The Farm Legacy
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Helen and Nick had really told all about their holiday in the car on the way back from the airport but there were the photographs still to see so that took half an hour after which Diana had supper to prepare. Helen followed her out to the kitchen and asked her how everything had happened. A rather emotional Diana told her. Helen became pretty emotional too.

"In some ways it's a huge relief," Diana ended up. "Of course I will always remember Garry with love but now I feel free of the misery his death caused and as for my sweet, shy Hal, a real friendship has developed into a deep love. He really is very special."

That was when the dam burst. She clung to Helen as the tears of emotional release poured. Helen held her stroking her back but saying nothing. She was thrilled for both of them, especially Hal, but Diana's fertility and the de Laix legacy were on her mind. Diana gave her no time to worry.

She pulled herself together and disengaged. "Thank you, Helen, for being such a comfort but I suspect you're a bit worried about whether I can give Hal a son." She told Helen the full truth about having no children and Helen thanked her.

"That's not enough though," she went on. "I'm seeing the doctor on Tuesday to discuss it all and we'll take it from there."

Helen squeezed her hands. "You are special, Diana dear. I thought so right from the initial interview and you just go on proving me right. Bless you, I'm going to be very proud of my daughter in law as well as loving her."

In the sitting room, naturally enough, the conversation was not about falling in love. Instead Nick asked about what had happened during the week. Hal told him and Nick nodded contentedly.

"There's still a couple of fields this side of the river but a drive along them showed them to be OK although the bushes along the old railway line need cutting back or they'll do some damage in the coming year. I reckon everything the other side of the river is in good nick although the bushes along the old railway line, after it's crossed the river, beside the downland meadow need trimming."

"And you've moved the Romneys into the maternity ward? How long'll that last?"

"Couple of weeks at a guess. We haven't had a frost yet but I think we need to start thinking about winter feed then."

"So do I. Um, Hal, I don't want to dent your happiness but is Diana going to be able to give you a son?"

Hal told him what Diana had told him about Garry and about the doctor's appointment on Tuesday. "We'll just have to take it from there, Dad. If she needs IVF treatment so be it. If the NHS is too slow I'll have to look at my savings with a view to going private."

"I hope that's not necessary, son, but if it is I'll contribute."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Right! I think it's time we all had a drink."

"Good thinking, Dad!"

Helen and Nick watched with smiles on their faces as Hal and Diana were reunited after three quarters of an hour. They touched hands and smiled at each other.

"Dad's got a treat for you."

"Ooh! Ooh!"

"Lemonade and lime with lots and lots of ice."

There was a momentary pause before they both burst into laughter and fell into each other's arms.

"I could probably do better than that," grinned Nick.

"Damn!" said Diana. "He's married."

She stuck the tip of her tongue out at Hal who just folded her in his arms to laughter from his parents.

"How does gin and tonic sound?"

"Great!"

"It shall be. Hal?"

"I'll stick to light ale, thanks, Dad."

"Help yourself then."

After a delicious and laughter filled supper Hal's parents retired to bed. Hal and Diana had soon cleared up and went and sat together entwined on the sofa.

"Diana, will you marry me?"

She looked at him solemnly. "Do you really mean that, Hal darling?"

"Yes. If IVF is necessary Dad's offered to help out if we have to go private."

"Oh wow! But sweetheart, what if I am barren and can't give you a son?"

"We'll adopt."

"Does the legacy cover that?"

"I think so. I sneaked a look at it and it just said 'Thomas Downsman and his heirs.' No mention of their sex and, I looked it up on the internet, an adoptee can be an heir as long as the adoptive parents say so."

"Hal, darling, I so want to say 'yes' but I'd like to wait and see what the doctor says."

Hal's brow clouded for a moment. "OK but whatever the doctor says I want you to be my wife."

"So do I, my Hal, so do I but..."

He ended the conversation by kissing her which, even though she said nothing, reduced the strength of the 'but' considerably.

Diana combined her visit to the doctor with her routine shopping. She saw a pleasant, female doctor in her mid-forties who was sympathetic and understanding. Nevertheless her first reaction was for Diana to resume unprotected sex and see what happened.

Diana explained the situation. "I've no doubt that he will marry me whether I can give him children or not but if we're successful and I have a child six months after marrying him there would be gossip and, Dr Evans, I can't do that to him. His family are the village. They've been there for over five hundred years. I can't risk any sort of scandal that would destroy their standing there."

"Oh! Well in that case I'll refer you for a transvaginal ultrasound scan at the hospital. That will check your ovaries, fallopian tubes and womb. It's not painful and doesn't last long. The only thing is that it will probably take three or four weeks to get an appointment."

"Not a problem. Thanks."

Diana separately told Helen and Hal about it, Helen because she asked and Hal because he wanted and needed to know. She said nothing to Nick. Gynaecological details were not his scene.

Diana did better than the doctor had forecast. She received a letter from Pitsbury District Hospital on Friday asking her to come for a scan at ten-thirty the following Friday. That was quick and easy. She then had to wait a further fortnight for her appointment with the gynaecologist.

That went well too. "We can see no problems," the pleasant woman of much Diana's age said. "So, when you're ready, drop the birth control and see what you both can do. Let me know personally how things go and I mean either way. When you get pregnant it would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on you in view," she grinned, "of your advanced years. I'll write to your GP and let her know that I've granted you direct access to me."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.