The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

Diana was happy; very, very happy. She had cast off her misery about Garry. She would always love him and never forget him but she had given in to the feelings that had developed about Hal. It had started with his easy friendship when she first arrived and developed while she nursed him after the accident. His quiet, warm sympathy over the bullocks had accelerated the feelings; feelings that had frightened her and caused her to tell Helen of her worries when Nick had announced their holiday plans but now had vanished. It was Hal with his shyness and determination not to upset her that had done the trick. The fact that he was that much younger than her did not worry her one bit. He was very mature for his age, responsible, warm, caring and brave even if his shyness denied it. He had not grumbled once during his convalescence despite a lot of pain initially and then he had pushed himself with his exercises which were also painful. Throughout he had been considerate of her and expressed his gratitude even if it was shyly understated.

Hal was happy too, ecstatic even. This wonderful girl whom he thought was beyond his reach because of her age and her grief over Garry returned the love he had dared not show. He restrained himself from hugging her tighter. He might inadvertently hurt her not that she was a delicate little thing but fit and strong. All the same she was still a girl and a slightly built one at that. He would hate to hurt her in any way.

They stayed as they were for a good half hour until Diana loosened her hold and sat up. She gave him another of her warm but gentle kisses.

"Time for bed, my love," she whispered. She noticed the immediate worry in Hal's eyes.

"Not together though, Hal dear. I'm not on the pill or anything and I might not be barren so we mustn't take any chances."

Hal looked relieved and nodded. "I think we might be being a bit quick off the mark too but I look forward to it when the time is right."

"Me too."

Hal switched off the music centre, rose and pulled Diana to her feet. She came into his arms where he held her as gently as ever.

She raised her head. "Kiss?"

He did so and her hand went to the back of his head pulling him more firmly into it. Her tongue found his lips and probed gently. Hal responded with a groan and his tongue came to meet hers. It remained a gentle kiss.

It was Hal who broke it. "I love you, Diana. Very, very much I love you, my darling."

"Same here. I want to stay in your arms all night but we've both agreed not to so come on, my darling man. Go and lock up."

"Yes, mother."

"Idiot!"

They both chuckled and with a further peck on the lips broke. Like the previous evening they went upstairs together, paused for a rather longer kiss than then, whispered goodnight and went to their rooms.

Breakfast took rather longer than previously as they had to say good morning properly to each other. Hal eventually got away, Diana having promised to take him coffee mid-morning. He also took a thermosful to see him through until then.

Diana checked out the shop and then went back to the house to do some baking and telephoning. She drove to Hal in the Wood field at ten-thirty. It was as well that she did. He was at the far corner from the gate and it was a big field.

Hal greeted her with a hug. "Three hours without you is a long time," he smiled.

"Flatterer. Are you frozen again?"

"Nope. I have my love to keep me warm."

"Soppy flatterer!"

They laughed happily and had to have another hug. Nothing more was said until they were seated with their coffee and a biscuit on the back of the pick-up.

"So what have you been up to, my sweet?" Hal asked.

"Quite a lot. A batch of scones for Millie and mixing the dough for bread which I shall put in when I get back. What I've also done is arrange for my medical records to be sent from Tidworth to the surgery in Misborough."

"I'd've thought you'd have done that a long time ago."

"No need. Anyway, I've made an appointment for next Tuesday to collect a prescription for the pill and also to talk to the doctor about fertility testing."

"Mm, we need to talk about that. Has Mum ever mentioned the de Laix legacy to you?"

"Yes which makes it even more important to see if I can have babies or not."

Hal nodded.

"I wasn't entirely truthful with your mother when she interviewed me," Diana went on. "I told her that with all our moves and postings and Garry's overseas tours we'd never got round to doing tests. Actually, Garry couldn't bring himself to believe that he might not be fertile so refused to be tested so I decided I couldn't be bothered either. It also gave me the feeling that he might not actually be all that interested or keen on having kids."

"Oh, Diana, that must have hurt."

"It did but I loved him enough to go along with it."

"Oh, my sweet! You're very special."

"Thanks. Kiss?"

They did, again gently but with much love.

"Hal, my sweet, I must go and bake that bread or Millie'll have my guts for garters."

"OK. I hope I don't die of desertion."

Diana made a rude noise, hugged and kissed him. She gathered up her bits and pieces including Hal's early thermos, gave him a fresh one and with a wave was gone.

Hal watched her drive away. She waved when she got to the gate and he waved back.

"That is one very special girl," he thought, "and she loves me too." He gave a whirl of happiness and went back to work.

He managed to finish the repairs that morning much to his delight. It might be necessary work but it was pretty boring. He was a bit later than usual back to lunch and Diana laughingly chided him.

"Ah, my love," he replied airily. "For you I worked extra hard and finished so that I could be with you this afternoon."

Diana caught it immediately. "Don't think for one moment, young man, that you've earned yourself a prolonged period of nookie."

"As if I ever would! No, I shall visit the sheep and hope that you, my love, will come with me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.