One Last Job With Vengeance - Cover

One Last Job With Vengeance

Copyright© 2015 by Daniel James

Chapter 58

Stacking the last bag against the wall, Bridget downs the last of her wine and sits at the table.

"Right Bern, that's the last bag packed and ready"

"Thank heavens for that, I'm knackered. What's the time?" Bern enquires

"Just coming up to two"

"Well I think we have done alright. Three bags each in three hours and one bottle of wine an hour," Bern laughs

"Not bad at all but I think it's time for some shut eye for me Bern"

"I make you right. You go ahead. I'm going to wash the plates and glasses and take a shower then get my head down too"

"Okay hun I will see you sometime tomorrow morning. I'll be out before my head hits the pillow"

Planting a kiss on Bern's cheek, Bridget yawns and makes her way to the bedroom

The water felt soothing as it fell over Bern's body. She could feel the stress of the last few weeks drain away and disappear down the drain hole. The torrential rain, from the day, had finally stopped and the night was now eerily calm. The sound of a vehicle coming along the street was the only noise from the outside world. The brakes squealed as it pulled up, seemingly, right outside her window.

Bloody typical she thought. Just when I want to relax in peace some inconsiderate yob parks outside.

Rinsing the shampoo suds out of her hair, she runs the showerhead, one final time, over every inch of her body. Grabbing a towel, folding around her head, she takes another warmed towel off the rail and pats herself dry. Wrapping it around her body and tucking in at the top, to keep it secure, she takes the towel from her head and rubs her hair. Vigorously rubbing she stops dead. Akin to an animal being hunted, her ears instantaneously pricked and tuned in to a sound.

She knew the sound all too well. It was the sound of the front door lock turning. Straining, all she could hear was the hiss of enveloping white noise when everything is deathly quiet. Hearing nothing more she dismisses it. It's either Bridget checking the door was locked or just water in my ears she concludes and continues drying.

Her body now smelling and feeling fresh, she slips on a pair of bottoms and a figure hugging t-shirt. Reaching for the toothbrush, she stops again.

"That was not water in my ear", she whispers under her breath.

First, she heard a struggle, then a muffled scream, then a man's voice. There was someone inside the flat. "Shit, that was Bridget's voice". Listening intently at the bathroom door, she could hear Bridget asking.

"What do you want?"

The man's voice was harsh, matter of fact, as he answered.

"I want you to come with me" he said, "The Boss wants to ask you some questions"

Bern knew almost instantly by the accent that it was Saim's man. He must have figured something out. She could not believe it. The last night and it would have all been over.

Creeping back away from the door, the heel of her foot caught the bath panel with a dull thud. Oh crap, well it's fight or flight and I am not one for running she professes. Her whole body tenses as the adrenalin surges through her veins. Scanning the gap under the door, her eyes darting from side to side, she focuses on the shadow of feet standing directly behind the door. Holding her breath, she watches as the door handle begins to move.

With fists tightly clenched, she cocks her arm and waits. The door had opened only half way but that was enough. With every ounce of power, Bern throws her whole body behind the punch. The sound of cracking bone, as her fist landed, was a sure indication that she had broken the nose of the intruder. With a yelp, the man falls backwards into the room.

"You are down and no way are you getting up again," she wails as she rushes through the door

Her eyes glaring and transfixed on her floored target, her peripheral vision picks up movement and she notices the second man rushing towards her but it was too late. His shoulder down and forward, he crashes into her stomach sending them both toppling. Landing on top of her with the force of a train, like a burst balloon, the wind was knocked out of her in an instant. Within a fraction of a second, her body became unresponsive and limp.

Gagged and hooded, both women were bundled heavily into the back of the waiting van. As the heavy metal doors slammed shut, Bern scrambled to sit upright. Fishing on the floor with her hands, in the darkness, she feels for Bridget. As the diesel engines powers the van along the now deserted streets, Bern, finds Bridget. Relieved to find a hand, she wraps her fingers around and squeezes. As Bridget returns with a squeeze, Bern exhales a sigh of relief.

The van crawls to a halt and the back doors open with a squeak. In the darkness, groping hands fumble for the girls. Finding their targets, Bern and Bridget, thrown over the shoulders of the heavies, are carried into the house.

Heaved up two flights of stairs they enter a room and then dropped, like slabs of meat, onto two chairs. With their arms tied to the back and their legs tied to the seat, it made it impossible to move. Their hoods still in place stopped them from seeing but the smell of scotch and tobacco seeped into their sinuses.

"Boss they are secured in your office and waiting for you," the guard informed

"They, what do you mean they?" Saim enquired

"There were two of them in the flat so we brought them both. We didn't know what else to do"

"Well at least you did something right for a change"

"Thank you Boss"

"Now all three of you get out and sort out what has happened to my cars, and for Christ sake, get a towel or something, you are dripping blood on my carpet"

Saim made his way to the office and entered. Standing there, in silence, he took in the view of the two restricted women. One woman dressed in jogging bottoms and top and, by the way it clung to her breasts, obviously no underwear. The other woman, sitting in just her black lacy underwear and a see-through silk nightie, must have been cold by the goose bumps up her legs.

