08 Together
Chapter 65

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Present – Liz and Bernie – After the meeting

I decide that Bernie’s correct (and no I’m not putting this in writing) and I don’t want to endanger our baby. I pick up my mobile phone and call Samantha. When she answers the phone I can barely hear her because of all the noise so I ask, “Sam, what’s going on?”

Sam simply says, “Sorry Liz, we’re on our way to a story right now and I can’t talk.”

She hangs up the phone so I look at Bernie and say, “Bernie, Sam’s already heading to a story so that only leaves me to handle Ben’s story.”

Bernie puts his foot down, “Liz, there’s no way I’m letting you cover this story...”

I shush him, “ ... Bernie don’t worry, I guess we will miss this one.”

Present – Thom – Leaving the cabin.

I hate like hell to leave this place: It’s been nice living in the cabin and not even half bad living in the tunnels. Hell, I’ve never eaten better in my life than feasting on Mabel’s cooking - yeah I’m going to miss this place but Jennifer is intent on me leaving. I sadly pack up all my shit, start to leave the cabin when my TSIFFTS mobile phone rings. I answer it and I’m surprised at what I’m told because this could go a long way in smoothing things over with Jennifer. I heard the announcement earlier for the team meeting so I slip back to my room, stow my bag and head for the meeting. I arrive at the meeting room but it’s empty except for Liz and Bernie. I walk up and ask, “Do you know where Jennifer is?”

Liz glares at me, which tells me that Jennifer told her about Inga and then verifies that assumption when she says, “Thom, we thought that you were fired from the team for what you did to Inga.”

I shrug my shoulders in a nonchalant manner and say, “No problem, I guess you all don’t want to know where Ben is.”

Liz practically falls off her seat and exclaims, “What the hell, how do you know?”

I play it cagey by answering, “Oh no, I’m not telling you so you can take all the glory. If you don’t tell me where Jennifer is, then I’m leaving without telling anyone.”

Liz bites her lip and says, “I think Jens and Linus are in the equipment room getting ready for a mission.”

Damn that last phrase has me worried since perhaps the TSIFFTS also called Linus. If so my plans of getting back in Jennifer’s good graces might be torpedoed. I hightail it to the equipment room, arrive and note it’s a flurry of activity. Linus and Jennifer are gearing up all the security forces. I saunter into the room, Jennifer sees me and explodes, “Thom, what in the heck are you still doing here...”

I interrupt before she can get up a full head of steam, “ ... Jennifer, I thought you might want to know where Ben is.”

Jennifer remarks, “Thom if you know tell us.”

I thought about having her grovel some but decide not to make her beg so I continue, “We got lucky. A TSIFFTS chopper was at the Leadville airport when Stacy Summers’ team arrived and apparently Ben contacted Stacy for help in taking down the sex traffickers. The Summers’ chopper wasn’t big enough to haul their whole team so the team leader told our pilot what was happening. He was more than happy to fly the rest of Stacy Summers’ team to Ben’s location.”

Jennifer practically jumps up and down with joy and berates the security team for not getting ready faster.

I push my luck a little when I suggest, “Look Jennifer, we might have had some differences, but if you’re going on a mission, I would sure love to help.”

Linus overhears my request, looks at Jennifer and suggests, “Jens, Thom’s an experienced operator and we could use the help.”

Jennifer looks at me and says, “Okay Thom, you’re temporarily forgiven. But after the mission, we need to sit down and have a serious talk.”

I begin to gear up and Jennifer asks...

Present – Jens – The equipment room

We continue to prepare for the mission, then I think of something, stop and shout, “Son of a sea biscuit! Thom please tell me there’s another TSIFFTS chopper at the Leadville airport that can take us to Ben’s location.”

Thom looks at me and admits, “Sorry Jennifer, it was a fluke that the one chopper was there.”

I switch my gaze between Linus and Thom and ask, “How long would it take to get another chopper here?”

Thom says, “Probably too long.”

Linus agrees, “Yeah, by the time a chopper gets here the mission would probably be over.”

I get another idea and almost plead, “Linus, since you and the Sheriff seem to be on such good terms, could you ask if he would escort us down the mountain and into Denver with a patrol car?”

Linus asks for clarification, “I assume you mean with lights and sirens?”

I nod and Linus leaves to make the phone call.

Thom comes over closer and even though I’m still angry with him, he did give me the information to find Ben. He honestly asks, “Jennifer, do we have a mission plan?”

I want to glare at him but I soften it some and answer, “Thom, we have no idea what we’re walking into. Without that information, there’s no way to create a mission plan.”

Thom provides more information, “The chopper pilot said Stacy’s team was going in not just heavy, but very heavy. It makes me believe that this is some serious shit, especially for such a green team. When we get back, I would love to help you train them better.”

I begin to reply, when Linus comes back into the equipment room and I can’t believe what he tells me...

Present – Stacy and Samantha – heading to Denver

We’re halfway to Denver when my mobile phone rings and I see it’s Ben’s number. I shake as I answer it, and Ben simply announces, “Stacy, there’s no sense in coming - it’s all over.”

I stutter, “But ... but ... but, I thought you needed a team?”

Ben laughs and my heart flutters, then he says, “Well, we ended up with a rag-tag team of sorts. There’s nothing left here except for cleaning up the mess.”

I request, “Ben give me a minute.”

I mute the phone, look at Bill and give him the news, “Bill, Ben says they took care of the sex traffickers and all that’s left is cleaning up. Do you think that we could help with that?”

Bill smiles and replies, “That’s your call Ms. Summers.”

I unmute the phone and tell Ben, “Ben, we’re still coming to help with the cleanup.”

Ben worries me when he says, “I hope you all have strong stomachs because you’re going to need them.”

Samantha asks...

I look at Stacy and ask, “Stacy, did he say it’s all over and we’re too late?”

Stacy smiles and says, “Yes, I guess Ben and some mystery team took care of all the sex traffickers.” I bite my lip and add, “He did say we needed to have strong stomachs so I’m not sure what he meant.”

Bill interjects, “Ms. Summers, if it’s anything like what I saw in the Leadville building, I would highly caution you about viewing it.”

I reply, “Well even if we’re late it sounds like there’s still a story for us. If it’s as bad as Ben implied, I’m not sure how much can be aired.”

I motion to John, he brings up the camera and I begin my report...

Present – Ben and Destiny – The aftermath

After opening the door to the sex trafficker’s prison, I back out and call Sheriff Jim and say, “Jim, it’s all over except for the cleanup and that could take some time.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.