Cents and Nickel - Cover

Cents and Nickel

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

Inside, Ellen took Dollars into the kitchen. Moss said, "Cents told me you would be willing to ride on New Year's Eve?"

"Yeah, Sarge. I'm not busy and that helps you folks keep two in a car and maximize the cars on the road."

"Good. I plan to pair you with the newest corporal even though the promotion isn't official until the first. I was going to announce it at shift end but a little sooner won't hurt."

He stood up. "C'mon." I followed him into the kitchen and noticed that he looked at Ellen with a smile.

Ellen said, "Hiram, what's on your mind?"

Dollars said, "Hiram! Sarge, your first name is Hiram? Oh, this is too good."

Moss said, "Hrmmph! Yes but it isn't used very often." He shrugged. "Anyway, I'm moving up the announcement a bit. Ingram, you are not properly in uniform." He reached for a package Ellen was holding. "Go, put this on, Corporal."

"This" was a uniform shirt with corporal's stripes on it. Moss said, "Are you able to follow instructions? If you need help, I'm sure Nickel will be glad to work the buttons for you." He grinned.

Dollars looked shocked but thrilled. "This is turning into a fantastic Christmas." She grabbed Mossy and hugged him. She turned to Ellen. "Thanks for the sewing." Ellen got hugged. I was next. She hugged me hard and kissed me harder.

"I didn't do anything but show up. You're very welcome. May I help?"

"No, Dear. I'll be out in a minute." She dashed into a bathroom. It was actually less than a minute when she reappeared with her new uniform shirt with her nameplate on it. She saluted Moss. "Thank you for the surprise, Sergeant. This is a very good Christmas." She grinned.

"Abraham, Dear, hold me." We each took a step and embraced. We kept an arm around each other but turned to face Ellen and Hiram.

Sergeant Moss said, "Congratulations, Cents. Those stripes look good on you and you earned them. Jorgeson gave me something for you to add to your shirt." He held out his hand with a marksman's badge lying in the palm.

Dollars' eyes widened. "Wow! Jorgeson told you to give me that?"

"That's right. He told me that a Marine gave it to him to give it to you. He said that you may have come in second Saturday but that you were no loser."

Her eyes went wider listening to his words. She turned to me. "Abraham, this was, is yours! I can't. I mean. It isn't. Kiss me, Dear Man."

I pulled her into my arms again and kissed her long and thoroughly. Ellen said, "Mossy, take lessons from him. You need to kiss me like that and we might have another child." They embraced and Mossy kissed her.

While they were kissing, Dollars whispered to me, "Pin it on my shirt, Lover." We untangled and I did what she asked. Perhaps I rubbed on her breast just a bit but I wanted to make sure it was properly affixed to her shirt. Then, I kissed her long and hard. She was breathing heavily when I finished.

Ellen and Mossy were watching. She said, "Hiram, set the table and say nothing." Mossy did as he was told.

After the blessing, we ate and enjoyed the meal. Dollars' eyes were excited the whole time. We finished eating and I kissed Dollars while Ellen kissed Mossy. Dollars whispered, "I can't wait to get back to you later, Abraham." One last kiss and hug and they left.

After closing the door, Ellen offered coffee and we sat in the kitchen to drink it. She said, "Where are things going with you and Cents?"

"We don't know yet, Ellen. It's been a whirlwind thus far. We both hope the tempo slows after the first of the year and we can just get to know more about each other and let the emotions calm down some. I don't really expect things to cool. I even doubt that they will calm down. She is a lovely woman and I am hopeful that she's the one for life. It's very promising. Right now, everything is promising and I really don't think there will be any surprises or changes. We just need some time to be routine and determine if our feelings are able to last for the long haul. We are both too old to be teenagers."

Ellen said, "But."

"But, the cold light of day still looks good. I meet her parents tomorrow and that will tell us both a lot. Her parents are important to Dollars and she has a great relationship with them. If we don't get along, it could be bad news."

"Do you really believe that will happen?"

"Not really. I just feel that it will be a major test of our long-term viability."

"Don't tell her. She is anxious about tomorrow already. She wants them to approve of you and really thinks they will. I think they will. Hiram and I both do."

"Thanks. I guess I need to head out. The church close to my farm is having a service soon and I'm invited. When I get home, I have a surprise to lay out for Dollars."

"Okay, go along. You two have a Merry Christmas, Nickel."

"Merry Christmas to you, Ellen. Tell Mossy for me."

"I will. Good night."

I left for the church making it with ten minutes to spare. The service was beautiful and I felt filled with the Christmas spirit for the first time in many years. The ladies of the church prepared light deserts for after the service and I went into the small fellowship hall for coffee and homemade sweets. I quickly decided that heavy deserts at this church would require a wheelbarrow brigade to get people out. Everything was great and I tried to nibble on some of everything. I was feeling at home here. I wanted to bring Dollars next Sunday if she wasn't on duty. I left for the farm.

I carefully mounted the ornament on the tree and focused a small spotlight on it. It shone like a beacon. I made a rusty nail and sat back to wait with Christmas music playing on the stereo. At twelve forty, I heard the Mustang pull in and park. I met Dollars at the door. We kissed and embraced.

"Dollars, I have surprise. I want you to close your eyes and let me lead you." She nodded and I guided her into the living room. I kissed her eyes open and said, "Merry Christmas, Darling." She opened her eyes to see the tree with the spotlight on the pewter ornament and her eyes widened.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.