08 Together
Chapter 66

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Flashback – Ben and George (the Butterbar) – Working on the downed chopper

The last thing I remembered was talking to George as I chucked medical supplies out of the chopper ... I slowly began to wake up and realized I’m strapped to a fucking stretcher in a different chopper. I tried to sit up and yelled, “My rifle! Where the hell is she?”

The flight nurse came over and reassured me, “Don’t worry Sgt. Blaine your packs and rifles are here because the lieutenant made sure that we took them with you. Now sit back and relax because we’re going to take extra special good care of you.”

I was still a little woozy but the last part of her statement sounded weird so I asked, “What the hell happened?”

The flight nurse smiled at me and said, “The chopper you were in was hit by two RPGs, they knocked you out so you’re headed back to the base for a full check-up.”

I was sure something was implied by the ‘full check-up’ but I sure didn’t understand why. I was shocked when the flight nurse checked to make sure no one was watching, then she leaned over and gave me a hell of a kiss. When she finally let me up for air I sputtered, “What the hell...”

She shushed me, “ ... Just enjoy it Sgt. You saved our head flight nurse Cindy and we take care of our own.” To emphasis the point, she kissed me again and her hand traveled to my...

Flashback – Jack – in the hospital

I was deep in thought about the shit that happened to Masha when the corporal finally came and interrupted my thoughts, “Colonel Maggie says you can stay in your own room. I’m here to help you to your room.”

I began to get of the bed but my back felt like shit so I said, “Damn, I don’t think I can move right now. How about you find a nurse and ask her if I can have something for pain.”

The Corporal replied, “Yes Sgt. Reynolds, I will find her immediately.”

He left and my mind instantly went back to Masha. I remembered a couple of retired Marines who owed me some favors and decided I would make some calls once I got settled in.

The Corporal came back with the nurse and I asked, “My back hurts like hell, how about something for pain?”

She checked my chart and said, “Sorry Sgt. Reynolds, you’re not due for any pain pills for another two hours.”

I really was suffering so I tried another way, “Well, how about a shot then.”

She said, “If we return to giving you shots, then we can’t let you go to your room.”

I thought about it, remembered the close proximity of the phone and made a decision, “If I can’t have any pills then I will stay here and take shots.”

The nurse left to get the shot and the Corporal remarked, “I will tell Colonel Maggie that you’re still not able to return to your room.”

He left and I decided to make those calls to my friends. I was disappointed this time when I had to stand in line.

Colonel Maggie walked up and asked, “Jack, what’s this I hear about you still needing shots for the pain?’

I replied, “Sorry Sir! But that’s correct, the pain is still severe and I can’t have any more pills for the pain.”

Colonel Maggie asked a hell of a question, “Well Jack, perhaps if you would rest instead of standing in line for the phone you would feel better.”

I explained, “Sir! I was going to call a couple of retired Marines and ask them to keep an eye on Masha for me.”

Colonel Maggie went into ‘officer mode’ and scolded me, “Sgt. Reynolds, didn’t I tell you I was taking care of this.”

She paused and I realized it wasn’t a rhetorical question so I replied, “Yes Sir! You did but...”

Colonel Maggie interrupted, “ ... Sgt. Reynolds, there are no buts. I’ve already made the phone calls. Your cute young wife isn’t going to have any more problems with those damn teenagers.”

I asked, “Sir! What did you do?”

She laughed and replied, “Jack, I called in the ‘big guns’. The city relies on income from the base so I had the base commander call the local police department and give them a load of shit about what happened to Masha. He told them that if they didn’t get their heads out of their asses that all passes would be suspended. The chief of police promised to have patrols stationed at your house twenty four hours a day and also swore he would make sure none of the teenagers were released from jail until after the trial. So how about you get your ass back to bed so we can get you off the shots for pain.”

I saluted and said, “Yes Sir!”

She laughed again and replied, “It’s good to see you feeling better. Now I need to go and check on Sgt. Blaine since he should be arriving soon.”

I went back to my bed, but still had some concern for Masha...

Flashback – Masha – Bedtime

We had a very nice meal but I still couldn’t help feeling guilty for killing the teenage hooligan girl. Everyone tried their best to cheer my feelings but I was still sad. The policemen were the first to leave but not before they informed me, “Thank you very much for the meal. Ms. Reynolds, we would like to inform you that your husband’s officer in Iraq has arranged for a patrol car to be stationed in front of your house twenty four hours a day until after the trial is over. We will make sure that you have no further problems with the teenage gang.”

I forced a smile and thanked him, “Thank you very much for your concern.”

They apologized, “No Ms. it’s our fault for letting it happen in the first place. Now we’re going to take up our position for the night.”

Brenda and Gwen were the next, “Masha, thank you again for welcoming us into your lovely home, but we need to get home to prepare for work tomorrow.”

They left with their children then Michael said, “Masha thanks for all you’ve done for Louise and this community, but I also need to leave.”

Louise said, “Well Masha, it’s time for us to get ready for bed.”

I was thankful that Louise and Linda were again spending the night. Even with the police in front of the house, I didn’t want to be alone tonight.

Before we began to get ready for bed Louise suggested, “Masha why don’t we finish the open bottle of wine.”

We finished the wine, got ready for bed (with the same sleeping arrangements as last night) and this time I thankfully fell asleep...

Flashback – Glen – At the base

I couldn’t shake the feeling that I had made a huge mistake and possibly over reacted putting Jennifer in the military school. Daniela had made a great meal again tonight, but I wasn’t hungry and picked at the food.

Daniela said, “Señor, do not worry about Señorita Jennifer, I am certain that she is fine. Besides I gave her a little help.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.