don’t want to. I have nothing at all to confess. That requires repentance, and if you think I’m going to repent for making love with Birgit, you are wrong. Jennifer will be here in about 30 minutes. Larry is coming later. Becky is coming on Wednesday.”

“They are not. They will not be allowed in this house.”

“I hope you’re prepared to call the police. That’s the only way you can stop it.”

“I will call their parents.”

“Well, I suppose that might work with Becky’s mom, but I’m not sure. As for Jennifer’s mom, good luck. She knows about Jennifer and me. That we were lovers. And Mrs. Higgins will be on my side as well. So, yeah, go call the parents.”

I had worked up a full head of steam, and wasn’t about to stop.

“As for being grounded?” I continued, “I’ll see my friends when I want to. Here and elsewhere. I have a bike. I have friends who drive. I can walk. So no, I’m not accepting any grounding. The love of my life died and you’re grounding me because of it. Well, I’m not having it.”

“As long as you live in this house young man, you will follow these rules,” Mom said.

“Mom, I’ve followed your rules. I obey the curfew. I tell you everywhere I go, who I’m going with, and where we’re going, I do my chores, I get good grades, I save money. With the single exception of my sex life, which is none of your damn business in any way, shape, or form, you know everything I do.”

The temper was in full control now.

“If you are threatening to kick me out, I’ll go call Mr. van Hoek right now, tell him I made a big mistake, that I do love his daughter, and will marry her. We’ll get engaged immediately. I’ll ask to move in. They have a guest room. Or I might stay in her room, because we’d be engaged. Mr. van Hoek is a lawyer, I’m sure he could sort things out.”

“You can’t do that!”

“I will if you kick me out. I’m sure they’ll take me. And so would the Spencers. That would be better, actually, because I wouldn’t have to transfer to Indian Hill High School. Then I’d be walking distance from the school and I could stay in Melanie’s room.”

“What?!”

“Stay in Melanie’s room. The Spencers know that Melanie and I had sex. In fact, Mrs. Spencer saw us having sex. And you know what? She knows that Melanie and I had a threesome at her house. They’d let me move in. I’m sure of it.”

“You are out of control, young man!”

She was right — I was out of control. I simply didn’t care.

“Maybe I am. Earlier, you basically admitted you weren’t a virgin when you met Dad. I wonder what a single woman was doing in Las Vegas in 1961? Hardly the place for a moral, devout Roman Catholic,” I said snidely.

“That was different!” She gasped, flustered that I’d thrown that back at her.

“If you say so. I don’t see it. I doubt anyone else would. So, do I call to find a new place to live?”

She walked out of the room in a huff.

“Steve, you went too far,” my dad said.

“Dad, I’m upset. I guess distraught is the word. I lost my temper. I don’t care. She can’t see that I’m broken up about Birgit. She couldn’t even wait a few days until I had dealt with it at least on a basic level. I just don’t care.”

“Son, you can’t talk to your mom like that.”

“Dad, between us, do you think I should be grounded because Birgit died?”

“No, of course not. But that’s not why she’s grounding you. It’s the sex.”

“I know. And she can’t really do anything about that. Well, I suppose military school, but I’m not doing that. I’m sorry she doesn’t like it, I really am. But I am who I am.”

My dad thought for a minute. “I’m not sure what she’s going to do. There will be fallout.”

“Yes, I know. But I was serious. I follow her rules. Always. I’ll keep following them. But I won’t let her interfere with my friends and lovers.”

“Steve, you’ve fifteen. Your mom and I do have some say in your life. And you have to get control of your temper.”

“Yes, you do have a say. But at this point, shouldn’t it be about communication and respect? And allowing me to make decisions, even when they are bad ones? It’s the only way to grow up. Birgit taught me that.”

“You make a good point. I’ll discuss it with your mom. But it’s going to be hard. She doesn’t want you to grow up. In the next few days, I hope you see clear to apologize to her for the way you spoke to her. Not about what you said, but how you said it. If you want respect, you have to show respect.”

“Yes, Dad. I’ll do that. Now I need to go cool down, wash my face and stuff before Jennifer gets here.”

