08 Together - Cover

08 Together

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 26

Flashback – Ben and Jack – The trip to hell ... Ramadi

We finally made it through Fallujah and I assumed I would have a breather, but once again I assumed incorrectly. If anything the fighting was worse than ever and the fuckers were further away which made them harder to hit. I glanced at my ammo, realized I was almost out and yelled, "Jack, I need more ammo!"

I didn't hear anything (not that I could hear much with all the shit that was going on) so I ducked inside and saw that Jack was passed out on top of the other gunner. I yelled at the driver, "When the hell did Jack pass out?"

He yelled back, "The fuck if I know! I've been busy driving this piece of shit!"

I replied, "I'm almost out so I'm grabbing more ammo."

The driver answered, "You're doing a hell of a job so don't take too long."

I moved Jack and the injured gunner out of the way, headed to the back, grabbed four ammo boxes for Ma Deuce and headed back to the gunner position. This time I was smarter and slowly slipped my head up while some rounds danced off the front shield. I saw where they came from, rose up and blasted the hell out of them with the last few rounds in Ma Deuce. The slide locked back so I knew I was out.

I ducked back inside grabbed a can of ammo, came back up and changed it as fast as I could then I was back in business...

I woke up and swore, "What fucking bus hit me?"

Then I remembered that Banzai nailed me with a morphine shot. I looked down saw I was covered in blood and feared the worst. Then I realized I was lying on top of the bloody injured gunner. I moved to the side and began to put pressure dressings on his wounds and yelled at the driver, "If we don't get your gunner to a hospital soon, it's going to be too late."

Banzai somehow heard me because he ducked inside and said, "Jack, you take over Ma Deuce for a few minutes and I will start an IV for the gunner."

I complained, "I hope like hell I don't have to change any ammo cans."

Banzai informed me, "You have a fresh can in Ma Deuce so you should be fine until I can take over. Here are the hearing protectors now move your ass!"

I normally didn't care much for a Ma Deuce, but firing this one while more than half stoned from the pills and the morphine Banzai gave me, was sort of fun. Then Banzai yelled at me, "Jack, don't burn out the barrel in this Ma Deuce, it's the last one we have."

I somehow heard the driver yell, "I hope you get that IV in soon so you can get back on the Ma Deuce 'cause your partner ain't worth shit as a gunner. He's hitting everything except the fuckers - hell he's even hitting our other vehicles."

I felt Banzai touch my leg, I jumped like crazy and he yelled, "Jack let's switch..."

It took me a bit longer working on the other gunner than I wanted because I decided to change out the exterior ceramic plates in my body armor. I was glad I took the time because the outer of the two plates I had in the carrier were pulverized and soon they would have been cutting into me - uncomfortable as hell!

I switched with Jack and ordered, "Make sure you keep a new IV bag running on the gunner." I grabbed the hearing protectors, got back on Ma Deuce and shot the hell out of everything...

Flashback – Masha – child care

Where did all the time go? I looked at my watch and realized I would need to practically run to make it to the market for lunch with Louise. I hadn't yet prepared myself for the trip because I was busy teaching Linda some new words. She was such a smart and good girl, it made me wish that Jack and I already had a baby.

I quickly changed myself and Linda (it was shocking how dirty a child could become) put her in the stroller, brought the diaper bag and departed at a more rapid rate than normal so I would not be late. Things were going fine, I knew I would be on time and then the police car I normally saw in the area, pulled to the edge of the sidewalk and turned on its lights. I had never interfaced with American police so I did not know what to expect. I only hoped the money I brought with me was enough for the bribe I expected to be forced to pay because I would not pay the bribe with my body! I was a married woman and we never did such debased things!

The police officer smiled at me (which in Russia was not a good sign) and asked, "Good day Ma'am, we stopped you because this is the first time we have noticed you with a baby. And this baby looks too old for you to have just delivered her."

I pulled out my green card, handed it to the officer and explained, "This is a friend of mine's daughter who I watch while she works. I am currently on route to the market where her mother works so we can eat lunch together."

The police officer looked at my green card and asked, "So you are from Russia? However, you speak English very well."

I wanted to tell him that he was an idiot but I held my anger and answered, "Yes, I am from Russia - my husband Jack Reynolds is a Sgt. in the Marines and is currently deployed to Iraq."

He tapped my green card against the clipboard he carried and stated, "Hey, I think I remember seeing your wedding in Russia, wasn't it televised?"

I had no idea if it was true so I resorted to a tactic commonly used by a Russian citizen dealing with the police and created a lie, "Yes, it was televised so perhaps you did see me on television." Then I apologized, "I'm sorry I look so terrible right now but I was playing with Linda and time got away from me so I didn't prepare myself as I normally would."

The police officer laughed and stated, "Hell, you look better than any of the American women we see. At least you aren't wearing dirty workout clothes. But my partner and I wonder why you always walk to the market?"

I faked a smile and answered, "We have a car, but I do not have a driver's license." I of course did not tell him I let Louise borrow the car because I learned in Russia the less information you gave to the police the better the results will be.

He handed back my green card, then handed me a business card and said, "We always patrol this area, so if you should have any problems feel free to call us."

I glanced at my watch, noticed how late the time was and requested, "I hate to bother you officer, but because you detained me I will be late for lunch..."

He laughed and interrupted, " ... don't worry, we will gladly take you to the market."

He opened the rear door of the police car, I hesitantly climbed in with Linda and the police officer placed the stroller in the trunk. I was nervous as they drove me to the market because in Russia the police were certainly not your friends...

Flashback – Jennifer and Glen – trying to solve a huge problem

Olga, my ballet teacher, had just weighed me, appraised my overall condition and told me I wasn't overweight. Then she started to write a note to mother - which I hoped mother would for once accept. However I was shocked when Daddy walked into the ballet school, looked at me and said, "Jennifer, we need to talk."

I figured Daddy would have come to get me from the school but it would be much later. I walked over, could see the obvious pain on his face and asked, "Daddy, what the heck is wrong? You look really sick. Don't tell me you ate more of mother's cooking."

Daddy gave me a very pained smile and answered, "Jennifer, I hate to tell you this, but when I brought home the housekeeper, Evelyn went on a rampage and left."

I blinked a few times, tried to figure out what Daddy meant but I couldn't exactly decide what he really said so I asked, "Daddy, what do you mean mother left?"

Daddy looked at the ground, shook his head and answered, "Jennifer, your mother has run away from home – she has left us."

I stuttered, "I ... I ... I ... don't understand. Where did she go and what will she do?"

Daddy looked at me and answered, "Jennifer, I am sorry for causing this. I have no idea where she will go, perhaps back to live with her mother like she has always threatened in the past. But for right now, it's just you, me and the housekeeper."

I thought about what Daddy had told me and had very mixed emotions: On one hand mother wouldn't be making us sick any longer; but on the other hand she deserted us. I was embarrassed as some tears snuck out of my eyes.

Daddy saw them and said, "Come on now my little princess, don't cry - I will take care of you."

Daddy always knew what to say but just because it was my job I got a little angry, stamped my foot and complained, "Daddy I am not a princess..."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.