Cents and Nickel
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

I poured each of us glasses of Pinot Grigio. It was quiet for a moment. I said, "You did marvelously well today. You are a great shooter. That's three very good scores on a tough course."

"I have run that course maybe twenty times and watched others on it even more. You've run it twice and shot possibles both times." She sort of shook her shoulders with delightful results. I suspected that she wasn't wearing a bra though there wasn't any sag.

"I learned to shoot in a harsh environment. Marine Recon is not a group that looks for nice people. We were taught to kill in a number of ways, most of them quiet. Guns are nice since they're further away and cleaner."

We finished our wine with a little more small talk and left. She was driving a Mustang GT, a nice car. We went to Outback in Opelika and arrived quickly. The meal was great and the company was both attractive and had intelligent things to say. I appreciated the time with her. We each had a glass of red wine with our meal. We finished eating and the check came. I put my hand over it and saw that angered look again as she placed her hand over mine. "Abe, the bet was that I would pay."

"I know but it's been an enjoyable evening and meal. I hope it's not over and you will join me for a nightcap at my place. I can more easily afford to pay and you lost under possibly unfair circumstances. You didn't know much about me and Mossy filled me in on you."

Her hand was still on mine. It didn't move but lost its tenseness. "That sounds good. The nightcap, that is. I still should pay. You beat me. Bullets don't lie."

"No, but people do."

"I don't think you would lie. You might not tell everything but I don't think you would ever lie to me."

I smiled slowly. "That's true." I pulled the folder off the table and looked inside. From my wallet, I put some bills into it and stood. I offered her my hand in coming out of her seat. She slid out of her side of the booth and stood showing an amazing amount of leg.

She grinned when she saw my eyes. "Master Gunnery Sergeant Easton, my face is up here." When I looked up, her eyes were smiling.

"I like to check out 'all' the terrain. It's such nice terrain, too." We left and I experienced another fast ride back to my farm. She didn't let me open her door but followed me inside. I removed my sports coat and tossed it to a chair. "What would you like?"

She gave me a long, slow look up from my shoes. "What are you drinking?"

"A rusty nail. It's half Scotch and half Drambuie. It's a good sipping drink."

"I would like one, too, please."

I fixed the drinks and brought them back. She pointed to the couch so I sat down beside her. "What's the little blue lapel button on your coat?"

"I wear it in honor and memory of my friends."

"Isn't it worn by Medal of Honor holders?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Would you tell me about it?"

"No, I can't."

The conversation lagged for a moment. I said, "Why did you become a cop?"

She smiled. She could tell I was changing the subject. "My dad was a cop. I'm an only child. He brought me up to want to serve. I've been on the force here for almost eight years. My parents live down in Greenville. When Sergeant Moss came on board, he took me under his wing and, over the last five years, I have learned how to be a cop in truth. I know I'm not bad looking but I want to be successful based on ability."

"Change it to spectacularly good looking and you'll be closer to the truth. You're also a great shooter." I grinned. "I'm an expert judge in both areas."

"I will acknowledge your expertise at judging my shooting. The jury's still out on the other issue."

She took another sip. "This is good."

"Be careful. It sneaks up on you."

"Abe, tell me about yourself."

"There's not much to tell. I graduated from high school in Tennessee and volunteered for the Marines just like my dad had. I was selected as a candidate for Recon so volunteered for that. My shooting was good even then. I went through the Recon course. I learned to shoot better and to fight barehanded. I enjoyed both. I entered a few matches and did pretty well.

"I was assigned to a team and did what we were told to do. After my last tour, I served for a while as company sergeant. That's where I met Sergeant Jorgeson while I finished recovering from a wound."

"What happened?"

"I can't tell you. Officially, it never happened. My medal wasn't publicized. Jorgeson knows only because he was present for the ceremony. He doesn't have the story."

"What did you do after the Marines?"

"My parents were killed in a car wreck while I was overseas. I only found out after I returned from deployment. They were only children as am I. Dad liked insurance so I was and am fairly well off. I applied to a few colleges and was accepted at Auburn among others. I've finished my bachelor's degree and am about half way through my master's in engineering. When I came here, I bought this farm and adopted the cat that came with it. It's not a very exciting life but I like it. Every once in a while, I meet a beautiful sharpshooter who makes my days and nights interesting."

She looked at me and smiled slowly. "I think that's probably more information than you have shared with anyone in a long time. Thank you." She leaned over and softly kissed my lips.

I pulled her closer and prolonged the kiss. We eventually pulled back. Her eyes were happy and I think mine were, too. She sat back on the couch. She took her drink and sipped it some more. I said as softly as I can, "You're very welcome."

We sat together slowly sipping our drinks. Finally, I said, "Are you off tomorrow?"

"No, I have to be at the office at six in the morning."

"You could stay here."

"I could but I won't. I don't want to explain it to my roommate. She wouldn't understand and I'm not sure that I would either." She shivered. "Please come by later tomorrow. I get off at three. I would like to see you some more and talk."

"Perhaps, I could take you to dinner tomorrow evening."

"Alternatively, I could cook supper for us. You could meet my roommate, too."

"After that, she might understand."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.