The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

Diana had not wanted to show any anxiety or worry about telling her parents of her engagement but she was concerned nevertheless. They had been hurt when Garry was killed that she had not wanted to come home. She was also very conscious of the fact that neither of them had seen much of them once they were married. She had, she thought, explained it away that being stationed in Germany and then at Tidworth plus Garry's tours to Iraq and Afghanistan had made it impossible for her to visit on a tight budget. She had to admit to herself that she was no more than lingeringly fond of them and that she had joined the army and subsequently married Garry to get away from her tiny room and parents that lived together but whose love appeared to be little more than routine. The thought of sharing her dilemma with Hal, whose family were so close, frightened her.

She did her duty at breakfast and did her best to appear cheerful. It seemed to work with Nick and Helen but Hal quickly registered that she was not herself.

He lingered becoming slightly exasperated that Helen did so too. She wanted to talk weddings but finally realised that Hal and Diana wanted time on their own.

"Tell me, Diana," he said taking her hands.

She did, despite her earlier fears, trusting in his love for and understanding of her.

She was right.

"Oh, Diana love, we were all so thrilled and enthusiastic yesterday evening that we bounced you. I'm sorry because I pushed you too. It's entirely up to you. If you want to give them a miss I'll understand but, with my family background, I'd really like to meet them and have them involved with us and our children."

Diana bit her lip. "I'm being pretty wet, aren't I?" she managed to get out.

"No, understandably cautious." He smiled. "I'm not being a pompous ass either."

A flicker of amusement crossed her face before she snatched her hands away and her arms went round him. "I'll have a go," she said. "Keep your fingers crossed and now give me a kiss."

He did, one of the warm gentle ones. "I must go," he said, "or Dad'll be after me. Love you."

It was her turn to pull his head down and return his kiss. "Off you go, Sonny Jim."

She rang her parents that evening as soon as Hal got in and could be with her. Her mother answered the phone.

"Hi, Mum. It's me, Diana."

"Oh, hello." It was flat and not at all encouraging. Hal squeezed the hand he was holding.

"The reason I've rung, Mum, is to tell you that I'm engaged to be married again."

"Oh, well that's nice for you."

"His name's Hal Downsman and he'd like to come up and meet you."

"That's a turn up for the books. Different to Garry."

"Yes, Mum. His family are farmers and family means a lot to them."

"So?"

"He hopes that you and Dad will become involved with us and our kids."

"Don't tell me you're pregnant."

"No, Mum, but I've had a scan and they can't find anything wrong."

"Hmm."

She ploughed on. "We'd like to come up Friday fortnight and come and see you both on Saturday."

"It'll have to be the morning. Your Dad'll be off to the football in the afternoon."

Hal gave Diana a thumbs - up and nodded encouragingly.

"OK, Mum, about ten?"

"All right." It still sounded grudging but they had achieved their aim.

"Great, Mum! See you then. Love to Dad!"

She switched off the phone and turned into Hal's arms. He held her silently.

She looked up. "All right?" she whispered.

"Very! Well done, my brave darling!"

"Oh, Hal!" She hugged him tightly. "It still may not work. All that way and a load of petrol not to mention the cost of a motel."

He shrugged. "It'll be worth it if it does work though AND if my maths are right the pill will be working by that Friday."

Her eyes lit up. "It will! It will! Oh, Hal!"

Her arms tightened round him again.

"Actually it'll be working from Tuesday week."

Hal nodded and looked slightly shame-faced. "I ... I ... don't want to bounce the parents."

Diana smiled lovingly at him. "My ever sweet and considerate Hal," she said softly. "They know it's going to happen, my love. Why didn't I wait to take it until after we'd become engaged or just a month before the wedding?"

"I ... I..."

"You've never done it before have you, my sweet?"

He shook his head.

"Have you touched a girl's fanny?"

He shook his head again.

"Oh, my Hal! I shall be your teacher and love every minute of it and you'll become the world's greatest lover."

Hal smiled. "I already am. No one could love you more than I do."

"Oh, Hal! My sweet, gentle, darling Hal. Same here."

Hal looked slightly surprised.

"Yes, Hal. I loved Garry and he loved me but he never cared for me and felt my worries and emotions like you do. You are a very, very special man and I'm a very, very lucky girl. Kiss?"

Hal nodded. It started as a warm gentle one that grew in intensity and went on until both were breathless.

Diana pulled back. "Ooph!" she panted. "What are you going to do to me when you move from my mouth?"

Hal coloured but smiled. "Take you to Heaven and back?"

"Cheeky!" Her smile took away any criticism and she maintained the teasing. "But you haven't had a shower yet and you pong. Off you go, young man."

"Yes, ma'am!"

"That's more like it."

They both exploded with happy laughter which meant another, albeit shorter and less passionate, kiss.

Helen did indeed corner Diana to talk about the wedding. Both were in agreement. A big and expensive affair was inappropriate for a second wedding. Diana's parents could not afford to put anything towards it and Helen and Nick needed to keep the money they had put aside for Jilly.

"With the generous amount you're paying me, my little widow's pension and the grand that Garry left me I ought to be able to manage the fees and then Hal and I between us ought to be able to manage food and drink for a couple of dozen people," Diana said.

"Oh, Diana sweety, we'd like to contribute something."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.