The 400 Year War - Cover

The 400 Year War

Copyright© 2015 by RWMoranUSMCRet

Chapter 6

This chapter will be a bit different than the preceding chapters only in the sense that I have combined the relation of the facts of the conflict between the American Indian Tribes and the European Settlers into the (fictional account) at the end of each chapter. This account is in actuality taken from a number of combined reports of the ferocity of the fighting in the middle of the time period leading up to the formal hostilities of the French and Indian Wars for supremacy in the New World. There is no reason to suspect that the accounts were not true in their substance since they were basically eye-witness accounts of the events that were unfolding over a lengthy time-frame. Although these accounts come from the side of English Settlers they seem more perplexed at the lack of confidence by the Indian Tribes who seem fully under the sway of the French Explorers and traders attempting to establish "New France" as the dominant power in the New World. A lot is made of the fact that the American Indian Tribes were generally barbaric in their treatment of captives but such attitudes were part of historical culture going back centuries and were not different than their treatment of other Indian captives taken in inter-tribal warfare over a period of a thousand years.

In a later chapter, we will see the eye-witness accounts from certain Indian Tribes about their treatment at the hands of the invading Europeans and even some written reports from the French point of view during the French and Indian Wars with regard to their attitude toward the Indians, The English settlers and the soldiers of the Crown sent to assist the settlers in their war of attrition against the French-sponsored mayhem. All sides believed their cause to be just and their consciences were clear that they were in the right.

To illustrate the nuances of divine right, consider the prayers of the opposing sides written some 400 years ago in the height of the conflict.

"We thank you Lord that in your great wisdom you have deigned to test us in our resolve and with your wondrous design to humbly improve us and punish us for our sins by placing a sufficient number of the fierce and barbarous savages on our border, to be pricks in our ears, and thorns in our sides, and they have been as the boar of woods to waste us, and the wild beast of the field to devour us." A prayer of an English Settler in the midst of the savagery of the Indian Wars during the Colonial Period prior to the even more devastating French and Indian Wars of 1750 to 1763.

"O great creator of land and the sky, we your people ask you to cast these invaders from the sacred resting places of our ancestors. Remove from us their terrible pestilence and duplicity. Let us not listen to their lies any longer and drive them back into the sea from which they came." This is a prayer of a New England Tribal warrior preparing for battle to remove another English settlement encroaching on his land.

A TRUE ACCOUNT OF OUR TRIALS IN THE WILDERNESS

1702

The arrival of the new Governor Dudley came at a time when the Indian Tribes were generally calm and peaceful according to reports from the distant outposts. There had been no serious incidents for almost a year and he was hopeful for continued peace in the future.

Unknown to the settlers or the new Governor, the Indian Tribes were being severely agitated by the lies and rumors of the French garrisons in the North and the Indians were beginning to make verbal threats and insults against the English Settlers that continued unabated for a long period of time. It was determined by the appointed English government that a conference would be held at Casco calling together many of the Indian Tribes interested in trade and commerce with the English Settlers. Mauxis and Hopehood, Norridgewock, Wanungunt, and Wanadugenbuent and from Penebscot, Wattanummon, Adiawando and Hegan, and from Penecookf and Pigwacket. The Mesambomett and Wexar, from Amsconty with almost 300 warriors in 65 canoes, most armed with long rifles and adorned with finery. They appeared smiling and affable with no indication of hostile intent.

A large tent was erected for the center of activities for the Governor and his staff and the prominent members of the Colonial government. He addressed the gathered Indian chiefs and advised that he had been commissioned by the great Queen across the sea to treat with them as friends and brethren hoping to reconcile what differences had arisen since the signing of the last treaty.

The Indians responded by acknowledging his sincerity and for visiting them in such a distant place. They said that they were impressed with the representation of so many high ranking gentlemen of the Colonial Provinces and confirmed their only desire was for peace. They swore on the earth, moon and stars in the sky that they would never breach the peace in the future. They presented him with gifts and invited him and his staff to a place of signing a new treaty confirming peace was their only intent. After the ceremony, they all fired shots into the sky and the Indians shouted, danced and sang their approval of the signing.

The traders opened their stands for business and the prices of trading were established. The Indians were given tangible presents which they received with gratitude. The flavor of the moment was that the region would now have a settled peace of lasting value. It was reported that several religious representatives of the Papist religion attempted to tempt them from their sworn allegiance to the English rule. When questioned, the Indian Chiefs answered that the attempt made no impression on them and that they were solidly behind the English rule in the Colonies.