It astounded him that although they had just been kidnapped, tied up, hooded and then taken to an unfamiliar place, they looked quite composed.

Bridget felt the warm breath on her face, and by the overpowering stench of scotch, she knew Saim's face was inches away from hers. The hood, ripped from her head in one swift movement, made her blink repeatedly. Trying to focus her eyes, she grabbed the opportunity to gage the situation. Looking to her left, she saw Bern, tied to a chair as she was. Between them sat an empty third chair bolted, as were all three, to a length of wood on the floor. Underneath the wood, a blue tarpaulin that was stretched out and covered two metres either side of the row of chairs. Facing forward she saw his face, contorted in anger and for the first time staring directly at her face instead of her chest.

"Welcome to my persuasion room. I was not expecting two guests but more the merrier. Now in any other situation, seeing a woman in her underwear and tied up, I would have had a hard time stopping myself jumping on you. Knowing what I know now, and not wanting to end up with the same complaint as my clients, it's a lot easier to resist" Saim said tranquilly.

The slap to Bridget's face came fast and furious and Bern heard the pain in the yelp that exploded from her gagged mouth.

"I am angry with myself for not seeing it earlier," Saim confessed "One question, what have I done to you to make you want to ruin me?"

Bridget did not answer and just stared straight ahead as a trickle of blood, from her cut lip, fell like a raindrop onto her bare leg

"By the time this night is over you will be singing like a bird. Now let's see what your accomplice has to say shall we"

Clasping the top of the hood covering Bern's face, he pulls upwards. The hood falls to the floor as Saim steps back amazed. His eyes widened, and his mouth gapped open, at the recognition of the woman now sneering up at him with disdainful look.

"Well blow me I don't believe it. I can't believe it. It all makes sense now"

Stroking his goatee beard, tying it around his fingers, he moves close to Bern

"So Dan's alive. He must be. He is behind this"

Searching Bern's face for the tiniest subconscious reaction, he notices what he is looking for.

"By the reaction in your eyes I can see that I am right. It's been how long now, over three years I believe. Why now, why not a week or even a month after"

Bern stayed silent. There was no way he would get the satisfaction of an explanation from her, besides she didn't even know herself why Dan had waited so long. She had not mentioned Dan to anyone in three years and she was not going to start now.

"Well this is a turn up for the books. Two birds with one stone as you say." Saim smiled smarmily "I want you to call him. It would be nice to reunite you two love birds in your final hours don't you think"

With a defiant stare, Bern slowly shook her head and braced for the inevitable. The sting of flesh on flesh seared through her entire body as her head snapped round. Grimacing, she was determined not to let the pain show.

"Tell me the number or you will sit there and have the pleasure of watching as your lovely, diseased ridden friend here, slowly bleeds to death"

Reaching behind his back, Saim closes his fingers around the handle of the hunting knife hidden in down the back of his trousers. The mirror like blades reflection shone and danced around the room as the cold metal rested on Bridget's thigh. The dilemma began churning in Bern's mind. If she did nothing then everything Bridget had put herself through would have been in vain. She didn't ask for this but willingly accepted to put herself through the ordeal. If she gave Saim Dan's number, that would put his life in danger. There was no doubt in her mind Saim would not let them live anyway. One thing was for sure, if Dan found out about the situation and she had not called him, the rest of his life would be full of bitterness and revenge, so his life would be over anyway.

As the knife pushed deeper, Bridget felt her flesh stretch as it gave way to the pressure and opened. The moan that emanated around the room decided Bern's decision for her and she reacted. With her mouth still gagged, all she could do was make a grunting noise. It was enough to get Saim's attention and stop.

"Ah so you want to say something"

Removing the gag from her mouth, twisting the knife in his hand, he waited for Bern to speak.

"Okay okay I will give you the number," she relented in a defeated tone.

"Now that was not so hard was it?"

Flipping his mobile phone open, he taps in the numbers that Bern told him.

Dan's dive watch illuminated showing him it was three fifteen. He had been lying there for hours but sleep would not come. His head was full of the events that would happen in a few hours. Finally, the plan would be complete. Saim would be relieved financially of his source of income, he would contact Chief Taylor for the details of the cars, which he would sell on to gain at least some money back, and he would start a new life away from the criminal world.

When his mobile phone rang, it came as no surprise. He knew that Bern would not be able to sleep either. She would be as excited as he was for what the future holds for them together in their new life.

Reaching for the phone, he didn't even look at the caller I.D on the screen before answering.

"Hello beautiful, I was expecting a call from you," he said happily

"Hello to you too handsome" the caller replied mocking.

The voice sent shockwaves through every sinew and muscle of Dan's body. Far from the lovely soft tone of Bern that he was expecting, the voice on the line, recognisable from the first hello, was harsh and menacing.

"Cat got your tongue Dan?"

