08 Together
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Flashback – Captain M – Sgt. Reynolds' MRI

I continued to ponder the question of how Sgt. Blaine could drop so much money on a rifle, then it came to me: He was either running or dealing drugs - that had to be the answer. I quickly came up with a plan then watched through the window as Sgt. Reynolds entered the MRI machine and knew that I had to take care of the results of his MRI before I could accomplish anything else. A nurse came out of the MRI control room so I stopped her and asked, "I need to get these two men to Ramadi as soon as possible. If you could tell me who usually reads the MRIs then I could go and talk with them and ask them to prioritize the results."

She smiled at me and answered, "We are so far behind at this time, the technician takes the first look at the MRI and if he notices anything then it's forwarded to one of the radiologists."

I return her smile and clarify, "So you're referring to the technician that's currently performing the MRI? Isn't that a bit strange?"

I guess she is touchy about my question because she glares at me and responds, "Yes, whichever technician runs the test also does the first analysis. By the way, I am one of those technicians and I see more than fifty MRIs each day so that should make me qualified."

I hold up my hands and apologize, "Sorry, I don't mean to offend you, I am just in a hurry to get my men to Ramadi. So who is the technician running the test on my men?"

She accepts my apology and her reply practically sparkles, "That's Steve - and he's one of the best!"

From the way she talks about Steve I can tell that they have something going on so I motion her closer and ask, "How long has it been since the two of you have had some down time?"

She answers, "It's been months, but we are just too busy to be given any down time."

That's what I assumed, now I have a complete plan and I just need to execute it...

Flashback – Ben – Sgt. Reynolds' MRI

The technician running the MRI machine calls on the intercom which is loud enough I can hear even with my ear protectors on (and because my hearing has greatly improved), "Sgt. Blaine, the Captain needs you outside the room and said it's an order."

Hells Bells, what the fuck is wrong? I hate to leave Jack but I look back through the windows and Captain M is motioning to me and reinforces it by pointing to his Captain's bars. I leave the MRI room, hand the technician my ear protectors, walk out into the hallway and Captain M advises, "Sgt. Blaine, I had something come up and I need to take immediate care of it. So I will not be able to watch your rifle."

I give him a serious look and since I have worked with him for so long it's enough to not like what I see. The bastard is hiding something! I boldly ask, "Would this be approved by the Colonel?"

He laughs and says, "Let's see - I'm a Captain and you're a Sgt., so I don't have to answer that question. You should be happy I just didn't leave your rifle here unattended."

I backpedal and reply, "Yes Sir! I am thankful for that however..."

The Captain interrupts, " ... Sgt. there is no how- fucking- ever! I am leaving and will return in about thirty minutes. You and Sgt. Reynolds are to remain here until I return and that is an order."

I throw the Captain a half-assed salute and even click my heels together like a fucking Nazi, but he ignores both actions and leaves. What in the hell is he doing? I dwell on calling Colonel Maggie, consider it for a few minutes and decide it's not worth the bother. Whatever he's doing can't be that bad...

Flashback – Captain M – Sgt. Reynolds' MRI

If I had any hope my plan would work, I needed to play my cards just right and I'm a hell of a poker player so I had faith in my skills. I located the commander's office, looked at his name and knew I had practically 'had it made' - one of my good Army friends went to WestPoint with him.

I walked into the office and asked his aide, "Is Colonel Casper P Jones III here?"

His aide gave me one look and asked, "Who are you Captain?"

I answered, "One of my best friends went to WestPoint with the Colonel and he told me if I ever got the chance I should say hello."

He picked up the phone, buzzed Colonel Jones, relayed my message, hung up the phone and said, "Please go right in, the Colonel can give you five minutes."

I replied, "Thank you."

I walked into the office, the Colonel was sitting behind his desk so I stood at attention and saluted.

He looked at me laughed and said, "Captain this is a CSH and we don't stand on formality around here, at ease. So you're a good friend of Hank, how the hell is he doing?"

I shook my head and lied (because I had no real idea how the hell Hank was doing), "Not well, he was on a mission, got separated from his men and was seriously wounded."

Colonel Jones gave me a peculiar look, then frowned and said, "Captain, you might be a friend of Hank's, however I know for a fact he was never wounded because we e-mailed just last week. So why the hell are you wasting my time?"

Shit! I guess my bullshit didn't work with him so I decided to give him the truth. I said, "Colonel, you're right that Hank wasn't wounded but I am his friend, you can even ask him. Now to be truthful with you, I have a Colonel riding my ass to get my sniper team to Ramadi and I hoped that I could get a weekend pass for a couple of the MRI technicians to – well, sort of grease the wheels for the results. By the way, I was shocked when I was informed they hadn't had any down time for months!"

I knew the last statement would cause Colonel Jones some concern. He smiled at me and said, "You know, looking at you better, I think I remember Hank telling me about you and saying that you saved his ass once. Hell, if you did save his ass then I guess a couple weekend passes for some of my overworked MRI technicians isn't much to ask. However, make sure that you don't pull this bullshit on me again because it was pathetic."

He wrote out a couple of weekend passes, handed them to me and said, "Once again, don't ever try to pull this shit on me again."

I assured him (of course with a lie), "Yes Sir! I know when I am beaten."

He handed me the passes, I headed back to the MRI area and hoped I was in time...

Flashback – Ben and Jack – Sgt. Reynolds' MRI

Jack finally came out of the MRI room, looked at me and asked, "Where the hell did you go?"

I gave him a guilty look and said, "Sorry Jack, Captain fucking M told me he had something to do and couldn't watch my rifle. So I was forced to stand and watch it from out here."

Jack, who was back on the gurney and strapped down, motioned me closer and replied, "Don't worry about it Banzai. The only problem was I fell asleep on the MRI table, jerked like I sometimes do when I fall asleep and ruined the MRI so they had to run it again."

I laughed and filled in the blanks, "Jack, that is called a hypnic jerk1 and you do that every time you fall asleep! I am surprised Masha hasn't given you shit about it."

1 hypnic jerk - is an involuntary twitch which occurs just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing them to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled.

Jack laughed and replied, "Hell Banzai, something is certainly wrong if you know more about my sleep habits than my wife."

I continued the levity and laughed, "Hey Jack, it's no surprise because I've slept with you more than she has. Hell, you two haven't even been married a year but we've been partners forever."

Jack began to reminisce, "Hell yeah, I remember when I first chose you for my sniper..."

I interrupted and corrected him, " ... Jack you old fart, stop changing the past! You know very well that I chose you for my spotter when no one else would take you."

Jack chuckled, "Banzai, I hate to tell you..."

He stopped because the MRI technician came out of the MRI room and announced, "Well, Sgt. Reynolds, you're not going anywhere soon..."

We began to question the MRI technician when Captain – fucking – M arrived, looked at the MRI technician and ordered, "I need a few moments with you." Then he pulled him back into the MRI control room and they began to have a very animated discussion...

I looked at Jack and asked, "What the hell is going on?"

Jack replied, "Banzai, I know my body and my back is thoroughly fucked. My guess is we're being 'railroaded'."

I asked, "Jack, should I call Colonel Maggie?"

Jack shook his head and answered, "Hell no Banzai! If I can't go on my mission then I will be sent home and I won't make enough on my retirement to support the two of us. By the way since I'm thinking about it, what the hell did you mean when you said you covered my ass with Masha?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.