Brian, Where Are You? an Alone and Afraid Story - Cover

Brian, Where Are You? an Alone and Afraid Story

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 5

We arrived back in Nashville and met with the police. They had no leads. Beth asked what she should do about declaring Todd dead or for some guidance. The police suggested that she get a lawyer. She called the education association and received a recommendation. She called and made an appointment and asked me to go with her.

We met with Michael Ponder, a youngish man of about thirty. He said, "I've read about these two cases. I know you two are personally involved but, legally, they are truly interesting. There was a rash of missing persons that same night or early morning under very similar circumstances.

"Missus Moore, I can take your case at a reduced rate through the education association. Miss Childers, as long as your case mirrors that of your sister. I will take it just for the difference in costs involved. Actually, I believe that both cases will fair better together than apart. Did either of the missing men have a will?"

Beth and I nodded. He continued, "Are the two of you executors?"

I said, "Beth and I are co-executors of Brian's will."

Beth said, "I am the executor of Todd's will."

He said, "Okay, let's get started collecting information on each man. If this gets done in a year, I will be surprised mostly because courts are slow and judges will be reluctant to rush any decision so you never know. I just don't want you to have any false hopes in this matter."

I said, "My brother and I shared an apartment. Actually, it was his apartment. I just finished college but plan to move to the dorms as a r. a. in early September."

Beth said, "My husband was on the lease but it's up at the end of the month. We hadn't decided what to do. My initial thought is to move to Brian's apartment while we work things out. I can store whatever needs to be stored."

Mister Ponder said, "Okay, ladies. You can work that out. There is a receivership petition we can file to cover Brian's financial items. Missus Moore, you can handle your affairs from your joint account. Do you work? Oh, yes. You're a teacher.

"If all this is agreeable, I can start. Give me a couple of days to get the details settled in my mind so my recommendations make sense. I should have some petitions ready by then also. He collected the police reports and other information we had. We shook hands with him and left. We returned to Brian's apartment.

Beth and I talked. "Shirley, have you any solid plans yet?"

"I'm not truly happy with them but, with my fellowship and taking an r. a. position, I can make it financially. I'm just coming to grips with the truth that I'll never see Brian again." Tears came to my eyes. "He's been my rock. You know that I've gone through guys in high school and college but I''ve always known that Brian loved me and had my back. I'm a little scared now. I always knew I could call him and he would be there to do whatever I needed. I've never had to call him but just knowing gave me confidence. Now, I'm afraid he's gone!" The sobs came and Beth joined me. We held each other and cried until we weakened in each other's arms.

Over the next two days, we realized that Beth and I missed Brian more than Beth missed Todd. I started helping her move from her apartment to Brian's place with me. I didn't go out and actually had few calls. I had been between guys at the time. Brian's landlord was very understanding and pleased that the apartment would continue to be rented.

Nat and Amos returned from a shorter than planned vacation and returned to their jobs. Both asked to be called with any information and if they could help. Nat tried to suggest that he would be willing or like to be my surrogate brother but I pretended not to hear or understand that. I liked Brian's two friends but not that way.

I wanted Beth to meet someone but more time would have to pass. We met with the lawyer, Mister Ponder. He was nice looking and I made Beth dress nicely for him. His eyes appreciated that effort and I could tell by looking at him look at her.

He had accomplished much. The Probate Judge was ready to approve a receivership for Beth on Todd's affairs and for both of us for Brian's. He had two other lawyers lined up to help with the cases to declare Todd and Brian dead. He told us that they were talking about practicing together anyway and this would help our cases move onward and give them a chance to work together. He said there would be no additional charge. He admitted that the cases were interesting from a legal perspective even if the clients weren't two beautiful ladies.

We blushed lightly. He had paperwork for both of us to sign that would start the process. We planned a memorial service for Brian and another for Todd. Brian's would be well attended by friends from our personal life and his work. Our parents were invited but didn't show. Our mother was with her latest boy friend and our father didn't respond at all.

"Beth," I said, "That is the last time I try to make contact with either of them. I can only tolerate so much and this is it. I'm particularly disappointed in our father. We didn't know what was going on with my mother and he knows that. He just disowned us. They will have to live without me in their lives."

Beth said, "I understand. I don't understand why we're the bad guys. It was their marriage. I do know that Mom is trying to live younger than she is. Having children our age isn't possible with the age she now claims. I never did understand Dad's attitude and still don't. We'll just have to let it and them go."

Brian's service was inspiring. Beth and I spoke and then the preacher opened the service to others to speak of Brian. I never knew that my brother affected so many people in so many positive ways. He was always my wonderful, big brother. I understood him better from hearing his friends and co-workers talk about him and his caring ways. Two different women spoke wistfully wishing they had had the chance not just to know him as a friend but to have dated him more.

Todd's service was quite different. Todd's parents wanted it at their church and Beth reluctantly agreed. The preacher was the only one to speak and his message left me with no comfort for anyone in the church. Few of our friends had come and I was glad. It was Todd's church, his co-workers and a few teachers that Beth knew. When it was over, I was glad to leave.

Todd's mother made a caustic comment to me about me and then about Beth. It got on my last good nerve. I said, "I'm just thankful they never had children. Beth can now put this behind her and move forward with a happier life. Todd was a downer, emotionally." She didn't like that and walked away from me muttering that I was a hussy. While that may be true, it had nothing to do with Beth's relationship with Todd.

I had been examining my life. I continued to examine my life after hearing people speak about Brian and was coming to the conclusion that some changes in my life that had started were going to be fixed for my future. My behavior was potentially self-destructive and hadn't been fulfilling anyway. I would think some more on this tonight while in bed.

We left Todd's church as soon as we could politely. Beth gave a sigh of relief when we were in the car and rolling. "I'm glad that's over. I will not return to that church. It's a very exclusive group and they don't love anyone if their opinion differs from the official line. Mine did. That was another issue I had with Todd. Some of their statements defied all logic."

Another week passed and we went to the court for a hearing and the judge granted the receiverships. There had been no objections. The judge said that she was sorry for our losses. We added our names to Brian's account. Beth just closed out Todd's. We were surprised to note how much money Brian had in his account. We were even more surprised to find that he had a savings account with even more money in it. Apparently, he had been saving his bonuses as well as living below his means. I better understood why he politely refused my help with food or bills even when I worked during the summers.

Mister Ponder had told us that a hearing for declaring them dead was set for three weeks from today. I dreaded that because I realized that was a final step in saying good bye to Brian as a living person. I knew this was silly but there was something in my heart that hated doing that even though I knew we should do it and even though I knew that Brian would want us to do just what we were doing.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.