“OK, Son. About that comment about Melanie? A threesome? Were you making that up to get your mom’s goat?”

“No, Dad. It happened.”

He just shook his head as I walked out of the room.

I went and washed my face and made sure there were enough Cokes in the fridge. I went to find Stephanie.

“I was outside the office, I heard.”

“Snooping as usual!”

“What are little sisters for?” she asked with a smirk. “Besides, I can’t help you as well if I don’t know what’s going on.”

“You really are amazing, Squirt.”

“I am, aren’t I?”

I smacked her for that one. But softly, on the arm.

Jennifer arrived about ten minutes later carrying an overnight bag. I grabbed a couple of Cokes and we walked down the hall to my room.

I saw Stephanie in her room and told her to go get a Coke or something and come back to join us. She came in, shut the door, and plopped down in the beanbag chair. Jennifer and I were sitting cross-legged on the bed facing each other.

Jennifer looked at me with an arched eyebrow.

“Stephanie knows everything. I mean everything. I keep a journal. She reads it. With my permission.”

“Wow!” Jennifer exclaimed.

“She’s here because I’m not allowed to have girls in my room. This way, I have something of a defense when Mom sees us.”

“Oh. I guess that makes sense.”

“I don’t want to talk to you out in the living room, and I don’t feel like going outside.”

“Whatever you need,” Jennifer said.

“It’s been a couple of months now since we did anything more than saying ‘Hi’ at the lunch table. Where should we start?”

“Becky,” Jennifer said flatly.

“I guess that’s as good a place as any,” I replied, nodding. “The first thing you need to know is I broke it off with her. We called it a one-month cooling-off period but we both know it’s over. She had given me a necklace for my birthday. It had a ring on it that had her name inscribed. She had a matching one with my name. Last Sunday she took that off and put it on her bed. I took mine off and dropped it on top of hers. We both knew what that meant.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Jennifer said after a moment’s silence. “I know you loved her. For that to happen and then this thing with Birgit, you must be a complete wreck.”

“Yes. But without you and Melanie, I’d be worse. I’m so happy you agreed to talk to me. I want to be your friend.”

“Nothing more?”

I could hear a hint of hopefulness in her question. But I wasn’t in a state to even think about it. We had a lot to talk about, too.

“Jennifer, what we had was beautiful. I would love to have it again. But I know better than to even think that’s possible. First of all, we’ve both changed. A lot has happened since that last time we made love. Let’s repair our friendship and see where we are. Total honesty. That’s what was good about us.”

“Except for my deception when we made love the first time,” she said ruefully. “I wasn’t honest with you. And that’s the real source of the problem. And then I forced you to go to Becky. I’m so sorry.”

“Jennifer, I love you,” I said firmly. “I never stopped loving you. The past is water under the bridge. I mean it. Chalk it up to a bad decision made with the right heart and let’s move on. Be my friend.”

“I never stopped being your friend, Steve. I never stopped loving you. I just hurt so bad that I couldn’t keep doing what we were doing. I pushed you to make love to me when we were supposed to be taking it slow. I basically ordered you to have sex with Becky when you were trying to take it slow. I made a total mess of things.”

“Jennifer,” I said, taking her hands. “Stop! I get it. I know. Put it behind you and let’s start over. I don’t care what happened in the past. I only care about the future. And I have to repair my friendships. First with you, then with Melanie. And I have to shore things up with Larry. And I have to repair my friendship with Becky as well.”

“Becky?!” she asked, confusion in her voice. “What do you mean?”

“I mean I was friends with Becky before we took that step. I want to make sure that we talk things through and remain friends. I’m not looking to restart our relationship. She’s coming by on Wednesday so we can talk. As friends.”

“OK. I just was confused a bit. But I guess if you and Melanie can be friends, and you and Mary, and you and Michelle, then it does make sense.”

“I don’t know if it’s possible, but I’m sure going to try. It’ll be up to Becky. She’ll have to accept that it’s just friendship for it to happen. I’m not sure she can.”

The phone rang and Stephanie answered it.

When she hung up she said, “Larry’s on his way.”