This reported attitude amongst the savages was encouraging to the settlers in the eastern parts of the Colony and they decided to remain and stand their ground. Other new settlers were poised to join them because the land was fertile and there was plenty of lumber, fishing and other raw materials at no cost. The first indication of something not being quite right was the Indians insistence that the Settlers conclude the treaty with the first volley of shots. The Colonists gladly did so considering it a great compliment to be given the first opportunity to celebrate. However, it was reported soon after that the Indian plan was to take advantage of the empty rifles to kill all of the English settlers and win the day. The only thing that saved the Governor and the high ranking settlers was the fact that most of the famous Indian Chiefs were in the same tent to be attacked and would surely be slain as well. Under the guise of waiting for the great chief Watanummon, the spiritual leader of the Pisrwacket, the English leaders waited for several days afterward. As it turned out, the Indian plan was to wait for reinforcements of some additional 300 French and Indian fighters who were determined to capture the Governor, the entire governmental council and the high-ranking settlers and then to massacre the settler inhabitants at their pleasure slowly and with much torture. It did not come to pass because the French commander delayed their action to avoid blame being placed on the French presence. Despite this failure to execute the plan, only a few short weeks after, the entire province was up in flames with no house left standing and no garrison absent attack. The main attack began early in the morning on a Sunday with much bloodshed and barbarity. The invading force of almost a thousand French militia and Indian Tribes split into a number of smaller raiding parties and hit the entire Colony from one end to the other. Hostages were seldom taken and the raiders killed men, women and children without mercy for age or sex.

The elderly and infirm were the first to go because they had no defense. They were followed by the tender aged infants deprived of life in the most hideous of tortures devised by the beasts of the forest. The gallant town of Wells, famous for standing ground in all previous wars was totally destroyed with a loss of nigh onto a hundred souls before the cows were milked. The small fishing villages with only a smattering of fisherman were wiped out with little effort. The manned garrison at Winter-Harbor put up a staunch defense but was overrun and forced into submission. Close to 200 residents were taken into hand and executed on an open field with much horror. One raiding party destroyed Saco-Fort suffering great loss of life and captivity of more than two dozen inhabitants mostly female. Spurwink ceases to exist with similar losses. Scarborough was well defended in garrison and was avoided by the Indians fearful of their long guns. The cunning Indians sent a captive with terms for surrender but the officer in charge took the prisoner and refused the message. They stayed under long siege and were rescued by a reinforcement party sent to them to assist.

Perpooducks was devastated because they had no garrison to hide behind. The settlers were butchered in their beds killing men, women and children without mercy and with much suffering from torture.

On the outskirts of the Colony, in Casco, a fort commanded by Major March no less than three bands of Mauxis, Wanungonet and Assacombuit advanced under a flag of truce begging to import a message of importance. At first, the commander refused to talk but then later relented and went out to talk to them because they appeared to be unarmed. They spoke of peace and friendly discussion but their tongues were deceitful and they extracted their sharp hatchets from under their cloaks and attacked the truce party. Other Indians hiding in ambush nearby shot the sentinels and they chased the commander with their hatchets unsuccessfully because he was rescued by a party of ten fighters from the fort. Most of the truce party was slain by this treachery. Failing in their attempt to take the fort, the Indians fell upon the farms and cottages destroying all. The garrison stayed untaken under siege for many days. All of the raiding parties came together surrounding the fort with close to a thousand French militia and Indian savages with their hands covered in English blood and their hearts stained with dishonor. They used captured vessels to attack the fort from the water side and would have been successful if not for the fortunate arrival of a relief force that sunk their vessels including upwards of 250 canoes. The attacking forces withdrew and turned to Hampton killing all residents with quick dispatch. They avoided the fort which was reputed to harbor several dozen militia with dangerous long rifles and plenty of ammunition. A troop of armed militia was sent to Portsmouth in relief and Capt. Wadley took a company of Dragoons to Wells to assist the residents. The thought was that the eastern part of the Colony would be in danger but the Indians then fell upon Deerneld taking many hostages. At this time, the raiding parties stretched more than 200 miles up and down the Colony burning farms and cottages wherever they were found. The Governor sent a force of some 400 armed men to Pigwacket under advice that the attackers were hiding there but they did not come into contact with them. Other armed forces searched but could not locate the attackers. One small search party of about twenty was ambushed and entirely killed by a force of over 200 Indians at Blackpoint. A separate raiding party of Indians fell on York slaying all residents except the widow Parsons and her daughter who were carried back to Canada. The militia chased the Indian invaders but they wisely split into small parties making more mischief than the larger party. Seeking to be rid of the Indian raiders, it was approved that the Government would pay the sum of 40 pounds for each Indian scalp. That energized the militia to run them down and cash in for the bounty. In retaliation, the Indians selected certain hostages and burned them alive just to hear their cries of pain and despair.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.