Dan knew if Saim had called him then he must have gotten the number from Bern. There would be only one reason Bern would have given it to him. It meant Saim had Bern. The pictures flooded his mind like water rushing through a burst dam. Images of Bern, bruised, battered and bleeding somewhere came like a slide show across his mind's eye.

Was she alive? Had he hurt her, or worse? Had he touched her? The only thing that Dan had in this world, that he could not bear to lose, was Bern, and Saim knew that.

"What have you done with her you bastard, where is she? If you have hurt her I swear," Dan cursed

"Calm down brother, she is fine. Actually she is right here next to me waiting for you"

"I want to hear her. I want to hear her now"

Placing the phone against Bern's face, Saim nodded

"Dan" Bern said softly

Before she could say anything else, Saim snatched his hand away

"There you go, you have heard her," Saim stated

The sorrowful sound in her voice, almost apologetic, weighed heavy on Dan. He had never heard her like that, all her life her voice had contained a vibrant uplifting tone but now, now, she was in danger.

"What do you want? You say Bern is waiting for me, where do you want me?" Dan spurts with an evident urgency.

"I want you here, at my house, the same one that you came to when you visited the last time. Park outside and walk to the gate. I want you to lift up your shirt and turn around. I will be watching so don't be a silly boy. The door will be on the latch. Come in and come to the second floor office. Both women, and I, will be waiting"

Both women, of course, Dan had forgotten about Bridget and he felt ashamed. He had no choice, he had to go, and go alone and unarmed. He would work out something, anything, to do on the way.

Dropping the phone to the floor, he sat in stunned silence. His head was spinning and already the pulsations were bringing on a headache. He needed his head clear to deal with this situation. Reluctantly, he physically shook the thoughts of Bern from his head. He needed to think of something fast. He had roughly twenty minutes in which to do so.

The night, although calm, was bitterly cold and the added breeze made the temperature drop dramatically. The shadow man, pulling his hood over his head and his collar around his neck, was trying to fight a losing battle against the wind. Dan had already told him that it was the last night of the plan but he had become accustomed to the nightly walks passed Bern's flat. Secretly hoping to catch another glimpse of the woman, with her nightie blowing revealing her nakedness in the window, he thought it would not hurt for another walk past.

Stopping and crouching, as always beside the garages, nothing was out of place. The lights in the lounge and bedrooms were off, as predicted at this hour, and inside there was nothing but darkness. He thought it would be too late but he was hoping to catch sight of her anyway.

At three thirty he knew they were undoubtedly tucked up warm in bed, which was just where he should be.

Standing up and stretching his legs he moves away. He had moved a few paces when a slither of light caught his eye. Instinctively he ducks behind a car. Lifting his head, he glances towards the flat. A shaft of light was emanating from the front door. Frowning, at first he waited just in case Bern had gone for a walk, as she often did to take photos of the night wildlife. Five minutes had past and he had to make a decision. Creeping stealthily towards the door, he waited and listened, silence. Pushing at the door, just enough to squeeze through, he entered the hallway.

The sound of his own heartbeat was the only sound to filter through the blackness in which he found himself immersed. Sliding along the wall, he finds the door to the bedroom, slightly ajar. Peering in to scan the room, his night vision slowly adjusting, he could make out the room was empty. Room by room he searched but found only empty cold spaces. Systematically making his way to the end of the hallway, he approached the last room, the bathroom. Swinging open the door, this room too was empty and dark, except for the light of a lone lamppost shining through the window. Turning out of the room the glow from the lamppost bounces off a mirror hanging on the back of the door. Startled he stares. On the mirror were the words SAIMS HOUSE scribbled in, what looked like, lipstick.

His fears came all at once. Someone had taken them and somehow one of them, Bern or Bridget, had managed to leave the message. Running into the lounge, confronted by and overturned chair and signs of a struggle, confirmed his fears. Sprinting out of the flat and down the road to his car, he punches in Dan's number on his phone, No answer.

"Shit shit shit," he yells aloud. He knew the location of Saim's house, he should do he had followed Bridget to and from there enough times.

If he couldn't get hold of Dan it was down to him and him alone. Sitting in the driver seat of his car, he tries Dan's number once more. Throwing the phone onto the passenger seat and letting it ring on speakerphone, he starts the engine. Again getting no answer, there was no time to wait, he grinds the gears into first and wheel spins along the road.

Ten to four in the morning, the street was dark and deserted, except for a lone cat sitting on a green rubbish bin. With one leg in the air and proudly cleaning his body, he and the rest of the neighbourhood were oblivious to the drama that was unfolding under their noses. Stepping out of his car and walking to the gate, Dan did as instructed. Inside the gate, he stops, lifts his shirt and turns, showing that he has no weapon.

He had thought about hiding a knife, a gun anything, but decided it would be too risky and would give Saim the excuse, if he needed one, to carry out his threat. He knew what Saim was capable of and there was no way he was going to put the girls in any more danger than he already had done.

The main lights inside the house were out and all windows were dark, except one. A second floor room at the front of the house was lit up. The light was too dim to be a main light but bright enough to be a couple of lamps.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.