We went out to the living room to wait for him. I wondered where my mom was, but I certainly wasn’t going to look for her. Larry arrived and we played some pool, talked, and hung out. It was good to have the gang back together. Stephanie joined us, at my request. I liked hanging out with her, and she was a very, very strong ally, and really, a guardian angel.

Late in the afternoon I asked Dad to get us some Famous Recipe and gave him $20 to pay for it. He told me I didn’t have to pay, but I insisted. He was back in half an hour and we ate chicken, mashed potatoes, and coleslaw. I managed to smile a few times and even laughed at a bad joke Larry told.

After we ate, Larry headed home. Jennifer and I went for a walk. I filled her in on what had been going on the past couple of months. I told her about Joyce, Anna, Bethany, and Kellie, though I left out the details about Bethany. I’d have to ask Bethany before I shared those.

I told Jennifer about how things had developed with Becky, how they had gone wrong, and drew the parallels to our own relationship. I told her about the issues with Melanie and Pete, about the blow-up during Spring Break and the subsequent events that led to the huge fight that Melanie and I had at the deli.”

Jennifer just listened. When I finished, it was her turn to tell me what she’d been doing. Mostly she had concentrated on schoolwork and playing chess. She surprised me by saying that she had gone out on two dates, with two different guys, but wasn’t interested in a second date with either one. When I asked why, she just looked at me and smiled.

She still had it bad for me. Just as I did for her. And there was no Becky in the way. And no Birgit. That last thought brought me to tears again. Jennifer said nothing, she just walked next to me and let me think. I wasn’t ready to hop back into a relationship like I had with Becky or Jennifer before. I thought again of Birgit and how she said that things would work out as they should.

I couldn’t imagine Birgit’s death being how things should work out — fate, or God, or the universe had taken her from me and it made no sense. I mourned for her, but I knew that eventually, I would have to move on. Eventually, I would have to grow. I resolved again that I was going to go and say a proper goodbye to her. I was going to be an exchange student to Sweden.

“Jennifer, I want to be friends. I want to do stuff together. I want to play chess, talk, and just enjoy being with you. Can we do that?”

“Yes,” she smiled. “We can do that.”

I took her hand in mine and we walked that way for a while. We decided to walk back through the woods along a path I knew. We came to a small clearing with a pond. I stopped, took her in my arms, and gave her a bear hug. She returned it. We rejoined hands and walked back to the house.

I decided that before I went to bed, I was going to apologize to Mom. In addition to being the right thing to do, it’s what Dad needed me to do. He was right, of course. I asked Jennifer to hang out with Stephanie while I went to see my parents.

They were in Dad’s office, as usual.

I shut the door and said “Mom, I need to apologize for how I spoke to you before. I lost my temper. It was wrong. It was disrespectful and obnoxious. I know that if I want respect I have to give it. I didn’t. I’m sorry.”

I waited. She said nothing. I waited some more. Finally, my dad spoke up.

“Judy, did you hear what he said?”

“I don’t think he means it.”

“Fine Mom,” I sighed. “I’ll try again some other time.”

I left the room. I wanted to be mad, but I couldn’t. I knew I had really gone off on her in a way that wasn’t right. I was in such an emotional state that I’d had no control. That wasn’t an excuse, but it was the truth.

I went to find Jennifer and Stephanie. We went to the living room turned on the television and sat down. Stephanie made some popcorn and we ate and half-watched two movies while we talked.

My dad came in and asked when Jennifer was leaving.

“In a couple of days. I need her with me. She’s sleeping in Stephanie’s room.”

“Your mom won’t be happy, but I understand. OK, Son.”

Over the next two days, Jennifer and I spent a lot of time just being together. There were still serious problems that had to be dealt with before we could decide where our relationship was headed. I had a lot of grief to get over. In the whirlwind of emotions I was going through, somehow, being with her felt right. I knew we’d have to revisit quite a few of the discussions once I was in a better state of mind, but I saw a glimmer of hope.

Just before she left on Tuesday afternoon, she said “When you’re ready, and I know that’s down the road a piece, if you ask me on a date, I’ll say yes.”

“That’s a deal. Remember, though, I don’t have sex on the first date.”

“We’ll see,” she said with a smile.

We both laughed.

We’d taken the first step.

Chapter 3 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.