One Last Job With Vengeance - Cover

One Last Job With Vengeance

Copyright© 2015 by Daniel James

Chapter 29

Ray was determined to get clear of his debt. How he had racked up so much he had no idea but what Dan had said to him made complete sense. He knew he was into the shark for a lot but he had a million now and he now had enough to cover the whole debt in one. Although he would only have a couple of hundred thousand left, it was better than not having his fingers and toes.

Holding his phone in his hand, he reluctantly dials the number while secretly praying that there would be no answer on the other end. Four rings had passed and he was feeling a little relieved. On the fifth ring came the click as the line was connected.

"The boss was expecting your call"

"Yeah I know, can you tell him I have his money"

"You can tell him yourself, he wants a word"

Ray's pulse raced, as the words hit his ears, it felt like a bomb had been dropped. Nobody speaks to the boss. He had heard him in the background but never spoke to him directly.

"Hello Ray" a familiar voice softly says

Instantly recognising the voice but he cannot place it. Ray answers

"Hello Sir, I have your money. I can pay you in full"

The shuddering of his voice box is evident.

"I know you can now that your job has finished"

How did he know about the job? None of the crew had blabbed, of that, he was sure. They would not have been that stupid. We had been so careful, and the club was the only place that we discussed anything.

Was it someone at the club? No, they were either old boys or young mums. Damn, I know the voice, think, think.

"You owe me seven hundred large and it's time to collect"

"Yes Sir, tell me where you want it and I will be th..."

"Not so fast" the boss interrupts

"I had to wait longer for you than I have ever waited for anybody, which will come at a price."

"Price, what more can you want? You have already doubled my amount"

"The price is now one and a half million, if you want to play with the big boys then you better be ready to take the ups and downs"

"You are joking aren't you? I don't have that kind of money"

"Oh I think you do. You have made a cool million from your job"

The knowledge the boss had shocked Ray. How could he know so much?

"Yes and that is what I'm paying you with, but that does not cover what you want"

"Understood but, with Dan's money sitting neatly next to yours, combining them together will cover it and still leave you with half a million to gamble away"

How on earth could he know that? It must be someone close enough to hear everything. Did the smoking shack have a microphone? Had Rob told anyone, as he was the only outsider, maybe the job was too big for him to keep his mouth shut.

If it were Rob, Terry would be in for it big time.

"Sir, I don't know how you know what you do but obviously you are in this game. You know that I cannot, and will not take someone else's pot. That's not how it's done"

"I don't give a shit what you will or won't do. I will have my money, in full, one way or another"

"Dan will kill me if I ever touch his share"

"Yes he would, if he was still here, but I would do worse believe me. Anyway, you don't have to worry about that two bit wannabe gangster anymore"

The words hit Ray like a thundering train and his knees felt like jelly unable to support his weight.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Let's just say, you pay me the one and a half million, you keep the other half million and there will be no comebacks. I told you once that the only winners in gambling are the sharks and the bookies"

Instantly Ray knew who the Boss was. The little smiles and knowing nods over the last few weeks switched on a light in his mind and now made complete sense. Saim knew exactly who Ray was as soon as he joined the crew. That's how he knew about Dan's money.

"Saim" Ray screamed, "You are a bastard, how can you do this to Dan? He brought you in. You even took three quarters of a million in Gold"

"Easy now Ray or I will have the full two million"

"Fuck you, Dan is, was, my mate. We have known each other for years. No matter how hard he was he did not deserve that"

"Too late now, you will meet my boys and take them to the hideout. Dan is gone now so be happy with what I am leaving you and get on with your life. Alternatively I can take the lot and you will see Dan again quicker than you thought"

"I don't like it but there is no undoing what is done, not that I have a choice. I will send you the details of the location"

"Now we are getting somewhere. You know it makes sense"

Ray hangs up and instantly bursts into tears. Not only has his best friend been taken out but he is giving his cut of the job to the double crossing bastard who is responsible.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.