One Last Job With Vengeance - Cover

One Last Job With Vengeance

Copyright© 2015 by Daniel James

Chapter 37

With the number dialled and the phone ringing, Dan felt an uneasy sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. He didn't know who the man was, or what he wanted, but he had to find out one way or another. It took five rings before the other end answered and the line was connected. Not saying anything, he wanted the person to speak first. Maybe he could recognise the voice from the first hello, if he could, then he could hang up without speaking.

The line was silent, neither caller spoke. An uneasy silence hung in the air. He could hear the breathing down the line. Obviously, they both had the same idea to let the other start the conversation. After an extended silence, he heard an intake of breath, and then a voice spoke.

"Hello Dan"

The voice was plain, no rise or fall in tone. There was no way he could recognise the voice from just two words. He needed more. Reluctantly, trying to keep his voice at an even drone, he replied

"Who are you?"

"At this point in time, that has no relevance," the mystery man exclaimed.

The voice, he was sure, was being disguised and the muffled tone gave that away. Even so, he could usually pick out some signature, but not this time.

"What do you want?" Dan demanded

"What do I want, I want nothing. I want to give"

"Give, what do I need that you can give me?"

"We have a common enemy you and I. You want to bring him down. Take everything back that he took from you. An ally to make this happen would make your plan easier. That's what is on offer and that is what I want to give you"

"How do you know I have an enemy, or even a plan for that matter?"

"Again, that has no relevance"

"How do I know I can trust you? You won't even tell me your name"

"If you couldn't trust me, the whole of London would know by now"

"Know what?"

"That you are alive"

Whether he could trust the mystery voice or not, didn't matter now, he had already gone too far. By the simple fact of having this conversation, confirming he was alive, pushed him passed the point of no return.

"Oh by the way, your plan worked out well"

"What do mean?"

"I saw the change of guard this morning. The four new guys were laughable"

For the first time in the conversation, Dan could hear a change in the voice. He could sense a smile over the phone.

"How do you know I had anything to do with that?" Dan queries

"I was watching everything. You, giving the homeless kid the cards, and him passing them on to the heavies. Even the four bodies clumsily being disposed of"

"If you were so keen on helping me then why didn't you approach me when you were watching?"

"It doesn't work like that. You have your reasons for wanting Saim gone and I have my mine. Let's leave it at that for now. Also, I have paid the kid his second payment for a job well done for you. Think of it as a gesture of good will between our alliances"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.