08 Together - Cover

08 Together

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 43

Present – Glen – get out of jail not so free

I am finally out of that fucking jail, I have my mobile phone back and I really hate to make the call I need to make. I make the call, relay the facts as I know them and then hang up my phone.

I hate like hell to do this but it's my responsibility.

Now to find that fucking, bastard, son of a bitch-in-law and kill his ass! I can't believe he married my Jennifer when he had already gotten Miranda pregnant!

Present – Liz and Bernie – back in Leadville

I'm hungry and Bernie is going to call for room service as my mobile phone rings. I look at it, see who it is and swear, "Dammit to hell! What now!"

Bernie gives me a questioning look and I say, "It's Jens calling again. Bernie, what do I say if she found out about her mother and Megan?"

Bernie doesn't help at all on this since he shrugs his shoulders and answers, "Liz, I don't have any idea what to tell her."

Thank God that in the time our conversation takes, Jens gives up and the phone stops ringing. However it doesn't take long for me to get the dreaded chime indicating a voicemail. I look at Bernie and say, "Well, I'd better see what sort of voicemail she left."

My worst fears are confirmed when I hear, "Liz, this is Jens again. What in the fricken-fracken heck is going on back there? I just found out that both my mother and Megan are dead and Samantha did a report on them. Don't you think you should have fricken-fracken called me and told me?"

I feel both pain and embarrassment as I have let down my best friend. Bernie must read my face because he says...

Hell! From the pained look on Liz's face, I would swear she is going to have our baby right now. She had put the voicemail on speaker phone so I heard it. I remember back to her previous phone calls, come up with a possible solution and ask her, "Hey Liz, didn't you tell Ben about the report Samantha did?"

I watch her thinking and she excitedly remarks, "Bernie, you're right, I did..."

I interrupt, " ... Then Liz, why the hell didn't he talk to Jens about this before she called you and chewed your ass?"

Liz grins and says, "Bernie, you're right! Why the hell didn't Ben handle this?"

My phone rings again, I look at it, and of course it's Jens. I answer and immediately ask, "Jens, I'm not hiding as much from you as your new husband Ben is. He knew about this the whole time and he was the one who decided not to tell you until the honeymoon was over."

Jens fierily answers, "Liz don't you dare try to dodge the bullet that you have coming. As my best friend you should have told me when we talked earlier. After I found out about it, Ben told me all about it and I understood until..."

I about passed out with what she told me next and it started a hell of a fight...

Present – Stacy and Samantha – at the building

Sally notices me watching Samantha as she finishes off the rest of the Chex Mix and comments, "You look deep in thought."

I chuckle a little and reply, "Yeah, I was remembering when I could eat anything I wanted like Samantha is doing right now and never gain any weight. I sort of miss those days."

Sally asks, "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

I glance at her and say, "Sure as long as it's not about..."

Sally interrupts, " ... Stacy, I already know not to talk to you about the wedding. This is something else, but more than a little personal."

Sally has piqued my interest so I say, "Sure, but if I don't like it, I'm not going to reply."

Sally takes a deep breath then says, "That's fine by me. First Stacy, I would like to say the interview you did about having the abortion took a lot of guts and I admire you for it and I do feel it was the right thing to do with the circumstances involved. So here's my problem: I bet before you were pregnant, you had no problems with your weight."

I blink a couple times and slowly answer, "How did you know?"

Sally says, "Stacy, you're probably suffering from Post Abortion Stress Syndrome, it happens to many women after an abortion. You should probably see a counselor for it since sometimes feelings about the abortion cause eating problems. Oh, and sometimes your body's hormones don't return to normal so you might want to get that checked too."

I thank Sally, "Thanks, but how do you know about this?"

She smiles sadly and answers, "Some of us have been there and done that."

I am surprised that Sally would share that with me...

Stacy and Sally look like they're having a huge conversation - it's great to see Stacy making new friends. I worry that she doesn't have many friends, but I realize why - when you have money, many people will be your 'friend' in hopes you will part with some of your money and give it to them. I think about my actions with Stacy and I worry she might feel that way about me.

I walk over beside the two of them and say, "Stacy, thank you for everything you've done for me. I hope you don't feel I've taken advantage of you."

Stacy laughs and replies, "Samantha, you would know if I ever felt that way. Sally was just telling me I should get a medical check-up and possibly some more counseling for my abortion. I was so jealous watching you finish off the Chex Mix and remembered when I could do that without gaining weight. Sally says it's a common thing to have weight problems after an abortion."

I volunteer, "Stacy, I will research this for you if you wish?

Stacy waves her hand in dismissal and says, "Don't worry about it Samantha, I can do the research."

I realize she's protecting me from my dyslexia and I'm thankful for it. So far I've been able to hide it from everyone and I sure want to keep it that way.

Sally finishes with Stacy and says, "Thanks for letting me see your building. I am very impressed that you've kept all the important brewery equipment in the building and have worked around it. I sure hope you consider reopening the brewery since not only would it be good for the town, it will send a positive message to all the townsfolk who resent you for purchasing the old brewery."

Stacy's face shows concern as she answers, "Sally, I sure hope that you tell everyone I have no plan on destroying this historic building, and if it makes financial ... no that's just not right! Even if it doesn't make financial sense, I think we need to reopen this brewery. I just hope that we can still use this building for my needs."

Sally affirms, "Stacy that would be wise and would endear you to the town. And if you don't have room enough for both the brewery and your other needs, there are several other buildings which I will make sure you can purchase at a bargain price."

Stacy shakes Sally's hand and says, "Have a good trip back to your beauty shop, Sam and I will see you bright and early tomorrow at eight."

Sally laughs and says, "Stacy, I wake up with the roosters so don't worry, I will be there."

Sally leaves, I look at Stacy and ask, "So it looks like you and Sally really bonded.

Stacy answers, "Don't worry Sam, you and I will always be BFFs. But having Sally as an ally is important for me."

I knew Stacy wanted the locals on her side, but I wasn't sure it was so important so I ask, "Stacy, why is it so important to you?

Stacy smiles and answers, "Sam, Leadville is such a great little town that I'm moving almost all my operations here."

I ask, "What about the places you own in other locations?"

Stacy wisely answers, "Grandmamma taught me that property is one of the best investments you can have. If you knew what she paid for our existing properties, and what they are worth now, you would understand. I have no problem at all if the brewery consumes this entire building, as I assume it will, because I will just purchase a new headquarters in Leadville."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.