The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 2

Mary Sykes duly delivered Diana two mornings later. She did indeed not have much luggage, a trunk, a couple of suitcases and a number of plastic carrier bags.

"Leave the trunk in the hall," ordered Helen. "I'll get the men to take it upstairs later. Coffee for you both?"

Mary declined and left.

Helen and Diana moved to the kitchen where Helen put the kettle on and they made desultory conversation until the kettle had boiled and the coffee brewed when they sat down at the kitchen table.

"I've been giving how you might work a bit more thought," began Helen.

"Yes?"

"Knowing you can drive we're going to insure you as a named driver for Nick's and my car so you can do the shopping without having to use the bus which takes an age to get in and out of Pitsbury and goes half way round the county to get to Misborough. Mind you, we're largely self-sufficient for meat, veg, bread and eggs."

Diana nodded with a smile.

"All of which means really only a weekly run."

Diana nodded again. "What about milk? Have you got your own cows?"

"No. It's all bullocks for beef."

"OK. It might still mean only a fortnightly run. Unopened milk and butter keep for ages in the fridge or freezer."

Helen grinned ruefully. "You're probably right. I can plan running a shop but I'm less good at planning shopping. Anyway, what I thought was that you could probably crack the housekeeping in a couple of hours a day and then after you've had a cuppa join me in the shop."

"What about lunch for your husband and son?"

"That's a variable feast. They come in when they can, sometimes together sometimes on their own. I normally just stick some bread, cheese, pickle, lettuce and tomato on the table and leave them to get on with it. They're very good at tidying up afterwards. However, we're into the busy season. Lambing's about to begin and then shortly after that's over it's shearing time, both of which are time consuming and thirst making so lunch goes for a ball of chalk. What I'd like you to do is take them coffee at eleven. They take a thermosful each with them after breakfast but that's gone by eleven and then take them a picnic at half past twelvish. Then tea at three and five."

"OK. What about breakfast and supper?"

"I've always done that. Breakfast's at six and supper round about seven, depending on when they get in. Both like to have a shower and change before sitting down."

"I bet. Wouldn't you like me to do the cooking as I'm living in?"

"Would you really? You're going to spoil me."

"No. You've got your shop to run."

"Thank you, Diana. That would be a great help."

"Good."

"Right! Well let's plonk some lunch on the table and then I'll show you the shop."

They did that and Diana began to learn where things were kept. She was most impressed by the shop which was cosy but had a very large and well organised storage and preparation area at the back. Helen did her baking back at the house. Diana also met Millie who helped in the shop.

She then went back to the house to start her unpacking and to poke round the kitchen and utility room to see where all the things she would need lived.

Helen came back at twelve. "Just to introduce you to my boys," she said.

Both men came in together. Both appraised her as they shook hands and clearly liked what they saw, both smiling warmly at her.

"No more Mr Downsman; Nick," he said sternly.

Her "Yes, sir" brought a warm chuckle.

After that little was said. Both men ate hungrily and then got up from the table, Hal grinning at his father. "No clearing up anymore." He winked at Diana who smiled back.

"Not so fast," said Helen. "Would you both carry Diana's trunk up to her room?"

"Which one?"

"Far back."

"OK. If you decide to leave us, young lady, you'll carry it down yourself," said Nick.

"Fair dos," riposted Diana with a grin.

She settled in quickly finding the family easy and friendly. Appreciative too, all of them congratulating her on her cooking. That went on for ten days only. Hal stuck his head into the kitchen half an hour after breakfast was over.

"We're off," he said. "Five lambs overnight."

"OK. Do you want thermoses of coffee?"

"Thanks, Diana. I'll be out in the maternity ward and Dad'll be shuttling between there, the barn and the kindergarten. You know where they all are, don't you?"

Diana nodded.

"Oh!" added Hal. "Use the second pick-up. It's parked outside the barn. The key's in it."

"OK. I'll catch you up in about ten minutes."

Hal smiled and left.

Diana made the coffee and took the two thermoses out to find the pick-up. Nick's was also parked beside the barn. She left one thermos in it and went into the barn. Nick was examining a lamb.

"I've left a thermos of coffee on your passenger seat," she said.

"Thanks, Diana."

"So far so good?" she asked.

"Fine. All healthy both mothers and lambs."

"Great! I must go on out to Hal."

"OK. I'll be taking this lot out to the kindergarten and then I'll follow. Tell Hal about half an hour."

"Right oh!"

She found Hal sitting on the gate of the maternity ward, his motorbike nearby.

"Great!" he smiled at her. "I won't touch it yet though or I'll be dying of thirst next time you come round."

"She smiled back. "Your Dad said he'd be about half an hour."

"There'll be another half dozen for him by then."

"Any problems?"

"Only one, a breech, but I got him out safely. Four lots of twins so far. No triplets yet, thank goodness."

"Why thank goodness?"

"The ewes only have two teats so we have to find a foster mum. It's not always easy."

"Why not?"

"She's happy with one."

Diana nodded.

"Do they all go on to the kindergarten?"

"They will this year. This field's about grazed out."

"Is there enough room over there?"

"Yeah bags. It's twice the size of this field."

There was silence. Diana had her housekeeping to do but was fascinated.

"Ooh!" she exclaimed. "There's one being borne."

"They both watched.

"Uh oh!" said Hal jumping down off the gate. "The little bugger's stuck. I must go and help."

"Can I come too?"

"Sure."

They walked slowly towards the ewe so as not to frighten her, Hal pulling on some rubber gloves as they did so. Diana stopped when he signed to her. He knelt beside the ewe and wriggled a hand into her vagina. It went in some way before Hal stopped and then slowly started to withdraw it. Out came the lamb and Hal moved slowly away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.