The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 8

Hal came in at half past three, shivering. There was no sign of Diana. She was presumably at the shop. He put the kettle on. Just as it was boiling she came in.

"Ooh!" she exclaimed. "You must have extra-sensory whatever. Tea is just what I need. The shop went wild this afternoon until about quarter of an hour ago."

"It might do again."

"Millie doesn't think so. Apparently it's the Wednesday pattern."

"Why? I'd've thought Friday would be the rush with fresh things for the weekend."

"Same here but it ain't."

"You live and learn."

"Pompous old thing!"

"Old? I'm younger than you."

"Yes, little one, which is why I have to look after you."

Hal cocked a snook at her.

"Smacked botty!" she threatened.

Hal cowered. "Yes, ma'am! Sorry ma'am!"

They both laughed happily.

As he finished his tea Hal said, "I'm going to have a hot bath."

"Sounds good! Can I join you?"

"Diana! You're the one that deserves a smacked botty."

She pealed with laughter and then recovered herself even though her eyes were still sparkling. "Ay am NOT into flagellation, Mr Downsman," she announced.

"Damn!"

That set them both off again.

"I'm off," stuttered Hal.

"Would you like me to come and wash your back?"

"Diana!" Short pause. "Yes please."

"You can wish."

"Spoilsport!"

"You're asking to get your bottom smacked again."

"I thought you weren't into flagellation."

"Not as a flagellatee but I'm happy to administer one to naughty, cheeky little boys."

"Now she tells me."

They both exploded with laughter and Hal went upstairs for a nice, hot, warming bath.

He enjoyed it and lay there soaking for a while.

"We're back to having fun," he thought. "It'd have been awful sort of prowling round each other for fear of upsetting the other one. Even so she's said some quite provocative things like could she join me in the bath or come and wash my back but she was only teasing like all that flagellation rubbish."

He chuckled and then set about washing himself. He was back downstairs by six.

"Come on, woman, where's supper then?"

"Not for another hour. I can't help it if you skive off work early. Go and do something useful."

Hal paused for a moment wondering if there was anything he'd missed. No, she was just pulling his leg.

"Like pour you a drink?"

"That's more like. A lemonade and lime please."

"Your every wish."

He did that and poured himself a light ale.

She smiled. "Thanks, Hal," she said warmly but, unable to restrain herself from teasing him, "a bit mingy on the ice."

"When you've drunk a bit and the ice has melted I might consider topping you up."

"Oh you would, would you?"

"Yup! With a touch more lemonade and lime if you felt the extra ice might dilute it too much."

"Oh Lord!" she said. "You really are back on form."

"I have a wonderful psychiatrist."

"Come here, you cheeky monkey."

Very gently she smacked his face. "But you're a nice, fun, cheeky monkey."

He looked down into her laughing eyes. He was unable to retort but turned away abruptly.

Diana gave herself a mental kick. "Stupid girl!" she thought. "A little harmless flirtation but he, sweet, innocent man, takes it seriously. Behave!"

Hal went and sat down in the sitting room. His mind was racing. He found Diana very, very attractive. She was very pretty. She was slim and yet fit, no little waif. She was fun with a quick sense of humour and a tease but could cope with being teased back. He was drawn but she still had the death of her husband hanging over her. He must not infringe on that. He must not upset her. Why? Because of her bereavement but also because, despite the way she had cared for him after his accident, despite the way she had fitted in to farming life and shown an interest in it and was a natural with animals and despite his parents clearly being fond of her, there was the fact that she had no children. It might have been that Garry was the one who was sterile but he, Hal, had, had, had to remember his responsibility to the de Laix legacy.

"I love her," he thought. "If she ever leaves us I'd miss her terribly, desperately but I can't tell her until she's got over Garry and been tested positively for fertilility."

He went back to the kitchen. "What do you want after supper?" he asked. "Music or another video?"

Diana looked at him and realised that he would be more comfortable with music.

"Music!"

Hal smiled delightedly which pleased her. She had got it right. He went back and moved the sofa so that it was back in the music position.

Supper was a quiet, pleasant meal. Diana sensed she had teased him enough.

"So now," she said, "you're back into a relatively quiet season. What are you going to do with yourself?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.